Cervelo S5 Team weight Size 54

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajh

by ajh

so I finally found an in stock S5 so I could team up for the 1000 off. I did not want the ultegra group so I am selling to a friend and will build up with new 2013 red when it comes in or if that runs late Red "black" for now.

Here are the weights of the frame set items.

Frame- bare with front and rear derail hangers-1269 gr
fork uncut- with crown race - 352 gr
seatpost- 221 gr
seapost collar/wedge- 18 gr
rear brake mount- 18 gr and will be putting a ti screw there to lighten
Attachments
S5 team frame 54
S5 team frame 54
s5 team fork
s5 team fork
S5 team post
S5 team post
s5 team wedge
s5 team wedge
S5 team headset
S5 team headset
S5 team brake mount
S5 team brake mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

What's the finish quality like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Taozqs4I
More than 10 years a Weenie!

ajh

by ajh

There is left over polish in some areas and other than the pocket behind the bottom headset bearing that they could not get to with the polisher the finish is great. I have had an SLC, actually two as the paint came off the first one, an S3, actually tow of those as well because of a warranty issue and now a S5. This one has the best finish so far on the outside but I did like the see through tinted clear on my first S3 better than the black on this one.

the inside of the tubes, in the parts that I can see are also better finished. Both of my S3's had lots of bonding goop from attaching the headset races and bumps of plies tht had moved in the moulding process.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I am looking forward to build pics and final weight. This is my size frame, so good reference for me :D

Any plans to lighten the load with exotic componentry?
More than 10 years a Weenie!

ajh

by ajh

Nothing spectacular
2013 red- new of course
Zipp 404 fire crest tubulars " black" - existing
Fsa k force bbright crankset- replacing quarq and is only one actually designed for this and not using spacers like SRAM or rotor
Zipp cockpit or stock- not sure yet

purplefoot

by purplefoot

ajh,

How long is the seatpost? I'm thinking of getting the same size, but I need to have my saddle height at 79cm (short torso).

ajh

by ajh

post on mine is 300 and needs 50mm insertion

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

This is one of the lighter S5 weights I've seen so far (not VWD). Some of the early ones are getting in the 1300 range.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Very good weight.

My size 54 S5 team bare frame (with hangers) was 1.34kg, fork 359g. I was told mine was the first batch of S5 - excess from Team Garmin-Cervelo production batch.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94372

Looks like Cervelo improved on the weight.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

airwise

by airwise

So you have had four Cervelos and a 50% failure rate ? And you buy another? What some companies would give for such faith!

ajh

by ajh

One replacement was due to paint on the fist batch of SLC's

One replacement was due to a seatpost rocking issue on some S3's

Neither was a failure.

I keep going back because of the great customer service. There are not many companies out there that stand behind there produce as well as cervelo has for me. Why would I want to change?

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Perhaps you would want to buy a frame that doesn't fail? :noidea:

ajh

by ajh

I like new bikes for free. Why would I want to keep the same bike or have to pay for a new one? Also there were no failure. I could still be riding the first SLC but it would have many patches of no clear or of paint missing. The S3 may have developed an issue after a long time of the post rocking. It was more of an annoying cracking sound every time it moved that was a little discerning. The noise was just the bottom of the post wedge unsticking from the rear of the seat tube as I moved forward onto the rivet and then back again.

Also there are not many Aero bikes that I would like that has a combination of good price and support.

There is the Foil but they have a 5 year frame and 2 year fork warranty that is reduced to 3 and 2 years, respectively, if you do not pay for yearly maintenance checks. It will most likely be too stiff for the miles and miles of chip seal i have the displeasure to have to ride.

There is also the Specialized but I do not get any deal on the Venge and from a test ride and others reviews,again, it is not good for the miles and miles of chip seal that I have to ride. My friends have had great warranty experience from this company though.

I do not like the Felt AR.

Blue is incredibly hard to find and I have no friends that have them so I did not consider.

I would definitely consider a Trek as I can get a deal and they have good cust service but they are very late to the game on aero bikes. Actually thinking about it they have been late to just about all games since 1990.

ajh

by ajh

On other news I have already lost 2 grams as I have found a Ti bolt for the rear brake mount. I could lose another 2 grams going to alum but I do not trust that for a brake mount.

DrBigRing

by DrBigRing

So how do you like the S5 compared to your prior S3?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com