Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Your exactly right, gum.

(I am, most likely, getting Obermayers, mainly, for their uniqueness, not just their weight)

But you are totally correct. It seems now there response to weight querys is, "no wheel rides like a Lightweight".....

Which I am am sure is true, but......their name is Lightweight. So I don't think it is too harsh to expect a lighter wheel, you know.... that is their name.

I have a set of Enve 1.45 with Alchemy front hub and extralight rear hub and they are 995gm. (now I could get a 35gm front and get it to 965gm, something to think about).

My only question is if the Lightweight is as stiff and sturdy as advertised, it might be a better "Light-wheelset" for a heavier rider.

I just love the way they look. :mrgreen:
(I'm conflicted, I know :D )

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Except that other than that 'je ne sais qoui' factor the Lw's just plain ride, transfer power and roll really niiice.. You get yourself some Sprinter edition and never look back. Only other wheels that are remotely comparable would be a set of RAR built triplet Enves.
rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I'm thinking they may be aimed at the heavier rider end of the market. More weight = more braking pressure = more heat build up (and more rim wear).

There's no mention of an increased rider weight limit though (Standard C's are Front wheel 16spokes=110kg, 20spokes=120kg). Did Carbonsports find occasional issues at the extreme of the current limits and Meilenstein's just push the limits a bit further? That Slovenian site says something about a limit of an increase in material breakdown from 180'c for Standards C's to "higher" for Meilenstiens new carbon construction stuff.

Difficutly to know exactly how that equates to real world performance, rider weight, ambient temps, duration of brake, brake force.

Guess all we know is they are a bit heavier and a bit more resiliant.

Hopefully at 75Kg (when I'm heavy) + Bike, there's no worries here.

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Hi there,

the maximum total weight for Meilenstein C will stay the same as for Standard C: 120kg for the 20/20 combination, 110kg for the 16/20.

There is an issue with carbon clinchers (and this issue is the same for all! manufacturers): a clincher rim could totally collapse when breaking heat weakens the area that has to resist the tire pressure. That's the main difference to tubular type rims: they may delaminate, but still hold the tire safe and so still are ridable in some way.
For that reason we decided to set highest priority on heat resistance and stability, even if the rim becomes too hot (and every carbon structure can be overheated - only the critical temperature makes the difference!).
We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight (and still be one of the lightest carbon clinchers on the market!) combined with maximum safety and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin. What would you prefer?

If you want to ride the lightest full carbon wheel you have to choose a tubular.
If you don't want to pass on clincher type tires, go for Meilenstein C - and forget about some extra weight. Just be sure: it's extra safe!
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Interesting Andreas, as I havent yet received my wheels, but have paid for them, what advice would you give to me personally? Exchange them? Or is it too late?

Also, does this mean Standards C's are now going out of production, and only Meliensteins will be produces, or will you continue to make Standards C's for riders who are prepared to take the "no margin" risk to save 100g?

giro di lento

by giro di lento

The weight of the Meilenstein C is exactly the same as the standard C clinchers. The bikeradar post is incorrect. I got the information directly from Carbonsports for the blog post I've put up on the wheels. Like the Standard C's the Meilenstein are 100 gms heavier than the standard tubulars not clinchers.
Hope that helps. Blog post is here for anyone interested: http://girodilento.com/the-new-lightweight-meilenstein-c-carbon-clin
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Ok that makes thing a lot clearer then! Bike Radar are idiots.

So what do I do next, Meliensteins are the obvious choice and as I have consumer rights regarding distance selling and right to refund of unused goods withing xx days of receipt. Should I now take this up with the distributor I bought the wheels from?

williamsf1

by williamsf1

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Hi there,

the maximum total weight for Meilenstein C will stay the same as for Standard C: 120kg for the 20/20 combination, 110kg for the 16/20.

There is an issue with carbon clinchers (and this issue is the same for all! manufacturers): a clincher rim could totally collapse when breaking heat weakens the area that has to resist the tire pressure. That's the main difference to tubular type rims: they may delaminate, but still hold the tire safe and so still are ridable in some way.
For that reason we decided to set highest priority on heat resistance and stability, even if the rim becomes too hot (and every carbon structure can be overheated - only the critical temperature makes the difference!).
We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight (and still be one of the lightest carbon clinchers on the market!) combined with maximum safety and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin. What would you prefer?

If you want to ride the lightest full carbon wheel you have to choose a tubular.
If you don't want to pass on clincher type tires, go for Meilenstein C - and forget about some extra weight. Just be sure: it's extra safe!

couldn't have said it any better!!

rule 1 = ride tubs
rule 2 = see rule 1

"friends don't let friends ride clinchers"

*unless your not riding, and just sitting in the caffe with your grande latte and slice of cheesecake + Fränk Schleck aero belly....

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

williamsf1 wrote:
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Hi there,

couldn't have said it any better!!

rule 1 = ride tubs
rule 2 = see rule 1

*unless your not riding, and just sitting in the caffe with your grande latte and slice of cheesecake + Fränk Schleck aero belly....

Seriously? Can you not just say nothing, and keep your stupid comments to yourself? I am trying to hold an important conversation here. I guess thats too much to ask? Some people!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

giro di lento wrote:The weight of the Meilenstein C is exactly the same as the standard C clinchers. The bikeradar post is incorrect. I got the information directly from Carbonsports for the blog post I've put up on the wheels. Like the Standard C's the Meilenstein are 100 gms heavier than the standard tubulars not clinchers.
Hope that helps. Blog post is here for anyone interested: http://girodilento.com/the-new-lightweight-meilenstein-c-carbon-clin

Could someone clarify then.

Andreas (a few post above) just said they are adding a little weight (Mulstien clincher) then teh quote above says they are the same.

What is the correct answer?

I assume since Andreas (from carbonsprorst) said:
"We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight".... "If you don't want to pass on clincher type tires, go for Meilenstein C - and forget about some extra weight."

so...........if he was referring to being heavier,..... as in....heavier than Tubulars,

Then we all need to be more clear in what we are explaining. :smartass:

Rippin

by Rippin

williamsf1 wrote:
rule 1 = ride tubs
rule 2 = see rule 1

Clincher threads will always bring out the tubular elitists :roll:
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

Murphs

by Murphs

*idiots

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

carbon2329 wrote:
giro di lento wrote:The weight of the Meilenstein C is exactly the same as the standard C clinchers. The bikeradar post is incorrect. I got the information directly from Carbonsports for the blog post I've put up on the wheels. Like the Standard C's the Meilenstein are 100 gms heavier than the standard tubulars not clinchers.

Could someone clarify then.

Andreas (a few post above) just said they are adding a little weight (Mulstien clincher) then teh quote above says they are the same.

What is the correct answer?

I assume since Andreas (from carbonsprorst) said:
"We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight".... "If you don't want to pass on clincher type tires, go for Meilenstein C - and forget about some extra weight."

so...........if he was referring to being heavier,..... as in....heavier than Tubulars,

Then we all need to be more clear in what we are explaining. :smartass:

Yes I think Andreas was comparing the tubs to clinchers not Std Clinchers to Meilensteins.

This entire converstation and the confusion it's causing, is all Bike Radars fault for saying Std Clinchers were 100g heavier than Meilensteins, which it seems they aren't at all.

I'm going to see what can be done about chaning my order Today. I'm sure the Bike shop will be extremely impressed, not! But why they didnt tell me these were on the horizon 3 weeks ago when I placed my order, I don't know.

Although if theres a 3 month wait for Meilenstiens and my Std Clinchers are rdy next week...

Carbonsports, may I ask one question then, what is the availability of Meilensteins? How long from placing an order to receiving them? Thanks.

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

WeightySteve wrote:Carbonsports, may I ask one question then, what is the availability of Meilensteins? How long from placing an order to receiving them? Thanks.

As we work with importers in most countries this question is a little difficult to answer for me while I don't know what they have ordered so far.
We start delivery of Meilenstein C within the last week of March. So the first sets should arrive at the distributors End of March/early April...

To clearify the other questions above:
There were several improvements on the Standard C since they started. Most of them were not posted, we just improved the product. So the weight increased step by step until we reached the level we have now.
So - if you compare an actual Standard C with a new Meilenstein C, there will be almost no difference. If you compare an "old" Standard C with a new one, the will have the difference of ~100g.

Standard C will be available for some more months, even if they will have the same improved technical design (but with the "old" optical design). So WeightySteve, if you don't need the new graphics... just stay with your order. If you want the new design, talk to you dealer and try to switch.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
WeightySteve wrote:Carbonsports, may I ask one question then, what is the availability of Meilensteins? How long from placing an order to receiving them? Thanks.

As we work with importers in most countries this question is a little difficult to answer for me while I don't know what they have ordered so far.
We start delivery of Meilenstein C within the last week of March. So the first sets should arrive at the distributors End of March/early April...

To clearify the other questions above:
There were several improvements on the Standard C since they started. Most of them were not posted, we just improved the product. So the weight increased step by step until we reached the level we have now.
So - if you compare an actual Standard C with a new Meilenstein C, there will be almost no difference. If you compare an "old" Standard C with a new one, the will have the difference of ~100g.

Standard C will be available for some more months, even if they will have the same improved technical design (but with the "old" optical design). So WeightySteve, if you don't need the new graphics... just stay with your order. If you want the new design, talk to you dealer and try to switch.

Great thanks. Very useful to know, it will save Tons of hassle now!

I actually prefer the "old" optics, and also I am getting the "Black" upgrade for them too.

( now hurry up and arrive :) )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com