HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:03 pm 

I want to share this info with my fellow weight-weenies!

Already for quite a while I am very interested in the Selle SMP concept.
http://www.sellesmp.com/en/full_carbon.htm

And I am curious about other members or riders that have riding experience with the Selle SMP concept.

Currently I am riding a 80gram AX Lightness Endurance without any problems on my GIOS. And a Fizik Arione on my winter bike (Ridley) I tend to dislike the Arione but it’s not really bad ….

So since My Fizik Arione on my winter bike is worn out and this is not a saddle I do want to ride again I thought lets try this Selle SMP in full carbon version.

It came in yesterday 6 February 2008 and I have to say that the finish is great! The surface is really nice no irregularities at all!

The claimed weight for this saddle is 105 grams. But as you see in the pictures I added, the actual weight is 112 grams … so it puts in 7 grams overweight (probably the Italian scales issue again).

I like to hear your opinions.

And off course I would like to hear the riders that have experience with this saddle or other SMP saddles in the same concept.

Attachments:
Selle SMP 02 ww.jpg
Selle SMP 02 ww.jpg [ 20.72 KiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
Selle SMP 01 ww.jpg
Selle SMP 01 ww.jpg [ 18.75 KiB | Viewed 3615 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:40 pm 

Test rode a bike with an SMP saddle installed and my impression was that was, similar to the Aliante, pretty much a one-position saddle -- which means there wasn't much room to maneuver onboard.

Granted, my ride was over some flat roads and no real climbs, I was unable to test the downturned saddle nose position.

You may miss the multiple positions on your Arione, but if you're the type who likes to get comfy in one position, this may be your saddle.

Just remember to stand on the pedals every once in a while...

:D

6.29 kg and dropping...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89221

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:40 pm 

Best saddle in the market for prostatic problems, no pressure at all, i love them, except for the width. I need 143 at least, so i bought Strike Pro wich is 145, and it´s awesome. I can ride with them 20 hours ;). But it´s true is one position saddle, and pretty heavy (300 gr) and expensive, and too stiff shell for mtb, every bump hit in your ass .

This one you are showing is the best of all them, but its price its astronomic. If you have the money buy them and you never sit in another one. Believe me.

And a suggestion for SMP, please focus yourself in produce diferent width options. . There are only 1 option for 143, and another for 155. Rest of catalogue are 130, that´s a big mistake. These are expensive stuff for serious riders, when you spend that amount of money you expect the perfect saddle for you.

If the catalogue would include 143 Carbon, i´d buy it right now. But my only choice was to buy Strike Pro which in fact is more a recreational saddle than any other thing.

Regards

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:52 am 

I have an aliante and sat on a selle smp and thought i permenantly injured myself. It felt like i was sitting on two railroad spikes. Not my cup of tea....but that's just my opinion. That is very light, i must say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:44 am 

Zeed or anyone else out there, have you found a lighter saddle that fits as well as the Aliante?

90s Merlin Extralight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 am 

I ride a Selle SMP Pro like Beatnik. I have chossen this saddle because it's the only saddle in their programme that is wide enough. I love the feel of the saddle and so my does beloved parts !!!

But I like Beatnik wish that they would make a wide saddle that also is light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:56 am 

I tested the SMP Full Carbon on the roller yesterday evening (a classic roller not a newbie triangle with several options just a plain 20 year tacx-roller).

I did one hour at 110rpm avg (48km distance). I have to say I am impressed by the way this saddle seems to perform.

First I thought the saddle could be to short for me. Because of the “wave” in the saddle deck and the downward pointing saddle nose it looks short. But riding it is a new experience. Normally on a one hour roller training I do have to get out of saddle and reposition for about two to three times.

With this saddle “Selle SMP” I did not even once feel the need to reposition. For me this seems to fit quit well. Despite the fact that it’s is only 129mm width (my AX Endurance is 135mm width).

I am very very enthusiastic about this saddle and I did not even fine tune my position yet! So I hope after a 1000 km and fine tuning my position I will still be pleased.

Today I will test the saddle on the road for another 90-100km and so I will on Sunday.

I keep you posted.

I am still very interested in the opinions and experience of other riders.

@ journeymonk
Thanks for your input. I live in the Netherlands it is flat here. And I am the kind of rider that takes one position in the saddle and three hours later just before I come of the bike my position will be the same. Could be the right saddle for me … otherwise it is a lot of money down the drain….

P.S.The claimed saddle nose position for climbing maybe a nice idea that erupted from the brains of some physician that SMP consulted, but after 27 years of experience in the saddle on a racing bike, I do vastly believe it is B-S. On my AX Endurance I stay in the same position on a climb only on longer climbs like Mt Ventoux, Stelvio, Stilfser joch, etc. I tend to move a bit forward on the saddle. But that would be 1-2 cm maximum. But in my case it might be different because I like steeper build frames with a 74 degrees seat tube (like my GIOS). And I in 1994 I changed my position from a large setback to a straight seat post with no setback at all and a bit higher position. It feels to fit better.

@ Beatnik
Thanks for your input. I bought it already this my saddle on my scale....

I am used to a AX lightness Endurance that is 135mm width and actually quite long with 279mm.

The Selle SMP is 129mm width and 163mm long but I don’t expect problems at all.

In the old days I did ride Sella Italia Turbo and Rolls. The latter is 133 width and 275 long but those had a thick padding. Today the padding in the shorts is thicker and better so I do believe that it will fit. Until now I did one test ride on the roller (see above) and I am pleased with the result.

@ Zeed
Well that is possible. I didn’t experience this two rail feeling at all and on the roller I just did a ride on simple Nalini shorts (not a thick padding). It depends on your anatomy off course. I think that In Assos, Santini and Decente shorts it would even be more comfortable.

P.S.
IMHO 112 grams is not super light since AX Endurance and other AX products that are cheaper are also significant lighter. But 112grams is weight weenie worthy

@ Yiannis-Super 6.
I did sent you a PM

@ zak
Great to hear this but is it only the wideness or also the shape you like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am 

Width is a critical point for this kind of saddles, your ischia bones must fit correctly to avoid pressure in the prostatic area. I guess is more expensive to produce same saddle in 3 width options, but these saddles are handmade and expensive, in fact is a big quality stuff, i mean is not a cheap plastic saddle like Specialized f.i., but i wouldn´t care if they are even more expensive but i can choose my right width.

I know SMP boys surf that forum, please listen our demands. Regards

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm 

Amadeus wrote:
@ zak
Great to hear this but is it only the wideness or also the shape you like?

I have had big problems with bloodflow and tried different sadles until I finally tried the SMP Pro which solved the problems. I like the shape of the Pro saddle, but I haven't tried any of the more narrow models, since my sitbones are 13,5 cm apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:13 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Regarding the bibshorts, I personally prefer sparse padding a la Santini (Coolmax and Pro Top) even with a carbon saddle.

Incidentally a LBS nearby also rides the same SMP on a Willier Le Roi and he's very pleased with it as well.
My main concern however is that you'll probably end up pretty wet between the legs when riding in the rain.....Or am I wrong?

Ciao, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:10 am 

Quote:
My main concern however is that you'll probably end up pretty wet between the legs when riding in the rain

Let alone if your post snaps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:03 am 

the strike pro is the best seat ive ridden so far and ive ridden a few different brand seats.the pro hurts but it hurts in all the right places. i was disappointed with the carbon and not for the width issue but the design difference,the back curves up so much on the carbon version that it basically scoots me forward and i dont end up sitting in the right place,i find it difficult and uncomfortable to sit on it correctly. If they made the pro in a carbon version i would definetly buy it but i dont like this carbon one they have now i had to sell mine :cry: but if it works for you that's great,it is a nice unique exclusive seat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 am 

My findings until now

Last Friday I did ride 80km just comfortable ride at 105 rpm and 32,8 avg speed.
I adjusted the saddle position after 30km and put the it 1cm backwards (I did not expect this but I actually move a bit more behind the bracket on this saddle).

This first 80km on the road where nice and saddle is feeling comfortable to me.

Yesterday I did 148 km in a group ride the first 92km at 33,0avg speed after a short coffee stop another 56 km. Together with only one friend. So when I got of my bike I realised that I have been on my bike for more then 4 hours (I just had a short coffee break). The ride was perfect I only did a small adjustment by dropping the saddle nose a few millimetre.

Until now I am very very pleased.

Actually I was worried about the rear curving up so much also, but to me it fits perfectly (until now that is).

I will keep you up to date.

After another 200-300 km I will report again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 am 

Does it cost like 410€ / 600$?

@ 112g!

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 am 

Hey Samu,

Price is quite high that's a fact.

But in the Netherlands you can get it for about € 375,00 (=$ 546,08 ).

I just had to try this. I was looking at the design for while and wanted to know if it is really working. They claim a lot of research that took place and almost only positive results. Untill now it is a fine ride.

But I also Like my AX Endurance very very much!

P.S.
I kind dislike the metal on the rails for protection. That's all. The AX Ligtness solution of wrapping the rails with an Aramid layer is better and lighter.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 am 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next