plug for carbon steer tube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hillreaper

by hillreaper

I installed a fork on my bike with a carbon steer tube and am trying to avoid using a compression plug.
To set the pre-load, I am using a micro adjustable headset spacer from Problem Solvers:
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/micro_adjustable_headset_spacer

It works well, but the problem is that my steer tube is left open for rain and debris and sweet to fall into. Anybody know of a good 1 1/8 inch plug that is safe on carbon, removable (in case I want to change the step) and looking cool is a plus. Of course lighter is better too...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kregg

by kregg

A well placed and trimmed piece of packing tape. Can't get much lighter than that.
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

SL58

by SL58

Home Depo or Shmolke, I have extra one.

hillreaper

by hillreaper

Awesome! The carbon plug is way cool! I may just do that. But in the mean time while I'm waiting for it to ship, what exactly can I get at home depot? What would I go in asking for?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

sorry to get in here but how do you like this problem solvers headset adjuster? Is it really more beneficial over the regular expansion plug?
I would have just glued the regular piece of top cap on the steerer with a small dab of silicone or elmers glue.

dj97223

by dj97223

What "problem" does the "problem solver" solve? It can't be much lighter than, say, the Extralite Ultrastar plug plus a top cap. And, as others have said, one can remove the top cap after tightening the stem (personally, I take the minor weight penalty and leave in my custom top cap).
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That PS thing looks identical in function to Time's Micro heaset adjuster (not sure about that name).
Still, how much does it weigh?

Also, I see a small set screw on the bottom part of the system.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

I looked around for this thread I saw about a year ago on here, somebody used a 99 cent plastic furniture plug/cap available at any hardware store/home depot to fill the steerer tube hole. Was a perfect pressure fit, came in different colors, light, worked out very well if not running an expander is what you choose to do.

I couldn't find any pictures. They're kind of like these minus the logo. Real basic.

ms6073

by ms6073

have not tried it and not sure if this would be lighter, but Acros has headsets that appear to integrate the similar tech as the PS bits and includes a nice topper for the steerer tube in the Ai headset line.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have an extra Tune carbon cover if you want it.....I ran it without an expander plug for a while, but stem can shimmy up on rough surfaces. I had to continually re-adjust the preload. I just ordered the Tune gum-gum and a Soul-Kozak cover to use instead....pretty damn light and the piece of mind that there is some expander in there.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@ms6073:

The system can be bought seperately:

http://www.acros.de/PRODUCTS/HEADSET/THE-CLAMP:::3_91_144.html

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Dave67

by Dave67

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hillreaper

by hillreaper

I ended up getting a cheap plug. it worked really well!