7900 Dura Ace brake pads on carbon rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

Hi guys.

I've spent the last hour trying to search for anything confirming that the standard brake pads that come on the DA 7900 brakes are compatible with carbon rims.
Nothing on the Shimano website or it's Tech Docs Archive area will confirm this.

Can anyone confirm that the DA7900 brake pads are fine for carbon brake surfaces?

thanks
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

They come with pads for aluminum rims. Most carbon wheels come with or at least recommend specific pads.

Rippin

by Rippin

My question is why would you want to run non-carbon specific pads on carbon rims?...unless you prefer diminished performance? :noidea:
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

Shimano makes pads for carbon and aluminum rims. I bought a 7900 groupo off of Ebay and my bike would not stop. The 7900 brakes were supposed to be the best, right? Turns out I had cabon specific pads on my my aluminum wheels! I bought aluminum specific pads and guess what the bike stopped. So to answer the OP question, no Shimano DA pads are not fine for both surfaces.

Here is the tech doc that has both pads. Item #16. I believe mine say "for carbon wheels" on the back side.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 713523.pdf

FYI you don't want to run one pad on aluminum and carbon wheels. The aluminum rims leave trace pieces of aluminum in the pads that will destroy the carbon wheels brake surface.
R2.5 / R3 / S-Works 29er (20 lbs) / S-Works SL4 Di2 (14.7 lbs)