VukaSprint and Di2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

It says on the Zipp website that these bars are not compatible with internal wiring of Di2 but I have seen a couple of pictures of bikes with them and Di2.

Has anybody on this board successfully run Di2 internally on the Vukasprint bars?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

they are designed around the internal wiring of di2. their rubber grommets are shaped for one brake housing and one electrical cable.
only trick is getting the plug through the outer "shift" housing hole. i did have to enlarge it ever-so-slightly with a jeweler file to help it out. then the wire has to be plugged to the INSIDE of the lever body. i just swung the wire under the bar. that takes up wire, so i am not sure if it would work with their new, wider 46cm bars.
**Edit:
just went to the zipp website. its pretty clear they dont want it to have electronic inside. that's news to me, possibly due to the wire length restrictions, or possibly due to extra pressure from SRAM. which would be crap. i know for a fact that it was originally intended for di2 compatibility.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Then why does the grommet have brake + wire connection.
I just finished installing 2 regular mech cables, it was no fun either due to how tight the opening is.

Also, why can't you cut the wire and solder it back up. I doubt the communication hardware is that sensitive to wire splices.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

youre right-the wires are not sensitive at all to cutting and splicing, although make sure you seal it welll. but i'm assuming the OP was asking about the bar's intent.

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

I was actually wondering if it fits without modification to the bar or the Di2 cable.

XLR8R

by XLR8R

The S-works Venge MClaren is equipped with Di2 and a Vukasprint.
The one I saw at my Specialized Concept Store had a full wrap of handlebar tape so no clues there.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Just wanted to mention the openings are aluminum molded in, they are pretty rough looking and you might as well file them a little anyway :)

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

poorcyclist,
are your sure? in my filings, i saw no sign of aluminum

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

thisisaest,

So you had to file the opening slightly? and ran the wire and brake housing without trouble otherwise?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Ridinghigh wrote:thisisaest,

So you had to file the opening slightly? and ran the wire and brake housing without trouble otherwise?

I thought it is, but I was using the flash light alot and could be mistaken the bits as metallic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Ridinghigh wrote:thisisaest,

yup.