BB86 into Scott Addict frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

niall

by niall

A question for any Scott Addict owners. I was installing a Sram/Truvati BB86 bottom bracket into my Scott Addict RC frame last night. I installed the drive side first and when finished noticed the the BB had come into contact with the threaded metal insert that extends into the bottom bracket shell (I beleive this is for a cable guide bolt) and had the effect of slightly deforming the BB from circular to oval (its made of plastic). I had a search around the net a couldnt find anyone with a similar problem and I dont have a tool to removed a press fit BB. However I was able to install the other side of the BB with any problems (surprisingly). I think a solution would be to file a small section of the drive side BB to remove material where it is making contact with the metal insert.
I have a feeling this is not a problem if you are using a shimano press fit BB as its a slightly different design. Just wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

niall

by niall

I've realised that the threaded metal insert I'm referring to is actually for mounting the Di2 wiring harness and not for the cable guide. Im using a Sram groupset not shimano so has anyone ever installed a Sram BB86 into a Scott Di2 compatible frame?

clarkson

by clarkson

I installed one into a Di2 foil last week, with no issues to report.

For road use the plastic sleeve is optional, and only functions to keep the BB clean (or in the case of Di2 to keep the wiring off the axle), so I would trim away until it fits well. In lieu of having the proper tools, I've had success with removal through the back end of a socket extension and some careful tapping.