50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadytracky

by roadytracky

kook43 wrote:Thanks @eric. It might be sacrilege, but I found Boyd's pad set to be even cheaper ($15 for 4). I do respect the US builders as a business and my LBS, and who knows, if these farsports fail, Boyd was next on my list anyway.

Thanks @roadytracky I do love the look now, more grounded, thick, burly and weighty. These wheels match the stiffness of the frame, both rock solid. Get to riding man! You won't be disappointed :P How do you like your 88's?

Just got home from the track. Rode the Hell out of the 88's. I am so happy with these wheels. If these wheels are this good on the track I imagine I'm going to love my 50's on the road. The 50mm clinchers are going on a new bike. I'm too busy with the Holidays so the build will have to wait a couple weeks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ancker

by ancker

prendrefeu wrote:Overall (apologies for a couch partially blocking the rear wheel) :

What frame is that? Looks nice.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

ancker wrote:What frame is that? Looks nice.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108235 :wink:

r300

by r300

I am thinking about ordering a pair of these wheels. I have read through the forum to try to find some information regarding hub quality but to no avail. I have also e-mailed the suppliers regarding the hub options and their reliability but didn't really get a clear response.
The novatec hubs seem to have a pretty good reputation and are used by UK builders such as Wheelsmith, but I am obviously tempted by the lightweight EDhubs. Does anyone have an opinion about the two types of hub and how they match up against each other in terms of quality of build and reliability?

Roger9

by Roger9

I've gor ED hubs. Nice and light and bulletproof after 6 months and 8000 km of hard work. At this price what have you got to loose???

r300

by r300

Roger9 wrote:I've gor ED hubs. Nice and light and bulletproof after 6 months and 8000 km of hard work. At this price what have you got to loose???

Thanks Roger.

Frans

by Frans

Can anyone direct me to rims which are wider like a Hed C2 or what everone else is doing.

Farsports was supposed to launch a FSJ50 - 23 (with the 23 being the width) but I've not been able to find a schematic.

Doesn't have to be Farsports, mind, just a nice fat rim for y 83kgs that I can do some CXs on with 24/28 or 28/28 set up.

cheers

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Frans, read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103936
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Frans

by Frans

Dank u veel

kook43

by kook43

Ok follow-up, 2yr 8300+mi review. I have definitely gotten my money's worth on these wheels. 2012 FSC50-CM's V shape w/Bitex hubs. I raced about 20 Crits on them this year, and won my fair share.
I run red VeloPlugs (bikehubstore.com) and did replace the hub body (SL210 from bikehubstore.com as well) in Feb. of this year as I road in the crap/rain/grit of winter. They've got a few scratches here and there and only a tiny wobble on the rear after all I've put them through.

I was lucky enough to have only crashed once on them, but have hit potholes haarrrd and flatted many times with 23/25mm Conti 4000s and sII tires. They are still stiff as heck. I'm also impressed with the new FSC Ceramic pads (picked up 4 pairs recently), as wear (2018mi so far) is greatly improved from the original blue's from 2012.

I see guys on Vision, Enve, Zipp, HED, Mavic/Cosmic in my races and wonder why (really). Crashes occur in the crits I race all the damn time and 1500-$2k is not a bill I want to see, for just wheels. So, I'm happy and I'm grabbing a new set of FSC50-CM-23-ED U's to race on this coming season, and will use these current 2012 models as my spare and training wheels for winter.

Good stuff FarSports, thanks

Kook-

pizzayum

by pizzayum

Has anyone had experience with the fsl40cm-23sl rims? They are 35 grams lighter each, and not much more expensive. I'm curious if reliability lost in weight savings.

sweetjohnny

by sweetjohnny

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set of 50mm clinchers. Does anyone have any experience with far sports's new U shape that has the 4 degree brake track?