Need some feedback on Speedplay Zeros

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lsiau

by lsiau

Hi guys,

I am currently considering changing from my SPD-DL pedal system to Speedplays.

However I am concerned about their durability after reading many horror stories on www.roadbikereview.com.

Also heard other complaints such as hot spots from the small platform.

I intend to also use Shimano road shoes with them, particularly the carbon soled SH-R215. These have the 'famous' curved soles, wonder whether any issues running the Speedplay cleats on these? These cleats also seem to have a lot of parts. any issues with having to tighten/readjust them frequently?

Like to hear from long time Speedplay users out there.
Last edited by lsiau on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alienator

by alienator

I'm closing in on 1.5 years on the same pair of Speedplay cleats (about 150-200 miles/wk). I've had zero durability issues. As for the smaller platform bit.....that's a bunch of kack. The pedal body is not the whole platform. The pedal body along w/ the cleat makes the Speedplay platform, which is substantially large.

FWIW, I think that hotspots are a fit issue, not necessarily a cleat/pedal issue. I think most of today's bike shoe soles are pretty damned stiff, so I be surprised if local flexures were that great or at least great enough to cause hotspots. I think if hospots were a real issue w/ Speedplays, you'd hear far more people saying they got 'em.

lsiau

by lsiau

alienator wrote:I'm closing in on 1.5 years on the same pair of Speedplay cleats (about 150-200 miles/wk). I've had zero durability issues. As for the smaller platform bit.....that's a bunch of kack. The pedal body is not the whole platform. The pedal body along w/ the cleat makes the Speedplay platform, which is substantially large.

FWIW, I think that hotspots are a fit issue, not necessarily a cleat/pedal issue. I think most of today's bike shoe soles are pretty damned stiff, so I be surprised if local flexures were that great or at least great enough to cause hotspots. I think if hospots were a real issue w/ Speedplays, you'd hear far more people saying they got 'em.

Have you needed to change the cleats as well? Are they heavy maintenance?

Yeah thast what I think as well. I mean clipless actually connects your shoe to the pedals, making it an integrated pedalling platform, at least that is what I think.

KingstonWheeler

by KingstonWheeler

I use Speedplay Zeros, with the Ti axel version on my race bike. No problems at all. In a way, there's nothing to say about them since I don't notice them. It's just a question of clicking in, easy since they're double sided and then riding. As for a curved shoe sole, the cleats come with shims for Sidi shoes, these should help.

The cleats, being made from Alu do wear a bit if you're going to walk a lot in the shoes so I wouldn't use them for touring, if I did I'd get some of those covers for them.

In other words, they're great.

divve

by divve

Speedplay Zeros are an excellent pedal system. The only horror stories come from people who don't follow the instructions or simply have bad luck.

For day to day use you basically only have to lube the cleats and pedal butterflies with a dry Teflon lube once a week or after a wet ride. You don't have to apply much.

The bearings are best lubed using a grease injection gun with blue marine grease or basically anything else that's thick and suitable for roller bearings. Do this whenever the pedals begin to rotate smoother than they normally do. I'd say every 3000 miles or so.

Mount the 3 big screws of the cleat base plate with Loctite and use a T-handle Philips driver to put in a little extra torque.

For the remainder, check the Speedplay site for maintenance and compatibility information with your shoes.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I have to agree, the 0's are a very nice system. Much better than the X series.

As for hotspots, this can be shoe fit, cleat misplacement or a shoe with too soft of a sole. A 215 with it's very stiff carbon sole should be plenty stiff to prevent hotspots.

Boonen

by Boonen

Most horror stories you heard are from the cheapest models. They use bushings in stead of bearings which is fine if you don't ride much, but if you ride a lot you will wear out the spindles in one or two years (or even less).

I think you'r zero's will outlast your spd-sl pedals easily! (did you know that shimano recommends to change the little black cover in the pedals every time you have ridden them in the wet :? )

OCLV

by OCLV

Changed this year from SPD-SL (Dura Ace) to Speedplay Zero. On the training bike I have the all black steel version an on the lite bike the Ti Version.

The thing with the hotspots is that the cleats are then too much mounted backwards so that the middle of the foot is more over the pedal. If you adjust it is (near to) perfection you won't have any problems. I firstly also made the mistake to mount the cleats too much backwards with the result of hotspots. But when correctly mounted it is super! Perfect platform, fluent pedal stroke circle, low stack hight and so on. It take 2 weeks (6 rides) for me to find out this optimum position.

The only thing you have to care about is to put some loctite on the cleat bolts (otherwise the will loosen!) and to lube the feather frequently. And have the low tightening torque of the 4 black screws in mind mind when mounting them. If they are too tight you just come in the pedal with more effort. If you care about this you won't have any probs! Just ask if you've any further question. It is really a super (IMO the best) pedal system when mounted and cared about properly

Thomas
Born to be light!

alienator

by alienator

lsiau wrote:Have you needed to change the cleats as well? Are they heavy maintenance?

Yeah thast what I think as well. I mean clipless actually connects your shoe to the pedals, making it an integrated pedalling platform, at least that is what I think.

I dry lube the cleats every 400 or 500 miles, when I remember. After the first 3000 miles, I greased the pedals. I do always have the cafe covers for the cleats w/ me, but that's mostly cuz I use 'em when I carry me bike up and down the stairs to my apt.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

I've had the X5's for about a year now, and they've worked flawlessly so far. As previously mentioned, always carry the cleat covers with you and your cleats will stay nice and neat. I find the platform to be more than enough for road biking applications, not to mention the fact that they're some of the lightest pedals around. The two sided entry is also nice, as well as the float. My knees love it.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Actually they are not the lightest pedals around if you compare the weight of the whole system (cleats, hardware, and pedals).
Cannondale is quite simply the best

996vtwin

by 996vtwin

Acyually I just installed mines today on my Track bike (test bike). It is the Zero system. I just switched from Time RXS and some pros and cons from both of them.

FIrst of the Time is the closest ive come to a perfect pedal system, easy adjustments, marker on float adjuster and only two simple q-factor adjusment(good for people who like to tinker like me). The only donwfall with the Time is the cleat tries to centre itself, so if your float adjusment isnt spot on you could get some hip/knee pain.

With the Zero system I only used it for couple miles today the initial set up is a bit tedious with all the screws, adapter plate etc but nothing a toodler couldnt handle. If you dont have loctite and the special grease gun I could see problems happening making this system more technical and more high maintenance that I would like.

My second beef is that clicking in seems a bit more difficult but I am sure this would change after a few rides and I got accostomed. The poitives are the float is completetely 'free' with NO tensioner acting against the knees.

To summarize I would say that comparing the Time to the RXS for example, the Time is an excellent pedal but if not for the tensioner. The Zero's main disadvantage is the high maintenance and tricky set up. Both systems seem very good so with this info you could decide for yourself.

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

I use my Zero's with the Shimano SH-R151 shoes and had no problems mounting the cleats, I didn't have to use the extra shims provided either.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

lsiau

by lsiau

996vtwin wrote: My second beef is that clicking in seems a bit more difficult but I am sure this would change after a few rides and I got accostomed. The poitives are the float is completetely 'free' with NO tensioner acting against the knees.

To summarize I would say that comparing the Time to the RXS for example, the Time is an excellent pedal but if not for the tensioner. The Zero's main disadvantage is the high maintenance and tricky set up. Both systems seem very good so with this info you could decide for yourself.

Hey thanks alot! Yes, it is the non self centering float that attracts me to the Speedplay. I have adjusted my SPD SL cleats and pedal to near perfection and I require Lewedges in order to be totally comfortable using them, looks like I will need to get the Lewedges for Speedplay as well if I move over to this system.

Also from your experience, if lets say you normally need to tilt the cleats inwards toward the crank arm in order to have a toe out position is this necessary with the 15 degree float of the Speedplay? (I always have this idea is like 7.5 degrees each, inwards and outwards).

Another thing that worries me is the availability of Speedplay parts here in Singapore. AFAIK only a couple of shops here carry them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lsiau

by lsiau

alienator wrote:
lsiau wrote:Have you needed to change the cleats as well? Are they heavy maintenance?

I dry lube the cleats every 400 or 500 miles, when I remember. After the first 3000 miles, I greased the pedals. I do always have the cafe covers for the cleats w/ me, but that's mostly cuz I use 'em when I carry me bike up and down the stairs to my apt.

Do the cleats come with the cleat covers or are they a separate accessory?