Cannondale Hollowgram Si Chainset FSA chainring alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Hi
As above really.
My 2015 Sram Racing Edition came with the FSA chainrings and they just don't look as good as the Spiderrings.
However Spiderrings are pretty expensive so I was wondering what I should be looking at instead ?
Its gotta be all black too and preferably available in the UK/Europe or cheap and easy from the states.
I'd prefer one that doesn't need and adapters or anything but if they do please advise what is required.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beatle

by beatle

^yup

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Not that much cheaper than a Spiderring and not as nice looking for sure.
Any other ideas ?
Thanks

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Keep your eye on auction sites etc. I only just missed out on a brand new Spidering the other day that went for a little over a third of the price you would pay from a shop!!! Needless to say I was gutted I missed it!

Qman

by Qman

You could try BOR chainrings. Reasonable weight. Not many ride reports, but there are a few people using them who say they work well. All black, available in Europe, and not too expensive.

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Would these fit ok ?
Would I need any adapters of anything ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettenblatt-B ... 2192676340?

Qman

by Qman

Cranksets come in two different sizes for chainring bolt patterns. It will be either 130mm or 110mm Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). The ones you linked to are 110mm diameter, also known as Compact. You will need to check your existing chainrings and you should see either 130 BCD or 110 BCD stamped on them. You can also tell by looking at the number of teeth in the set of rings. Compacts are typically 50/34 but can be other sizes. The 130mm rings are typically 53/39.
If you get the wrong sized rings you can't get an adapter to make them work, so the new chainrings will need to have the same BCD as your existing ones.

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Hi
Qman wrote:Cranksets come in two different sizes for chainring bolt patterns. It will be either 130mm or 110mm Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). The ones you linked to are 110mm diameter, also known as Compact. You will need to check your existing chainrings and you should see either 130 BCD or 110 BCD stamped on them. You can also tell by looking at the number of teeth in the set of rings. Compacts are typically 50/34 but can be other sizes. The 130mm rings are typically 53/39.
If you get the wrong sized rings you can't get an adapter to make them work, so the new chainrings will need to have the same BCD as your existing ones.

I know about the BCD (110 on mine) I just wondered if there was anything else that I need to consider?

I think I 've sussed it.Its the fact a Spiderring doesn't have a spider thats had me a bit confused and was focused on the Spiderring fitting were it joins the crank arm that looked like a specific fitting.
I assume the Cannondales that come with Spiderrings also come witha five arm spider or would they have to buy that with whatever replacement chainrings they choose ?
So BOR chain rings above look right, any idea how they compare to the FSA ones they'd be replacing ? (SLKs I think they are)

Cheers

Qman

by Qman

Yes, the Spidering has a specific interface with the crank and requires you to remove the crank and have the special tool to get it off. When your Spiderings wear out you need to replace the whole thing, which is rather expensive. Fortunately they likely last a very long time.

It sounds like you have a 110mm spider installed on yours, so any 110mm chainrings will fit with no issues. Just remove the five bolts and swap the rings.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how the BOR rings shift compared to the FSA's. I haven't used them. A search on the internet doesn't turn up much, but a few people have said they shift well. FSA's are generally not highly regarded for their shifting.

headwind816

by headwind816

The new FSA rings that are found on the SL-K cranks shift fine, and I found them better than SRAM powerglide, MKV rings, and older Campagnolo rings. The new Praxis rings are great, which like the FSA rings, work for every group. The new SRAM Exogram rings are great, but I can only speak towards those with RED22; I can say that the FSA n10 rings worked perfectly with my Force22 setup.

I have used the Praxis with 6800 and Record with zero issues. The black wears down from the teeth with use, but you can consider that a built in wear indicator.

Me, I have those FSA rings on a 6800 setup right now, and I will be building up a Force22 bike shortly with a new set of those rings.

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Thanks guys.
Just wondering whether to go 50x34 or 52x36 now.
I`ll post some pics when all done.
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com