HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 am 

Hey everyone, doing some hand wringing over 808s and whether they'd be stiff enough for me - 215lb Cat2

I'm not super concerned about opening the rear brake some but this thread makes it sound like i need 32 spokes or else it just isn't going to work.

Use would be for some nice weekend rides and the occasional crit

Thanks everyone

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:24 pm 

No one has any thoughts on this? Surprised :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:40 pm 

I'm of the opinion that you should look at wheels meant for clydes. That spoke count is too low.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 pm 

ergott wrote:
I'm of the opinion that you should look at wheels meant for clydes. That spoke count is too low.

yeah... zipp no longer offers the Clyde/Max any longer because they rate the 808s to 250lb rider limit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 pm 

A weight limit that says you won't break the wheels and a recommended weight limit where if you are too heavy, the wheels will not handle well are two different things. I haven't personally ridden the 808s, but there's only so much flex 20 CX-Rays can resist. My Enve 90mm rim coming in will be built up 20 spoke, but again, I weigh a lot less. It also depends on if you are a sprinter or a tri guy. If you mash it out of the saddle you want more lateral stiffness.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:34 pm 

I weigh a little bit less than you, but tend to climb all over the bike when sprinting and I really don't like Zipps, they flex too much! However, one of my riding buddies is around the same weight as me and has no problems. If you have the chance, ride them first! I know a lot of my issues are because my sprinting technique is a bit weird after spending too much time on a BMX/MTB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

ergott wrote:
A weight limit that says you won't break the wheels and a recommended weight limit where if you are too heavy, the wheels will not handle well are two different things. I haven't personally ridden the 808s, but there's only so much flex 20 CX-Rays can resist. My Enve 90mm rim coming in will be built up 20 spoke, but again, I weigh a lot less. It also depends on if you are a sprinter or a tri guy. If you mash it out of the saddle you want more lateral stiffness.

what would your recommendation be?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 am 

I'm pushing 200lbs (90kg) and had Wheelbuilder.com build up an 808 front wheel strictly for TT use. It's got only 16 spokes (DT Aerolites) built onto a DT Swiss 190 hub. I am still so skeptical that it will just not be beefy enough for me, on anything but the most straight and flat of courses. But I went with their advice that it should be ok. I'm not sure yet.

Ergott, would like to hear your thoughts on the build I just described. I have not ridden on it yet and am still so skeptical that I may just try to sell it before I even glue a tire on it and get a beefier build, at least 18, maybe 20 spokes and possibly using the flattened DT comps instead of the Aerolites.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 am 

Calnago wrote:
I'm pushing 200lbs (90kg) and had Wheelbuilder.com build up an 808 front wheel strictly for TT use. It's got only 16 spokes (DT Aerolites) built onto a DT Swiss 190 hub. I am still so skeptical that it will just not be beefy enough for me, on anything but the most straight and flat of courses. But I went with their advice that it should be ok. I'm not sure yet.

Ergott, would like to hear your thoughts on the build I just described. I have not ridden on it yet and am still so skeptical that I may just try to sell it before I even glue a tire on it and get a beefier build, at least 18, maybe 20 spokes and possibly using the flattened DT comps instead of the Aerolites.

Front wheels can get away with fewer spokes because the hub doesn't have to make room for the cassette. The flanges are evenly spaced and far enough away (with a good hub) that you should be fine. Wheelbuilder is a great company (I've spoken with Rich a couple of times). I wouldn't second guess it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 am 

karmaportrait wrote:
what would your recommendation be?

Well if you are 215 and a Cat 2 I doubt you are overweight. You probably put out some serious power.

I don't know if you can get that rim in a 24 hole drilling. If you can't you should consider a build with DT Competitions or Sapim Race spokes which are thicker. That will make the wheel stiffer. If you go the custom route, and Alchemy hub would be best. Wheelbuilder is the only company that gets Zipp rims separate for custom builds.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:53 am 

Thanks Ergott. Yes, Rich at Wheelbuilder seems great. Dealt with him several times in the past. I'll just have to try it out. 16 Aerolite spokes just seems a bit scary but it's not like I'll be in a road race or anything. Hopefully will feel nice and stable even if I am in a few tight fast turns here and there along the TT course.