AX Morpheus Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

In case someone missed it, here's a link about the Ax crank:

http://www.ax-lightness.de/xist4c/web/A ... 21689_.htm

available as compact now

/a

edit: changed link to Ax site directly
rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Don't these awesome cranks deserve their own thread?! :)

As some of you may know, I'm not impartial about cranksets. The carbon arm/axle and arm/spider construction are impressive feats of engineering. Well done on implementing pedal inserts similar to Stronglight ALS system for the variable arm length. Especially the deflection values strike me as rather impressive! :thumbup:

One small remark: It seems the Q-factor of the AX Morpheus is as unfavorable as the THM as well as the M5 cranks. >150mm isn't low profile enough in my view. :roll:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

mythical,

Per AX web site, "Oversize 30 mm hollow aluminium spindle with proprietary multi-tooth profile:
the spindle easily withstands powers of 500 Nm as being put out by good sports cars". You wrote "carbon arm/axle ... construction" - are you referring to someting other than the hollow aluminum spindle, or noting the interface of the carbon arms to the alu spindle?

mythical

by mythical

HammerTime2, I referred to a carbon arm with an axle, deliberately omitting the specified material of the axle in my description, while I'm under the assumption that this has become common knowledge to the visitors of the AX website link. :smartass:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

djconnel

by djconnel

That's a very solid price, as well -- I was expected twice as high for an AX. Very, very cool.

WRT the stance measurement: curious why what would be a very small Q-factor for a mountain bike crank is considered way too large on the road. I think I could move my cleats 2.5 mm each to compensate.

Ruds

by Ruds

It would have been great if they made the MTB ones in 120/80 bcd to support the SRAM XX chain rings but there are of course many other options that will still fit.

Regarding the road Q-Factor, it's not always an option to move your cleats in if you already have them as close as possible. Even though this is the case with me I have me cleats / pedals in that position because they feel the most stable I don't think having my feet 5 mm further apart would bother me too much. Especially since the weight saving is so large! However with the UCI limit where it is I cannot afford to loose that much weight and I'd rather keep my SRM's.

Great looking bits of kit though :thumbup:

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

cool lookin' crank! :thumbup:

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Besides being uber sexy- the features and benefits are well thought out and executed with a solid design. :thumbup:
Its at a competitive price too. The Morpheus saves roughly 26 grams from the previous WW standard for years- the Clavicula.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

STARNUT

by STARNUT

$1225 US. Not to bad. Like DJ I would have not been shocked at 2x that. Hummm........ project :idea: :?:

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Does anyone know when we can expect to see these? Nils told me in an email that the BB30 version would come out with the standard one...just don't know when that'll be.

Martin1977

by Martin1977

You can buy them in some German shops. Here for example:
http://www.jedi-sports.de/index.php/cat ... -Road.html
but there is note "shipping on demand" so it does not look like they have it on stock.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Sounds like a pre-order

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Anybody??? Realease Date or release estimate date????

cmh

by cmh

I supposedly have one in the mail (USA, CA) and to be here in the next week or two. I'll post if/when it arrives...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm really looking forward to a review on these cranks. I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for them or not. I'm not in a huge rush to buy a new crank. I'm hoping these are as good as the hype.

Also maybe Nils can answer this...will the bb30 Morpheus be a "true" bb30 crank or will it use a sleave like THM? It's probably very similar to the THMs design. That being said does it minimize the purpose of the bb30 design not to use a 'true' bb30 crank?
Last edited by gumgardner on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.