Frame Bottle Cage Rivets - HELP !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Hey guys....

Right, I need your combined wisdom 8)

My frame has decided that it time for the long rides of winter the bottle cage rivets will turn in the frame (alu) and stop me tightening up the cage. I presume this isn't the end for the frame, but wondered where I can get it fixed in/near london.

Thanks

Rich
Last edited by RTW on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willy

by willy

rich...what frame, or what material is your frame?
that happened to me once, on a new c 40, on both cages, it came like that, with paint over the bosses, so when i started to screw the bolts for the cages, they gave!!! terrible
use a dremel and carefully cut the bosses, then push them inside, and remove them thru the bottom bracket opening, after taking it away. hope this helps

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

A cheap alu Turro frame. www.turro.it

It would be tragic if I had to buy a new one! ha ha ha

That is happened on new Colnagos is appalling.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

That happened to me, just use a little 2 part epoxy on it, let it dry, and it will be good as new.
Cannondale is quite simply the best

pk0r

by pk0r

There is a simple tool to re-rivet the bottle cage bosses. Every normal bike shop should carry it.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

pk0r is right. Put the Dremel down and see if they can simply be tightened. I had to do this on my TCR. The tool screws into the threaded eyelet (bottle cage boss) and then when you squeeze the plier part of it, it pulls the eyelet snug against the tube wall. Although it is absolutely the right tool for the job, it can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Make sure the person using it is experienced with it and understands what it actually does to acomplish its purpose. If they do screw it up the best case scenario will involve a dremel and removing your b.b., worst case you'll have a jagged hole in your tube. I tried the epoxy trick one or twice, but aside from adding weight :shock: it eventually came loose again.

divve

by divve

You can also use a hex head bolt with nut & washer. Screw whole assembly in about 10mm, then tighten the nut against the rivet while holding the bolt still. The rivet will compress and hopefully be secure again.

(The washer goes on after the nut to prevent scoring.)

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

twistyaction usa wrote:pk0r is right. Put the Dremel down and see if they can simply be tightened. .

It's called a riv-nut extractor. Anyone who has ever been a Cannondale dealer should have at least one of these tools. :lol: It's an easy fix.

Irish

by Irish

A riv-nut is the way to go.Try Woodies or B&Q stores they may have some in stock(cheap)or a motor factors(not so cheap).They are great for adding extra bottle cage mounts to Alu or Steel frames.Works easy like a rivet gun.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Big thanks to DANIELSON at Sigma in London for sorting this for me. What a great shop with some fabulous stock (including LWs and a Parlee).

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com