HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Posts: 5
Why aren't we seeing more manufacturers jumping into the wide width aero wheel craze? We see manufacturers such as FLO and ENVE new in the competition. But I don't see why we are not seeing a lot more. From Easton, Reynolds, Shimano, so on.

Do these companies consider that the actual advantage of wide width wheels is too small to be of any importance? Even so, there is a pool of people who'd love to spend money on them. Or are they simply in a developing state?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 am
Posts: 655
Location: so. cal.
H.e.d. Does wide rims
So does zipp
Stan's road rim is wide
bontrager's newer runs are wide as well
Velocity has 1or 2 wide ruin designs there might be others which I an not aware.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am
Posts: 413
You are seeing more. HED has some. Velocity has some. Mavic even has some. Corima also has a wide carbon rim for track and TTs. Where have you been?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 114
Location: San Francisco, CA
Concur with Rocca and Bones. Also Easton rims are a tiny bit wider than most other rims out there. I know my Easton EA90SL are a smidge wider than my Ksyruim SL.

_________________
2012 Izalco Pro 2.0*Re-Grouped*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 am
Posts: 92
Location: ON, Canada
Shimano is apparently working on stuff. They've had prototypes out there for a couple years with wide rims but they're kept pretty quiet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Posts: 5
roca rule,bones // I never knew Zipp/ HED were new to the business. Just because I didn't list every single one of manufacturers who make wide rims doesn't mean that I don't know them. Apparently that never occurred to you. You think someone who knows that FLO and ENVE are new to the business doesn't know these two? Also, I don't think Velocity/stans are anywhere close to being in competition with zipp/hed/enve for aero wheels. Please don't tell me Ksyruim is the standard of which width of road wheels are judged from. I also know that some of Rolf wheels are wide but I read here somewhere that they get their rims from Zipp.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am
Posts: 413
smellycrotch wrote:
roca rule,bones // I never knew Zipp/ HED were new to the business. Just because I didn't list every single one of manufacturers who make wide rims doesn't mean that I don't know them. Apparently that never occurred to you. You think someone who knows that FLO and ENVE are new to the business doesn't know these two? Also, I don't think Velocity/stans are anywhere close to being in competition with zipp/hed/enve for aero wheels. Please don't tell me Ksyruim is the standard of which width of road wheels are judged from. I also know that some of Rolf wheels are wide but I read here somewhere that they get their rims from Zipp.



Oh lordy lordy lord. There are a bunch of assumptions in your schpeel that you just posted. I'm not going over all the false things. Please do a search on these companies. They DO have wide rims. Especially Velocity, which has more than one. Thank you crotchman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Posts: 5
velocity doesn't compare in the competition with zipp and Hed. Their 20mm deep 'aero rim' that's 500 grams each? Fantastic choice over Zipp. And you are welcome.


Last edited by smellycrotch on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Greve, Denmark
When is a rim wide?

Shimano rims have been close to 21 mm for many years, which is much wider than old zipp clinchers, HED clinchers etc. that used to be close to 19 mm.

New Giant wheels are 21,5 mm and I seriosly doubt that you can feel the difference between 23 mm and 21,5 mm.

_________________
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Adelaide, Australia
smellycrotch wrote:
velocity doesn't to the competition with zipp and Hed. Their 20mm deep 'aero rim' that's 500 grams each? Fantastic choice over Zipp. And you are welcome.


Have you thought that people might consider the Velocity rims/wheels to be used as a training wheel? but still have their tubulars for race day?

_________________
Focus Izalco Pro


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Posts: 3658
Location: Vicenza
smellycrotch wrote:
Why aren't we seeing more manufacturers jumping into the wide width aero wheel craze? We see manufacturers such as FLO and ENVE new in the competition. But I don't see why we are not seeing a lot more. From Easton, Reynolds, Shimano, so on.

Do these companies consider that the actual advantage of wide width wheels is too small to be of any importance? Even so, there is a pool of people who'd love to spend money on them. Or are they simply in a developing state?

Thanks


Comparing Flo to manufacters like Enve or even Easton/Reynolds/etc. .. :roll:

_________________
ciclismo-espresso.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Posts: 5
Velocity rims are for training and that's exactly why I don't think they are competing with zipp/hed. Majority don't think too deep into 'aero' when purchasing a set of training wheels or won't bother to get a custom set for training.


micky// They are worth mentioning. And I don't exactly get how I'm comparing FLO with reynolds or easton in that sentence. Thanks for your contributing comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 am
Posts: 655
Location: so. cal.
Somebody joined the forum with the wrong foot.
Enve
Zipp
Corima
H.e.d.
Bontrager
Stans
Velocity
Alex rims
Have wide rims.
Companies such as campagnolo, shimano, and Reynolds might not have those at the moment, but they might be in development, our maybe they have been concentrating, on tubeless, making the wheel stiffer, or lighter, etc.
there are other small companies like soulbike, or flo, but not every body knows those companies, and by no means they are real competition to any if the companies first listed.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 588
Location: Lyon
roca rule wrote:
Somebody joined the forum with the wrong foot.
Enve
Zipp
Corima
H.e.d.
Bontrager
Stans
Velocity
Alex rims
Have wide rims.
Companies such as campagnolo, shimano, and Reynolds might not have those at the moment, but they might be in development, our maybe they have been concentrating, on tubeless, making the wheel stiffer, or lighter, etc.
there are other small companies like soulbike, or flo, but not every body knows those companies, and by no means they are real competition to any if the companies first listed.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk


Reynolds has the RZR 92

_________________
BIKE DESIGN AND +

http://cds-0.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am
Posts: 413
smellycrotch has been living in a cave. Please forgive him as it's hard to get internet, TV, or really any good reading material where he is holed up. I am surprised that the cable or phone company made it out to the dump where he is at so that he could get connected.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Erlend, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jo.k, Saoi, unseen and 60 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Control Tech Viento SC

in Road

snailmale

5

400

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:01 pm

locktopus View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Clearance for Wide Rims

in Road

clc2010

2

858

Sun May 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Juggler View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo Bora or lightweight wheelset with wide rims??

in Road

jimborello

4

1149

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:24 pm

alexaqui View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Tubes for 25mm wide rim/25mm tyre

in Road

gordon

8

551

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 pm

gordon View the latest post


It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB