Wide rim tech? Why aren't we seeing more?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smellycrotch

by smellycrotch

Why aren't we seeing more manufacturers jumping into the wide width aero wheel craze? We see manufacturers such as FLO and ENVE new in the competition. But I don't see why we are not seeing a lot more. From Easton, Reynolds, Shimano, so on.

Do these companies consider that the actual advantage of wide width wheels is too small to be of any importance? Even so, there is a pool of people who'd love to spend money on them. Or are they simply in a developing state?

Thanks

roca rule

by roca rule

H.e.d. Does wide rims
So does zipp
Stan's road rim is wide
bontrager's newer runs are wide as well
Velocity has 1or 2 wide ruin designs there might be others which I an not aware.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bones

by bones

You are seeing more. HED has some. Velocity has some. Mavic even has some. Corima also has a wide carbon rim for track and TTs. Where have you been?

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Concur with Rocca and Bones. Also Easton rims are a tiny bit wider than most other rims out there. I know my Easton EA90SL are a smidge wider than my Ksyruim SL.

jmoote

by jmoote

Shimano is apparently working on stuff. They've had prototypes out there for a couple years with wide rims but they're kept pretty quiet.

smellycrotch

by smellycrotch

roca rule,bones // I never knew Zipp/ HED were new to the business. Just because I didn't list every single one of manufacturers who make wide rims doesn't mean that I don't know them. Apparently that never occurred to you. You think someone who knows that FLO and ENVE are new to the business doesn't know these two? Also, I don't think Velocity/stans are anywhere close to being in competition with zipp/hed/enve for aero wheels. Please don't tell me Ksyruim is the standard of which width of road wheels are judged from. I also know that some of Rolf wheels are wide but I read here somewhere that they get their rims from Zipp.

bones

by bones

smellycrotch wrote:roca rule,bones // I never knew Zipp/ HED were new to the business. Just because I didn't list every single one of manufacturers who make wide rims doesn't mean that I don't know them. Apparently that never occurred to you. You think someone who knows that FLO and ENVE are new to the business doesn't know these two? Also, I don't think Velocity/stans are anywhere close to being in competition with zipp/hed/enve for aero wheels. Please don't tell me Ksyruim is the standard of which width of road wheels are judged from. I also know that some of Rolf wheels are wide but I read here somewhere that they get their rims from Zipp.

Oh lordy lordy lord. There are a bunch of assumptions in your schpeel that you just posted. I'm not going over all the false things. Please do a search on these companies. They DO have wide rims. Especially Velocity, which has more than one. Thank you crotchman.

smellycrotch

by smellycrotch

velocity doesn't compare in the competition with zipp and Hed. Their 20mm deep 'aero rim' that's 500 grams each? Fantastic choice over Zipp. And you are welcome.
Last edited by smellycrotch on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcramer

by tcramer

When is a rim wide?

Shimano rims have been close to 21 mm for many years, which is much wider than old zipp clinchers, HED clinchers etc. that used to be close to 19 mm.

New Giant wheels are 21,5 mm and I seriosly doubt that you can feel the difference between 23 mm and 21,5 mm.
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

Richyo

by Richyo

smellycrotch wrote:velocity doesn't to the competition with zipp and Hed. Their 20mm deep 'aero rim' that's 500 grams each? Fantastic choice over Zipp. And you are welcome.

Have you thought that people might consider the Velocity rims/wheels to be used as a training wheel? but still have their tubulars for race day?

micky

by micky

smellycrotch wrote:Why aren't we seeing more manufacturers jumping into the wide width aero wheel craze? We see manufacturers such as FLO and ENVE new in the competition. But I don't see why we are not seeing a lot more. From Easton, Reynolds, Shimano, so on.

Do these companies consider that the actual advantage of wide width wheels is too small to be of any importance? Even so, there is a pool of people who'd love to spend money on them. Or are they simply in a developing state?

Thanks

Comparing Flo to manufacters like Enve or even Easton/Reynolds/etc. .. :roll:

smellycrotch

by smellycrotch

Velocity rims are for training and that's exactly why I don't think they are competing with zipp/hed. Majority don't think too deep into 'aero' when purchasing a set of training wheels or won't bother to get a custom set for training.

micky// They are worth mentioning. And I don't exactly get how I'm comparing FLO with reynolds or easton in that sentence. Thanks for your contributing comment.

roca rule

by roca rule

Somebody joined the forum with the wrong foot.
Enve
Zipp
Corima
H.e.d.
Bontrager
Stans
Velocity
Alex rims
Have wide rims.
Companies such as campagnolo, shimano, and Reynolds might not have those at the moment, but they might be in development, our maybe they have been concentrating, on tubeless, making the wheel stiffer, or lighter, etc.
there are other small companies like soulbike, or flo, but not every body knows those companies, and by no means they are real competition to any if the companies first listed.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

roca rule wrote:Somebody joined the forum with the wrong foot.
Enve
Zipp
Corima
H.e.d.
Bontrager
Stans
Velocity
Alex rims
Have wide rims.
Companies such as campagnolo, shimano, and Reynolds might not have those at the moment, but they might be in development, our maybe they have been concentrating, on tubeless, making the wheel stiffer, or lighter, etc.
there are other small companies like soulbike, or flo, but not every body knows those companies, and by no means they are real competition to any if the companies first listed.

Reynolds has the RZR 92

bones

by bones

smellycrotch has been living in a cave. Please forgive him as it's hard to get internet, TV, or really any good reading material where he is holed up. I am surprised that the cable or phone company made it out to the dump where he is at so that he could get connected.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com