HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:49 pm 

I'm conceptualizing a new build - it won't be a WW build by any stretch, but i am looking to keep weight down. For this build I am looking for a set of low-profile, lightweight rims. A black brake track (e.g. carbon) would round out the aesthetics nicely.

I have a set of Soul S2.0 SL - 1330g, aluminum, and they've been nice and reliable for the past several thousand miles with Conti GP4000s, which are 205g each. Wheels + Tires would be about 1750g.

The Mavic R-Sys SLR are carbon, quoted as "1960g wheels with tires - WTS" (i assume that's "wheel tire system"). they're also quite a lot more expensive.

So what am I missing? is there a reason to prefer the Mavic over the Souls?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm 

I've heard Soul is working on a new version of their 2.0 wheelset. A wider rim and a black braking surface (like mavic).

Mavic might be a bit more durable, but i would stay with the Soul's or go with their new version.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:49 pm 

but isnĀ“t that two wheelset in completely different price range? :D i mean that you almost would get a wheel with carbon rims for the same price as the r-sys, at least not so much more expensive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 pm 

From what I've read I would guess the Mavics are stiffer but less aero with their squared off rim section and fat spokes. Apart from their badass looks, I really have no idea why anyone buys them, especially given the failure mode of the tubular carbon spokes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 pm 

I'd have the Souls over the mavics unless you are HUGE. Mavics haven't made much sense (except for the "off the shelf" buyers) for quite a while IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it IN. ;)

As for the Mavics, they make sense to someone who want's bombproof wheels that are light and that have a high weight limit. Are they worth the cost? I used to think I'd never be able to justify paying that much for a set of aluminum clinchers, but I think differently today.

FTR, I have a set of '11 Mavic Ksyrium Elites w/Conti GP4Ks. I see no reason for going with anything else other than bling. I don't ride in a way that I'd benefit from the aero benefits of deep carbon wheels (although I love the aesthetics).

I can't have a custom set built better than what I'm riding now for what I paid for them ($600./incl. tax, install, everything).

IMO, the best way to know for sure is to test ride a set of the Mavs you are considering under the conditions that you ride regularly and see if you notice a difference. I suspect that you'll notice a huge difference in stiffness and performance. But then again, it's not fair to compare a $500. wheelset to a $1,000.+ wheelset.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:26 pm 

I rode my mavic slrs for the first time this year today and it reminded me just how much I like them. They're not the lightest wheels nor the most aerodynamic but there is something about them which is just a pleasure to ride, plus the braking is just fantastic. The braking is so good i wouldn't ride any other wheels in the mountains at the moment they just give me loads of confidence. The only thiNg that bugs me is the coating wearing off in a few places. I know lots of people like to knock them but I'd give them a go if you're in the market.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 am 

Santoki wrote:
I rode my mavic slrs for the first time this year today and it reminded me just how much I like them. They're not the lightest wheels nor the most aerodynamic but there is something about them which is just a pleasure to ride, plus the braking is just fantastic. The braking is so good i wouldn't ride any other wheels in the mountains at the moment they just give me loads of confidence. The only thiNg that bugs me is the coating wearing off in a few places. I know lots of people like to knock them but I'd give them a go if you're in the market.

I had them too but I hated how heavy they were. I eventually sold them and purchased the zipp 404 tubulars...way better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm 

lots of interesting stuff.

I top out at 175lbs, pretty much, so the S2.0SL have been fine. the soul C5.0 could be stiffer, but I'm not going for really aero here.

alas, they do look hot.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am 

The Mavic wheels are too heavy you wont like them