What's the recomanded difference between saddle height and h

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

CharlesM wrote:Now if only there was a correlation between the .01% of people with the proper physio to ride professionally and the rest of us...

I don't know about that... I have average proportions and I'm right on the lines for saddle height and reach and 1cm lower for bar height. I think it's good info, regardless.

In this chart, reach is "the distance from the tip of the saddle to the center of the handlebar", and stack is "the distance from the center of the front wheel to top of handlebar".

My understanding is that "reach" is measured directly from the saddle tip to the handlebar (i.e., along the hypotenuse of the imaginary triangle), and "stack" is measured directly from the center of fork dropout to the top of the handlebar (again, along the hypotenuse).

F. Atalay

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/2012/03/pro-bike-fit.html
Last edited by rruff on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

That's a pretty neat chart.

I'm well above average for saddle height - I have very long legs for someone might height - and am well below average reach. That makes sense, I think. If my torso is short for my height, my reach should be below average.

My flexibility also isn't so great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WasFab

by WasFab

I'm on spot with saddle height and reach but since I'm riding a frame one size bigger than what I could have so the headset is bit longer and the stack I ride is above average in 3cm. But I can still see according to the chart, marking of stack (green one) spread for riders like my height which ride above average same height like mine.

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

fabiancanchelara wrote:I'm on spot with saddle height and reach but since I'm riding a frame one size bigger than what I could have so the headset is bit longer and the stack I ride is above average in 3cm. But I can still see according to the chart, marking of stack (green one) spread for riders like my height which ride above average same height like mine.

You also have a longer TT which typically needs a shorter stem which tends to favor the weight distribution more rearwards than typically expected.

One more thing, on the chart previously posted, reach is measured from the tip of the saddle. IMO, this is a cause on its own for a deviation in results in reach as saddles come in different lengths for the same width, some pronounced as much as 1.5 cm., the SMP for example measures 27.8 cm long vs. the 26.5 cm of the Fizik, etc. I prefer measuring reach from the back of the saddle.

I find what this guy said spot on, specially the sentence about reducing power less:

eric wrote:Set the saddle position for best power, then set the handle bar height and reach for aerodynamics and comfort.

For saddle position, the Lemond formula for seat height is a good starting point. Knee over pedal spindle is the traditional seat fore-aft position starting point but for road racers, 1-2cm behind KOPS is probably better. Slightly too low reduces power less than slightly too high, so err on the low side.

Reach and bar height are more a personal preference. It depends on your core strength, flexibility and how long you will spend in the saddle.

WasFab

by WasFab

Dcgriz wrote:
fabiancanchelara wrote:I'm on spot with saddle height and reach but since I'm riding a frame one size bigger than what I could have so the headset is bit longer and the stack I ride is above average in 3cm. But I can still see according to the chart, marking of stack (green one) spread for riders like my height which ride above average same height like mine.

You also have a longer TT which typically needs a shorter stem which tends to favor the weight distribution more rearwards than typically expected.

One more thing, on the chart previously posted, reach is measured from the tip of the saddle. IMO, this is a cause on its own for a deviation in results in reach as saddles come in different lengths for the same width, some pronounced as much as 1.5 cm., the SMP for example measures 27.8 cm long vs. the 26.5 cm of the Fizik, etc. I prefer measuring reach from the back of the saddle.

I find what this guy said spot on, specially the sentence about reducing power less:

eric wrote:Set the saddle position for best power, then set the handle bar height and reach for aerodynamics and comfort.

For saddle position, the Lemond formula for seat height is a good starting point. Knee over pedal spindle is the traditional seat fore-aft position starting point but for road racers, 1-2cm behind KOPS is probably better. Slightly too low reduces power less than slightly too high, so err on the low side.

Reach and bar height are more a personal preference. It depends on your core strength, flexibility and how long you will spend in the saddle.

can be more explained how to find the best power saddle position and what is KOPS.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Answering OP's question is not that hard really (and I'm quoting Steve Hogg here).

Assuming your saddle height is correct --

The drop should be so that in a 4h ride, you can comfortably ride the last 30min in the drops.

It really is as simple (and as open) as that. There is no way to calculate it, because it depends on more than just bike and rider measurements. If you can't rock the drops, readjust.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have a formula that is spot on.
Shoe size in sidi= s
Number of digits on left hand= L
The day that your favorite classics race fell on in the year 2000= c
Number of recommended daily servings of fruit per day = f

Handlebar Drop= s/(L+f) - cL

Please note that if you are taller than 2m, then you must always substitute c for the R which equals the number of km of your longest ride / the average perceived effort of that ride on a scale of 1-10...where 1 is easy and 10 is hard. UNLESS you where riding a campagnolo equipped bike where the scale should be 1 - 11. :beerchug:

G6612

by G6612

Where do you measure the seat height from? for this chart.

fa63

by fa63

I am pretty sure it is from center of BB to top of saddle, along the seat tube.