Best 28C tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vandenberg

by vandenberg

My 2c, from tyres I've used personally:

Challenge Parigi Roubaix open clincher: I've got 3000km on a pair and yes, they are fragile. After a few punctures in my first couple of rides I chucked in some mr tuffy liners and have only had one flat since, from a goats head thorn through the sidewall. The liners lower the ride quality a bit, but they're still better than a tyre with built in kevlar strips or such, a la gatorskin. These ride beautifully (even with tyre liners) and measure out to 29mm on dt swiss 1.1s. Also really nice on gravel and even single track :)

Continental Gatorskin: ride is okay. Better than most puncture proof tyres, but obvs not as supple as a gp4000 or the like. Puncture protection is outstanding. I also use 25s on my commuter and I average one puncture per 1500km or thereabouts on some really shitty Sydney roads. Some people complain about their grip in the wet, but I've never really had an issue except on my fixed gear.

Maxxis detonator: can't comment on the ride quality as these spent most of their time deflated from punctures.

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX: I have a brand new set waiting to go on my bike this weekend, will report back after a few hundred kms.

As for fatter than 28: I've never used grand bois, but really want to try them out as everyone raves about them. Schwalbe Kojaks are great, supple, reasonably puncture-resistant, and super-fat. Vittoria Randonneur Hyper (changed name to something else now) are really good too. Hypers and Kojaks are both really fast for such a fat tyre.

stefanot
Shop Owner

by stefanot

Been meaning to try some wider tubulars on my R5 but I'm not exactly sure how wide I can go. I do have a set of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX that I can tryout if they'll actually fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I've been racing Kermesse races on Challenge Parigi Roubaix tubies and IMHO is super tough; interesting I punctured one on tarmac and not on trails (too bad it was 200 yards before the finish line going for the first). Many of my customers expressed quite good opinions on Ultremo ZX 28mm. Just a couple of days ago received Challenge Parigi Roubaix open clinchers black/brown and Schwalbe ONE 28mm but have not tried ONEs yet. If anyone is willing to jump on Challenge PRs 27mm or ONE 28mm clinchers ping me.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

vandenberg

by vandenberg

Reporting back: did the shop ride on the Ultremo ZX 28mm and they're great. On A23s they roll beautifully, are fast, and plenty comfortable. Running 60f/70r, I'm 70kg. No complaints so far.

hurricanejosh

by hurricanejosh

i like the clement strada llg

they are available in 60 or 120 TPI clinchers, and are similar to a vittoria corsa cx or pave chevron tread (it's somewhat of a spring classics tire i guess, since LLG is the airport code for Liege). They dont' compare in quality to the vittorias, but they run $30-35 as opposed to $65-90.

the 28s weigh in at 250g