Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NoAlibi

by NoAlibi

Are the Meilensteins more resistant to delamination of the braking surface than the Standard III? On your website, you advertise them as:

"Even to this day, it remains THE all-round wheel – the toughest of the lot. But it also has two other valuable qualities: robustness and stability. With a multilayer design which ensures long-life durability, this wheel can even be used for cyclo-cross racing."

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

trisilver57 wrote:[...]
We weren't told about the $500 warranty, which seems ridiculous when you are paying $6k for a set of wheels.
They should at least have a one year warranty for normal use.

I think there's some misunderstanding:
- all our products have the legal 2 year liability and warranty.
- the additional (with costs: 10% of list price) "ServiceUp" is valid for 3 years.
Additional information can be found on our homepage.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Any response to the question of 'no safety margin' of Standard C's please?

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

oldtrackie wrote:
oldtrackie wrote:Carbonsports say "We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight (and still be one of the lightest carbon clinchers on the market!) combined with maximum safety and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin"
I have Standard C's. Can you clarify, please, what "without any safety margin" means exactly?

Anyone at CarbonSports prepared to clarify the position, please? What 'safety margin' do Meilenstein's have and what 'safety margin' do 'Standard C's have?

Current "Meilenstein C" and "Standard C" are - from the technical point of view - exactly the same. The first new clinchers were delivered end of 2011.
The "safety margin" means the reserve the wheel has to face e.g. tire pressure that is too high (combine this with a manometer that is not correct and the wheel heats up due to climate and braking... this can increase tire pressure measurably).
The new clinchers have even more reserves than the old ones, we're talking about ~+15%.

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

That's very helpful, thank you, but you did say "We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight...and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin" which suggests no safety margin for Standard C's. You also stated (when I bought mine a few years ago) "We employ a special temperature resistant resin enveloping our high-tensile fibres to easily meet these demands" so I should feel safe in the knowledge that if I inflate my tyres to no more than 8bar, all the demands I put on my wheels will be easily met?

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

oldtrackie wrote:That's very helpful, thank you, but you did say "We at CarbonSports think it's better to have some more weight...and some safety margin than having the lightest clincher without any safety margin" which suggests no safety margin for Standard C's. You also stated (when I bought mine a few years ago) "We employ a special temperature resistant resin enveloping our high-tensile fibres to easily meet these demands" so I should feel safe in the knowledge that if I inflate my tyres to no more than 8bar, all the demands I put on my wheels will be easily met?

Eventually I didn't formulate accurat enough: I didn't want to say that "Standard C" have NO safety margin - what I wanted to say is that we don't want to go to the absolute minimum of weight that is technically possible but then having no more reserves!
So we had some margin at "Standard C" and the margin even increased for the new clinchers ("Standard C" & "Meilenstein C"). We did't reduce the weight of the new clinchers, we increased safety. That's what I wanted to say...

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Thanks for clarifying this.

sharkman

by sharkman

Friend of mine told me about the new Mellenstein set that arrived last week at their shop.

On the positive side the wheels where the straightest LW set they received so far (both front and rear where near perfect). It probably is all in the concept of these wheels but some sets really tent to move too much sideways for a product with such a pricetag.

The biggest downside for me would bet the fact that the wheels are stickered which looks a bit cheap (but they can be easily removed).

The the tirebed indeed is different from the "old" version and doesn't show the 3k carbon anymore.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

So would you still by Lightweight Standard C Meilenstein or the Lightweight Standard tubulars if you had to choose?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

The old 'clincher vs. tubular' debate starts again? Surely not...

poppiholla

by poppiholla

No that is not my intention. I was wondering if the Meilenstein is worth the extra money over the standard C and the tubular version allthough the tubular version is, as we all know, a different concept without the heat problem.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

trisilver57

by trisilver57

not to pollute this thread any further but just to give an update. Sorry guys for the negative tone here.

We are now on 3+ months since Brother In Law sent his Standard C Clinchers to Lightweight. Last word to dealer was that replacements were coming. They are both out of true and are 6 months old. US Rep does not respond to dealer.

Carbon Sports. WHO can we direct inquiries to at Lightweight to get a response on these wheels? Both out of true and ridden on smooth Florida roads? We have reached a point of frustration and ridiculousness.

Can you give guidance please? Please have someone respond to Owner VAL of OutSpokin bikes in Clearwater, FL? Our US Rep is not responding.

Thank you Carbon Sports for any help here.

calrissian666

by calrissian666

repair@lightweight.info
mail@lightweight.info

just check contacts on their website :welcome:

sharkman

by sharkman

US Rep does not respond to dealer

Think you just mentioned the cause of the problem yourself. Lightweight Germany always answers within days and service is second to none.
Only problems I heard of so far where with owners without service up that misabused and damaged the wheels and still wanted guarantee....

And to end the tubular vs Clincher discussion. I have both and got to look to see which ones I riding at a particular moment, no heat problems so far and both proved to be perfect wheelsets (but nothing for me at a rainy day).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

poppiholla wrote:No that is not my intention. I was wondering if the Meilenstein is worth the extra money over the standard C and the tubular version allthough the tubular version is, as we all know, a different concept without the heat problem.

Once again, just to prevent confusion:
  • current "Meilenstein C" and "Standard C" only differ in the design. "Meilenstein C" have the new design (with stickers), "Standard C" have the 4 printed Lightweight-Logos. Both have the new technique inside. Clincher type tires.
  • "Meilenstein (T)" and "Standard (T)" differ in the same way. Tubular type tires.
Both "old" versions will be available up to Eurobike 2012. So it's your choice which design you want.

Btw.: we dropped the 8week-timeframe for registration! All wheels can be registered now, even if you are second owner.