50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTBike

by VTBike

Just wondering for those of you who are buying/have ridden these, what do you weigh? They seem like a really appealing option over a set of Enve's, but at 200 lbs, I want to be sure these can actually stand up to heavy riders.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I was told the 50mm rim weight limit is 120kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

absmith

by absmith

My experience has been so bad about these rims from Farsports, maybe you guys have good experiences now, but then you will find "something interesting" after long ride. The first time i bought and built the superlight rims from Farsports, my target drive side tension was 120 kgf, I follow my standard procedure of stress relieving by squeezing parallel spokes with my hands. That's when I heard the rim creak. Not until the wheel was done did I see a crack at the nipple hole and several other bulging.
Attachments
P1010503.JPG

pRoto

by pRoto

Good day,

I am thinking to buy some pair of these.

50 mm clinchers, hubsmith hubs with ceramic bearings, thinking matt 3k or matt ud, what you people think, ud or 3k?

And then you bought wheels, what was the tension of spokes, it was good? I mean, do you need to do anything then they arive?

vince15

by vince15

I am the unlucky guy as well, but it's not for spoke tension, it's for brake tracks(chipping after hard brakes). And here i have to talk about the price when i work with Justin recently, i guess he is a shareholder in farsports or other companies before, and now he has his own company named focus-carbon, so i think both of their rims are the same, but Justin quoted me less than US$400 for both tubular and clincher wheels, the only difference is that justin build the wheels with powerway hubs and pillar spokes, it's a little heavier than hubsmith, maybe 50g, but i don't think 50g is worth at least US$200, that's why more and more chinese guys are rich now, lol...

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Their site could be a little more clear on wether the rims are clincher or tubular-type and prices. :?

The weights still look nice though. I'd go UD and maybe have some stickers made.
Ride it like you stole it

andyindo

by andyindo

absmith wrote:My experience has been so bad about these rims from Farsports, maybe you guys have good experiences now, but then you will find "something interesting" after long ride. The first time i bought and built the superlight rims from Farsports, my target drive side tension was 120 kgf, I follow my standard procedure of stress relieving by squeezing parallel spokes with my hands. That's when I heard the rim creak. Not until the wheel was done did I see a crack at the nipple hole and several other bulging.

Which model rims were these? I was told by farsports that there CP model was discontinued to it not being 'stable'

absmith

by absmith

andyindo wrote:
absmith wrote:My experience has been so bad about these rims from Farsports, maybe you guys have good experiences now, but then you will find "something interesting" after long ride. The first time i bought and built the superlight rims from Farsports, my target drive side tension was 120 kgf, I follow my standard procedure of stress relieving by squeezing parallel spokes with my hands. That's when I heard the rim creak. Not until the wheel was done did I see a crack at the nipple hole and several other bulging.

Which model rims were these? I was told by farsports that there CP model was discontinued to it not being 'stable'

superlight rims, both tubulars and clinchers. I prefer the stiffer rims, not lighter and weak rims.

eric

by eric

Absmith- did you use nipple washers in that wheel?

cep111

by cep111

I just talked to Justin at Focus Carbon, He said the 60's in clincher would be $400 for the wheelset with Pillar spokes plus hubs and skewers. They are not assembled however but this could be a good thing, take them to your LBS for assembly.

absmith

by absmith

eric wrote:Absmith- did you use nipple washers in that wheel?

yes I did use the included washers.

vince15

by vince15

just talked to justin last night, actually he can build the complete wheels, also can offer the prebuilt wheels, then you can assemble them by yourself.

pRoto

by pRoto

the guy from farsports contacted me today, said they will have 88mm and 38mm clincher light wheels. Interesting.

vince15

by vince15

pRoto wrote:the guy from farsports contacted me today, said they will have 88mm and 38mm clincher light wheels. Interesting.

pRoto, what's the price?

pRoto

by pRoto

609$ and 664$ hubsmith(ceramic bearing), sapim cx-ray. But im thinking still about 50mm's. 1300g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com