Light weight LOCKING QI skewers Which ones are good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

I am currently running fairly light quick release Ti skewers and wanted to buy a set of locking ones to use during a 6 day tour this summer. The bike will be parked at a variety of venues, (as well as hanging off the back of my car all summer) and I just want to reduce the “easy” snatch of my Zipp 808’s.

I know that if someone “really” wants them, they are gonna get them, but I was thinking if they couldn’t just flip and handle and walk off with them it may be a slight deterrent. Generally, petty theft is opportunistic, and if the opportunity is not there the risk is decreased.

I did some searches and I didn’t find a lot of pro’s and cons posted..

I found a few different styles online but couldn’t find and decent reviews either way?

What the general consensus from WW’ers that have tried them or heard feedback about them?

I was looking at something like.. http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Lock-n-Ro ... B002K2IYPY but would like to find something lighter that woorks good.
Thanks...

Rick
Somewhere south of Chicago IL, USA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dkwperth

by dkwperth

I just put a set of Pinhead skewers on. They're good so far, and the little key to fit them doubles as a bottle opener :) The skewers weigh about 65g. http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I needed an angle grinder to cut the excess thread off the skewers (only about 5mm), and unless you have the key they'd be bloody hard to get off (make sure you get a second key) because there's basically nothing to grip on.

I also got the headset lock, as that lock forks + headset + stem too.

Dave.

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

Thanks dkwperth,

I take it you have had pretty good luck with the Pinheads? No issues with them loosening or difficulty with the tool (ie stripping or wear?)

I found a setup that uses just an allen wrench ( ie http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0672327355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) that had me thinking...

I am thinking that I want something to make it more difficult for a petty crime to happen (the walk by and "hey look a set of Zipps un-attended...") , but don't need to make it any more difficult for me to use the bike. I am 100% sure if someone is casing out my bike and really wants it, they are coming with bolts cutters/grinders/prybar, etc and they are gonna get it...no matter what I lock it up with...

I am also in the classic car hobby and have seen MANY instances of guys loosing (or forgetting at home) their "key" for mag wheel locking lug nuts...and being really stuck when a tire change or maintence issue required them to remove the wheel and they couldn't...

If I went with a specialized "locking" skewer..I would loose the "key" or forget it in the car, or at home, or something...
Thanks...

Rick
Somewhere south of Chicago IL, USA

gospastic

by gospastic

I use a bolt-on skewer for my front road wheel that I sometimes use on the track. You just use an allen wrench to tighten it. I forgot what brand it is but it weighs somewhere around 35g I think.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Delta Axlerodz are solid I use them on my commuter. If you want something light, there are inexpensive allen key ones on ebay.

artray

by artray

I use tune skyline skewers , they weigh 19grm a pair ,no issues with them at all.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

I use Control Tech bolt on ti skewers, i haven't weight them, but they are fairly light. The thing with these locking and bolt on skewers is that they cause wayyy more hassle. I would highly suggest that if you go with these kind of systems on your wheels always remember to bring extra tools with you and keep them where you will know where to find them, ex. in your Jersey pocket or saddle bag, in the car and maybe a wheel bag as well. I learned my lesson after my brittle locking skewers bolt head stripped and losing one of my two tools to release them. If you buy one of the locking skewers remember to contact the manufacturer about extra unlocking tools that they come with.

I also remember'd that Performance Bike has some really cheap ones, 10 bucks with special locking heads and releasing tools. But if weight is your priority I'd look elsewhere. Also keep in mind that if you want more security, I'd factor in more durability than weight.... but thats just my 2 cents.

-Chris

TCx

by TCx

:thumbup: Tune Skyline :thumbup:

cerro

by cerro

Tune Skyline of course. Light, nice and good :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dkwperth

by dkwperth

as I said for the Pinheads, without the key they're nigh-on impossible to get off. Sucks if you forget the key then... but I commute to work and use a backpack every day, with the key tied in a pocket of the pack with a long bit of cord.

I did use an Allen key-style skewer for about three weeks, then lost the Allen key (it had a hole drilled in the end so you needed the special key, not just an allen key on your Park tool. I just got a pair of multigrips and took off the skewers. Then I decided anyone could get them off the same way in about 30 seconds, and went and bought the Pinheads. Happy so far and no problems whatsoever with wear or slip for skewers or key.

All this talk of Allen reminds me of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPepCVepCg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;