Kinlin Aero Data

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

I see a number of folks talk about the aerodynamics of Kinlin rims, but I have yet to any test data.

Is there publicly available aero data for Kinlin rims? If so, can someone please post a link?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I haven't been able to find anything, and I've been looking for quite a while now.

I'll keep my eyes peeled though..

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Educated guesswork.

There is an old Tour mag online that tested a bunch of wheels and I *think* one set used the XR300 rim (because it had the same dimensions)... and it did really well, even with a 23mm tire.

But I think the XR270 (it's wider and rounder) would be at least as good, and the XC279 (a lot wider and rounder) would be significantly better. Rounded wide rims are all the rage. I can attest that my set with the XC279 behaves very well in gusty crosswinds, which is another benefit.
formerly rruff...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Agreed rruff. I think the 279 is definitely the most aero out of the entire Kinlin lineup out on the road. In crosswinds it's so much better than the 300.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

what do people think of the aero of the XR-200 wheels? I've read in another older forum that it is quite "Kamm" What does that mean?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

verycreativeusername wrote:what do people think of the aero of the XR-200 wheels? I've read in another older forum that it is quite "Kamm" What does that mean?

Kamm tail... Should make a good shape on the front of the wheel so long as you use a narrow tire... 20mm max. Not so good on the back side though.

The lastest aero data really favors a wide rounded shape. The XR200 is a fine rim, but unless you are really going after a weight target, a Pacenti or XR279 makes more sense.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com