Trek Emonda SLR 2018 Rim Brake Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Lelandjt wrote:Nicely executed. My only gripe is Shimano should clean up the climbing shifter. It's so big and awkward looking and using zip ties to attach it....
With all the little tweeks they did to Di2 in the recent Dura-ace/Ultegra update I can't believe they didn't improve the climbing shifter.

Yeah bit of a bummer, they actually only specify a newer generation of “blips” for R8000/9150, but I got the older generation climbing shifter, to see if it worked, plugged it in and it worked, so I went with it. I kinda like having the two buttons beside each other, as well. I’m glad it’s well made, I actually use it a lot!
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Calnago wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Calnago wrote:Isn't that seatmast coming dangerously close to the end of the frame tube? Just how much overalap is underneath?

There’s about 40-50mm of seatpost overlap before the limits are met, it’s only just past the halfway line. I was actually thinking the same thing, going to the longer seat mast. This one was the carry over from the Domane, and the Emonda has even more top tube drop that it had, hence the stupid-tall looking seat tube. I wonder if it will affect the bump compliance?

Ok, you’ve talked me into it :thumbup: might go back to a 5mm offset too.

Ok, my mistake then. As long as it’s covering the minimum insertion line you’re good. From the pic it looked to me like it might not have been.
Great bike.

All good, a valid point to raise. :beerchug:
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.

Great post and very helpful as I ponder the the Emonda vs Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.

From what I understand the CF SLX is a very similar riding bike. You have a tough choice there.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SMITHERS wrote:ClydesdaleChris,

Thanks for posting your build. Enjoy it!

Thank you for your service!

Thankyou sir, for your appreciation. :thumbup:
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

springs wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.

Great post and very helpful as I ponder the the Emonda vs Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.

The lightest production frame on the market for US$2999? Easy decision IMO.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

springs

by springs

TobinHatesYou wrote:
springs wrote:

The lightest production frame on the market for US$2999? East decision IMO.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the Canyon frame once it's released in the USA where I reside.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
springs wrote:

The lightest production frame on the market for US$2999? East decision IMO.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the Canyon frame once it's released in the USA where I reside.

Not to mention Trek's ridiculously-good warranty. I can attest to their fantastic attitude. some dealers seem to want to confuse the process, however. Trek themselves seem to not want to create a fuss. but that's a whole new thread and I'd rather not sully this thread with "no they're not, I tried to claim a road frame I used racing motorcross and had 100,000km on it" or something conversations.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ClydesdaleChris wrote:I have come from a Domane 2014 6 Series Project One (600/700 Carbon mix) , and to be honest, the biggest factor is cadence.

If you like to spin, at >90rpm, you need to look away from the Domane. You will bob, unless you set the seat slider to the hardest setting. So then the Emonda has the same amount of seat tube flex as the current SLR Domane in that setting. I have found I can drive the flats and climb far better on this than I ever could on the Domane. While the comfort of the Domane was superb, the 31mm wide GP4K “28’s” have made this bike a far better proposition. That is, unless you want the front isozone (I never had this on mine). If you want ultimate comfort, get the Domane. If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.

I didn't notice any bob in the Domane SLR during my test rides. Maybe I'm not heavy enough? I'm 185 lbs, btw. What I did notice on test rides switching between the Domane SLR and Emonda SL is that the Emonda has a noticeably stiffer bottom bracket. The power transfer to the rear wheel was delightfully "snappy" and direct. But the bottom bracket of the Domane SLR is still stiffer than the old USPS 5500 that i'm upgrading from. I view the Emonda as the direct descendant of that bike (same race geometry), only Trek has upgraded everything in a big way. It's significantly stiffer and lighter at the same time, with that fantastic power transfer. The seat mast even has some noticeable compliance that makes for a more comfortable ride, whereas mine is spine-jarringly solid. And the room for wider tires is icing on the cake. Trek just nailed it.

I'm still up in the air about the direction I want to take. The idea of an endurance bike like the Domane SLR does have it's appeal for me, but the draw of that pure-lightweight-race-bike that is the Emonda is strong. It's a good thing the Madone isn't offered in a disc version yet, or I'd have a real "tri-lemma" on my hands. LOL!

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:I have come from a Domane 2014 6 Series Project One (600/700 Carbon mix) , and to be honest, the biggest factor is cadence.

If you like to spin, at >90rpm, you need to look away from the Domane. You will bob, unless you set the seat slider to the hardest setting. So then the Emonda has the same amount of seat tube flex as the current SLR Domane in that setting. I have found I can drive the flats and climb far better on this than I ever could on the Domane. While the comfort of the Domane was superb, the 31mm wide GP4K “28’s” have made this bike a far better proposition. That is, unless you want the front isozone (I never had this on mine). If you want ultimate comfort, get the Domane. If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.

I didn't notice any bob in the Domane SLR during my test rides. Maybe I'm not heavy enough? I'm 185 lbs, btw. What I did notice on test rides switching between the Domane SLR and Emonda SL is that the Emonda has a noticeably stiffer bottom bracket. The power transfer to the rear wheel was delightfully "snappy" and direct. But the bottom bracket of the Domane SLR is still stiffer than the old USPS 5500 that i'm upgrading from. I view the Emonda as the direct descendant of that bike (same race geometry), only Trek has upgraded everything in a big way. It's significantly stiffer and lighter at the same time, with that fantastic power transfer. The seat mast even has some noticeable compliance that makes for a more comfortable ride, whereas mine is spine-jarringly solid. And the room for wider tires is icing on the cake. Trek just nailed it.

I'm still up in the air about the direction I want to take. The idea of an endurance bike like the Domane SLR does have it's appeal for me, but the draw of that pure-lightweight-race-bike that is the Emonda is strong. It's a good thing the Madone isn't offered in a disc version yet, or I'd have a real "tri-lemma" on my hands. LOL!

Someone once told me "you can cruise on a race bike. You can't race on a cruising bike"

But saying that I have had some of my most memorable wins on the Domane. It may be reborn as a cruiser. maybe. But i never seem to cruise when I'm riding!
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:

Someone once told me "you can cruise on a race bike. You can't race on a cruising bike"

But saying that I have had some of my most memorable wins on the Domane. It may be reborn as a cruiser. maybe. But i never seem to cruise when I'm riding!

I like your intensity! That Emonda is perfection. Enjoy!

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Findings so far:

Using the 17c rim, I tried a set of GP40000Sii “28mm”, they measure a mahoosive 31mm wide and 29mm tall*. They rub on the inside of the front caliper, when you stand up and pedal. Rear is ok. I will be trying some more reasonably sized 28’s to hit a sweet spot. It’s a shame, as they are stupidly fast tyres and roll so smoothly. I may even try a set of “25mm” GP4K’s, which I know measure 27.8mm on 17c rims, but some may see from my other threads I’ve had a hit and miss relationship with 25’s, their mold seems to be not as accurate.

The drop of the top tube is such that you need to choose seat tube drink bottle size carefully. A potential issue here in sunny Australia.

The gloss black is equal to the gloss white on the other bike for showing dirt and crap (first world problem!)

It’s been called carbon-doping. It’s a very, very fast frame.

(*someone once tried to tell me that the ‘flat’ measurement of a folded tyre will determine how high it is, that’s not the case because the outer casing does).
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

springs

by springs

That is a shame since being able to run Conti 4k 28 is a requirement for my next bike. Would you be able to post a photo of the tight spot?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ClydesdaleChris wrote:The drop of the top tube is such that you need to choose seat tube drink bottle size carefully. A potential issue here in sunny Australia.

What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:The drop of the top tube is such that you need to choose seat tube drink bottle size carefully. A potential issue here in sunny Australia.

What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.

Yup, bit bummed, I can get a 750 in but you need to be careful.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:That is a shame since being able to run Conti 4k 28 is a requirement for my next bike. Would you be able to post a photo of the tight spot?

Back is a lot better than the front, and it only just grazes. With the wheels and my weight, the front rim flex is juuuuust enough to touch the tyres. You may have a different experience. And let’s not forget the 28GP4K is a massive tyre. I’ll try normal 28’s and I know it’ll be fine.

BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com