50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cep111

by cep111

I see you have just enough valve stem sticking out to get air in. Are you using 60mm tubes or an adapter?

Let us know how they ride.

eric

by eric

cep111 wrote:I see you have just enough valve stem sticking out to get air in. Are you using 60mm tubes or an adapter?

60mm michelin tubes.
cep111 wrote:Let us know how they ride.

Laterally stiff and vertically compliant. They added 1 mph average speed on my regular loop.

OK, I'm kidding. But other than being reasonably laterally stiff (which is partly due to hub geometry and front lacing) the ride quality is just like any other wheel. Maybe a little rougher than lower profile rims, but the difference is small if it's there at all. I know some people claim to feel significant differences in ride quality between clincher wheels but if they're fully tensioned they all feel pretty much the same to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cep111

by cep111

My 50mm clincher rims are in from Light-Bicycle.com. Took a couple of weeks to make and 1 week to ship. I couldn't get a super accurate weight but they look like they are 450-460 each as advertised (They do offer a 410 gram rim for a $15 each upgrade). I will re weigh when I get them delivered to my LBS for the build. They feel ultra stiff when trying to twist them in my hands compared to a normal box type clincher rim. Should build right to 1390 grams if calculations are right. Rim width is 20.83 on both rims, much wider than the American Classic 420's I have been riding. ERD was 546 and the brake track goes out to the edge of the rim.

For the record the Velocity Velo plugs in red fit mega tight, just perfect and I mean perfect they have to be pried out.

eric

by eric

I did a pretty steep descent on my 50mm chinese rims today. Steep and technical, and you have to stop at the bottom and ride back up 'cause its a dead end unless your name is Neil Young. A lot of braking is required on this road.

At the bottom I stopped and felt the front rim temp. It wasn't very warm at the brake track and was cool elsewhere. Braking was the same all the way down and nothing exploded.

This isn't the worst descent I do because it's not that long, but it was a good first test.

absmith

by absmith

eric wrote:I did a pretty steep descent on my 50mm chinese rims today. Steep and technical, and you have to stop at the bottom and ride back up 'cause its a dead end unless your name is Neil Young. A lot of braking is required on this road.

At the bottom I stopped and felt the front rim temp. It wasn't very warm at the brake track and was cool elsewhere. Braking was the same all the way down and nothing exploded.

This isn't the worst descent I do because it's not that long, but it was a good first test.

Eric, how long was your first ride test? will appreciate if you have any photos on brake tracks? I had some chinese rims which have pulse & bubbles on brake surface under braking, hope to look at yours.

cep111

by cep111

Light-Bicycle.com 50mm rims are built up! These were the heavier version at 455 grams each (as opposed to the 410G). Extremly stiff my LBS tells me and I can confirm that. While mounted in the bike the left to right play is roughly 1/3 of the other wheels I have. Build weight is 1390 grams with the Token TK520 carbon hub, DT Aerolites and Red allow nipples. I will be on my normal twice a week group ride tonight so report later on how they do.
Last edited by cep111 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

loco2546

by loco2546

Are these the BOYD wheels ...??? if so ... are they good, stiff enough ..?
all coments will be apreciated . Nice bike by the way . :thumbup:

eric

by eric

absmith wrote:
Eric, how long was your first ride test? will appreciate if you have any photos on brake tracks? I had some chinese rims which have pulse & bubbles on brake surface under braking, hope to look at yours.

The ride was about 50 miles. The descent test was maybe 3 or so. I also used them this last weekend at the Sea Otter road race. That has a neutralized descent down Barloy Canyon. Our moto had us going pretty slow and I had to ride the brakes. I didn't get to stop and check the rim temp at the bottom but the braking did not change so they didn't get too hot.

Here's a pic below. They're not perfect. The rear has a bit of pulsing, the front had a little when new but it seems to have gone away. I did measure the front's brake track width and if I recall the variation was on the order of .1mm.

Loco2546- these are not Boyd wheels. They are FarSports, direct from China. See http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 41788.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://ericm.lne.com/images/farsports_c ... etrack.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fordred

by fordred

The braking surface don't look very reassuring. Is it meant to be like that?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

cep111 wrote:Light-Bicycle.com 50mm rims are built up! These were the heavier version at 455 grams each (as opposed to the 410G). Extremly stiff my LBS tells me and I can confirm that. While mounted in the bike the left to right play is roughly 1/3 of the other wheels I have. Build weight is 1390 grams with the Token TK520 carbon hub, DT Aerolites and Red allow nibbles. I will be on my normal twice a week group ride tonight so report later on how they do.

Sounds good. Looking forward to see some pics of the wheels. upclose shots if you can to see how the rims look.

██

cep111

by cep111

I did 32 miles tonight with my usual group using the new wheels. They braked fantastic!! I installed new Swiss Stop Yellow pads. No issues at all and no loss noticed in braking power with the Dura Ace brake calipers.

They felt faster, or at least easier to accelerate and hold speed. Average was better too but that is subjective with so many variables of group riding. Here is what I know for sure.....on 2 longer down hills I was out coasting my usual buds going down. That is something new as I usually don't out roll anyone. I have 3 differences from my normal wheels, Deeper rim, 3mm wider rim and ceramic bearings

Biggest thing I can comment on is how strong and stiff they are. I think they would work well for a much larger rider, no issues.

eric

by eric

fordred wrote:The braking surface don't look very reassuring. Is it meant to be like that?

I got two clincher rims and two tubular wheels from FarSports. That's probably the worst looking section. The tubulars don't have any pits at all. The braking doesn't seem to be affected, and the pits are in the presumeably non structural basalt brake track.

They're not perfect, but they're about 1/4 the price of Enve rims, and lighter too.

Cep111, try the blue pads that came with the rims (or Reynolds blue pads if yours did not come with pads- I think they are the same thing). I've found that they stop better than SwissStops.

cep111

by cep111

Image,

vince15

by vince15

As my past experience with chinese rims, "the wheels were built up well and looked well" can not prove anything, will appreciate any reports after 120 miles.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So far on my Farsport 50mm clinchers I've got in a couple circuit races and a couple brief rides (30 miler and a 10 just to feel the wheels). I honestly can't say much about their performance thus far, this is my first experience with carbon wheels or wheels with any sort of depth. The final build weight was 1414 with tape, I can't say I've really noticed the 106 grams I lost from the ROL D'Huez. I can't say that I've noticed easier spin up or that they maintain speed faster... but I expect to be able to comment more on the latter after some longer training rides.
I was a little nervous about having my sprint on the wheels be in a race... but after 2 races this week they've given me no reason to be wary.

I'll post another update when I log more road miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com