HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm 
in the industry

Think there's a lot of rumors up to now.
Internet says they'll stay with 130mm - but that - in my opinion - will cause new wheel constructions.
So perhaps there will be
a) wheels originally made for 11s with 130mm and
b) a solution to "upgrade" 10s wheels with new plugs for the axle and a new freehub body (would work at least for manufacturers that use constructions similar to DT)

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:28 pm 

Stuff looks good next on my list... Ventouxs or equivalent with the 180 hub in Black edition or a set of the new clinchers in black edition. Can't decide. Don't have cash for both...

Colnago C50
1975 Richard Sachs track bike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 am 

Carbonsports say "We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight (and still be one of the lightest carbon clinchers on the market!) combined with maximum safety and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin"

I have Standard C's. Can you clarify, please, what "without any safety margin" means exactly?

If I inflate tyres in accordance with your recommendations then surely I will be "safe"....in whatever conditions I find myself in?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 pm 

I am new to this forum. I will tell you this.

I will recommend that you seriously reconsider before buying Lightweight wheels.

My brother in law and I both bought a set of Standard Cs at a high end shop in Mass. July 4th weekend 2011.

In October, I rode mine in Levi's King Ridge Gran Fondo in California. The front clincher warped from the heat on the decents. Nobody would admit fault but they told me I "braked too often".

The dealer got the US rep to replace the wheel. It took 3+ months of me hounding them to get one. The wheel wasn't even 6 months old.

Now my brother in law in Florida has been waiting 2+ months for some word on his wheels. Both are out of true.

We weren't told about the $500 warranty, which seems ridiculous when you are paying $6k for a set of wheels.

They should at least have a one year warranty for normal use.

Last edited by trisilver57 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

Did you ride your Enve 65s also in the Levi's King Ridge Gran Fondo (or something similar)? How did they deal with the braking?

BTW: how much do you weigh?

PS: in some other forum there was a discussion about not using carbon clincher for this (or a similar?) ride in California, but I was under the impression that the Lightweight Standard C are not supposed to have this kind of problem... well, considering that they just presented a "new", "enhanced" version they probably do -- hopefully I won't run into that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:33 am 

I'm 6'1" and weigh 190.

It was the Lightweights that I rode in the Gran Fondo.

My Brother in Law is 5'9" 165.

He rides on smooth Florida roads and both of his are out of true.

Last edited by trisilver57 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 am 

They are a cool wheel.

I'm just frustrated that getting service and response from Lightweight seems to be a challenge.

Especially when you are buying a Ferrari.

My biggest fear is an issue down the road.

Not angry, just disappointed. Especially because I like to buy,maintain, and take care of nice stuff.

And we thought we were paying for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:20 pm 

I have to say that so far (over 2 years now) I have been really very happy with my wheels. Simply an amazing ride.

My concern is, however, when I read a statement from the manufacturer saying that there is 'no safety margin' and I feel very strongly that this should be clarified. What do you mean?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm 

Never had a problem with my wheels (standard III's, Tubular)

I really cannot get my head around the carbon clincher thing - but it's probably best not to start that debate again!

One thing I would never do with LW's, or any carbon wheel is use them on a crowded gran fondo course littered with unfamiliar descents................it's just asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:11 pm 

williamsf1 wrote:
rule 1 = ride tubs
rule 2 = see rule 1

"friends don't let friends ride clinchers"

Say hello to Billy No Mates:

Attachment:
2_photo_scanferla_0144_600.jpg
2_photo_scanferla_0144_600.jpg [ 39.91 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]

;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 

oldtrackie wrote:
Carbonsports say "We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight (and still be one of the lightest carbon clinchers on the market!) combined with maximum safety and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin"

I have Standard C's. Can you clarify, please, what "without any safety margin" means exactly?

Anyone at CarbonSports prepared to clarify the position, please? What 'safety margin' do Meilenstein's have and what 'safety margin' do 'Standard C's have?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:40 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

trisilver57 wrote:
They are a cool wheel.

I'm just frustrated that getting service and response from Lightweight seems to be a challenge.

Especially when you are buying a Ferrari.

My biggest fear is an issue down the road.

Not angry, just disappointed. Especially because I like to buy,maintain, and take care of nice stuff.

And we thought we were paying for the best.

I can't comment on the customer service, but apart from that the Ferrari comparison is pretty interesting, as in both cases it's a highly specialized premium product, with a clearly defined (not to say narrow) usage, and you should know in advance that "maintaining" (as in repairing) it requires highly specialized skills and tools.

(Disclosure: It's not like I'd not be dreaming of a set of Ventoux myself, though)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 am 

MattSoutherden wrote:
williamsf1 wrote:
rule 1 = ride tubs
rule 2 = see rule 1

"friends don't let friends ride clinchers"

Say hello to Billy No Mates:

Attachment:
2_photo_scanferla_0144_600.jpg

;)

I dont wanna start an OT, but some pros use clincer wheels for some TT (I think the ones with more straights and less technical).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 am 

oldtrackie wrote:

If I inflate tyres in accordance with your recommendations then surely I will be "safe"....in whatever conditions I find myself in?

Thank you.

I'd also like to see a response to this. I have Standard Cs. I've loved every minute I've spent on them, but am somewhat concerned.

Carbonsports?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am 

An interesting quote from CarbonSports, found on the web...

"Lightweight Standard III C wheels come with all technical innovations of our current Generation III wheels. The new all-carbon spokes and the direct bonding of spokes, rim and hub is taken over from our 'Standard' and 'Obermayer' wheels. New is the rim: It has to be light and stiff like on all our wheels; additionally, the sidewall must meet extreme physical demands. Rim dimensions are 48mm deep and 20mm wide.

Tyre pressure and brake calipers both put large lateral forces on the sidewall. Add to that the heat created by braking from high velocities, and you have quite a task for the engineering department. Carbon fibres excel at withstanding longitudinal forces, and the poor heat transfer capability of carbon fibre materials let temperatures rise quickly, possibly leading to problems both at the rim and for the pad compound.

We employ a special temperature resistant resin enveloping our high-tensile fibres to easily meet these demands."

...so apparently plenty of "safety margin" and no need for Meilenstein at all?!

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next