Your thoughts on a TT frame for endurance events

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Looking at buying an areo frame for endurance TT events (100mile plus and 12/24 hr events)

Want a more standard road geometry, carbon (stiff but comfortable). Weight is always an issue and there is so much variety between frames. As it be used in the mountains a lot I would like to keep the weight down on the frame and change wheels for the flat TT's.

I am considering a Look 486 or 386i, a Kuota Khan, Kestrel Talon SL .

Would love your feedback or idea's :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey, another dude from good ole Colorado. What part you from?

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

i know there has been dispute on this forum about this, but if weigth is an issue, why not look at the trek madone? i don't know prices on the kuota, but the looks are pretty expensive, so you wouldn't pay too much of a price penalty, and the madone is a lot lighter than any look, plus the geometry is pretty agressive.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Ok, not standard geometry, but a Giant TCR can't go amiss. Coming from the UK and TTing being the main cycling sport here, the Giants come out tops for TTing.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

I own a Giant TCR carbon a LOOK KG486 and a LOOK KX, I would say for long events the KX rocks, it is nice and relaxed. But then again you testers can stay down for long periods, so if you want to get nice and over the Bottom bracket probably the KG486 74 degree seatangle, pretty steep so easy to get forward, coupled with Oval R900 fork it is a nice bike

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I'm in Denver. I looked at the KX lite. Nice ride. I am not a fan of lugged carbon frames. I know they have come a long way in a few years. I have two Giant MTB bikes, and while they are great rides, the road bikes I have ridden, I would class as brittle! Not for me for long distance riding. I run an eddy M Ti. Nice ride relaxed fit and smooth. As for trek that's something to think about. Their TT bike is only a 74 seat angle - not agressive for a TT bike. I will check the malone.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

The old Giant used to be a bit of a shock to the system, but were real racers, make no mistake they were fast, just not very forgiving. The Carbon edition of the TCR seems to have blended both nicely, to some it may feel a bit softer, but I think that when you come from Alum TCR to carbon you might at first confuse dampening for flex.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bill F

by Bill F

I am having a frame built right now by Marinoni - a Montreal Canada based fabricator that will fill the requirements you have mentioned. They have a Web site www.marinoni.qc.ca but don't have a sample of the frame posted. I've owned their product before and have been very satisfied. The tubeset will be provided by Columbus.

Another option for you to consider is Specialized S-Works E5. It has an aerotube set (Columbus Star Ship tubing).