50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

That day, we climbed almost 5000ft with two steep descents (46mph on my computer). Both clinchers were squeely and noisy on applying full brakes. But, we all made it back to the parking lot safe.

It's not the amount of climbing or the speed on the descent, it's the amount of braking. I've done a 2 day race with 29,035 feet of climbing and many 50+ mph descents that is totally safe on any carbon clincher- the descents don't require much braking. OTOH I had a tire blow off an older Reynolds carbon clincher while doing a short ride near my house. That road is steep and has a lot of tight corners. Even knowing it well there's a lot of braking involved.

When I get my basalt brake tracked clinchers built I will try them on some easier roads before I do that descent near my house.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vince15

by vince15

asianarnold1 wrote:
Juice15 wrote:Becareful with these!!!

by "these" do you mean the ones pictured above with the 3k brake tracks(FSC50-CP)? Those are now discontinued by FarSports. When i emailed them for a quote, they said that set(fsc50-cp) is discontinued and recommended me the FSC50-CM instead, with the basalt braking surface.

When there were some quality problem on FSC50-CP, then they recommend FSC-50-CM, When there were some quality problem on FSC50-CM, then they recommend FSC-50-CP, that's funny, I have emailed the guys about this, no answer as far, will get back once getting the response.

vince15

by vince15

asianarnold1 wrote:
Juice15 wrote:Becareful with these!!!

by "these" do you mean the ones pictured above with the 3k brake tracks(FSC50-CP)? Those are now discontinued by FarSports. When i emailed them for a quote, they said that set(fsc50-cp) is discontinued and recommended me the FSC50-CM instead, with the basalt braking surface.

When there were some quality problem on FSC50-CP, then they recommend FSC-50-CM, When there were some quality problem on FSC50-CM, then they recommend FSC-50-CP, that's funny, I have emailed the guys about this, no answer as far, will get back once getting the response.

yongkun

by yongkun

are those pillar spokes any good?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My 50mm Gigantex have a raised brake track about 3 or so mm below the clincher part of the rim.....probably their solution to the heat issue. I will get a photo tonight and post it.......

problem = solved

eric

by eric

Are you guys building wheels on these rims using nipple washers? If so, which ones? I have Pillar and Sapim.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yesterday was 10 days from the time of my order with Farsports so I emailed Johnson and asked if he had tracking info.

He then informed me they hadn't shipped yet and are still in production. Super duper neat-o. I had planned on these things being here this week (based on the shipping estimate he gave me) and using them in a race next week. Guess that's out. He said if I want a gloss finish (which I told him on 3 occasions I didn't want) that he could ship them out today.
I'll update when I hear back from him again. I may be scrapping my Chinese wheel idea and picking up some Enve 45s locally.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am glad that I saved my money and will buy the Token Hubs and just rebuild my Sprint 350's with new hubs and spokes.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

cep111

by cep111

BmanX wrote:I am glad that I saved my money and will buy the Token Hubs and just rebuild my Sprint 350's with new hubs and spokes.

Did you have Sprint 350's in 20/24 hole?

BmanX

by BmanX

I assumed they did different hole patterns but on their site they only do 20/24h so that is out so maybe something light but with a 28/32h. Circus Monkey has a light pair but then there are the big players.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

cep111

by cep111

BmanX wrote:I assumed they did different hole patterns but on their site they only do 20/24h so that is out so maybe something light but with a 28/32h. Circus Monkey has a light pair but then there are the big players.

They do offer this hub in different drillings in their own prebuilt wheel lines. I inquired about buying these in different drillings as well and they said only 20/24 wereavailable.

Any shipments on the Carbon 50mm/38mm clinchers come in? I'm curious to hear about the results and impressions!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Quick update: on Tuesday (27th), 11 days after I paid for my order, I was given a shipping date of the 30th (which would be tomorrow, Friday). Last night I sent an e-mail asking if I could change something with the order (not something that would affect cost) so that I could expedite things when they arrive. To my delight and slight confusion I was told the wheels had already shipped and he provided me a tracking number.

cep111

by cep111

Here is a link for 50mm wheel stickers. I'm ordering a set of Kestrel and a set for Cannondale. $45 plus shipping. Everything comes from South America, I know there are 2 vendors and will try to provide a link for both.
Now if I can just get the rims shipped! Been 2 weeks from Light-Bicycle

Here is the Kestrel wheel decals.

http://www.bikesdecals.com/kestrel-whee ... ?cPath=112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Cannondale%20wheels%20decals.jpg
Kestrel%20wheels%20decals%20set.jpg

RMcC

by RMcC

I have tried to get in contact with Farsports through several of the email addresses previously given in this thread but havent heard back yet.

Does anyone have one they were using recently?

I fancy some of the lightweight 38mm wheels but would prefer clincher to tubular so im going to see if they have them yet or when they will be getting them.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

"Apple" at sales4@farsports.cn worked for me.

I built up my 50mm clinchers. 1320g, using White Ind. H1 hubs (300g/pair) and CXrays. I laced them 1x heads in on the front, and 2x on the rear. 120kgf DS, 90kgf on the front, about 60kgf on the NDS. I used nipple washers on the DS. They ride well- nice and stiff. Braking, using Reynolds blue pads, is better than on my 4 year old Reynolds DV46C rims but not quite as good as aluminium- it takes more lever force to brake hard. They're kind of noisy.

The build was not as easy as it has been on aluminium rims (these are the first carbon wheels I've built). There's a few nipples that are noticeably harder to turn than the other spokes at the same tension. And one nipple on the rear comes out of the rim at the wrong angle when there's tension on the spoke.