Visiting San Francisco

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

I will be in San Francisco Nov 24 - 29. I plan on renting a road bike from Pacific Cycles & would like to hook up with a road ride in the area if possible. Jmilliron (cheers mate) has already pointed out some possibilities but I was looking for some more input. Can I get over to Berkeley easily? Is the Alpine Dam loop an option. I'm staying really close to Pacific Cycles. TIA!

eric

by eric

You can take BART (train) over to the east bay. If you go to Concord its not too long a ride to Mt Diablo, which is a worthwhile ride. The view from the top is spectacular if the air is clear (which is most of the time).

There's also Mt Tam and a bunch of other roads in Marin County which you can ride to from SF by going across the Golden Gate bridge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigben99

by bigben99

Mate, you can reserve one here http://www.bikerentalsanfrancisco.com/ have a nice trip

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The Rapha cycle club SF have rides Thursday at 6pm and sat morning from 9 I think
Nice guys. Fast pace and there is usually some gravel involved
Finish is at one of the regular riders hipster bar. Totally worth checking out

tonytourist

by tonytourist

@Sugarkane, the last Rapha Thursday ride was on Halloween. The Saturday ride was fun when I did it, solid group with lots of regroup points.
@Juan, I know exactly where that is. Next time I am visiting family I will have to stop in as it is .5 miles away from my relatives.

sfo423

by sfo423

TU & TH 7:30AM departure from GGB parking lot to Muir and back (counter clockwise). Can be spirited if you wish. Some decent climbs and descents. Great way to start the day.

djconnel

by djconnel

The main departure point for weekend rides in SF is the Golden Gate Bridge cafe and gift shop on the San Francisco side of the bridge. There's no single dominant ride, unfortunately. A few Sunday options include Scottie's Ride which I think leaves @ 9 am (it's 8:30 am on Saturday) and the more relaxed Mission ride which leaves some time after 10:30 am (it starts with a smaller group @ 18th/Guerrero @ 10 am). Scottie's ride can be quick, but isn't as fast or as impersonal as the Roaster's Ride which leaves 8:30 am on Saturday. The Rapha ride is also quite popular (on Saturdays), but I have no personal experience with it. Saturday doesn't do you much good, however.

Mission cycling rides are listed here. This includes the Bespoke ride which is earlier on Sunday.

These things are rather organic.... I'm sure if I went to the gift shop and hung out I'd see multiple rides I didn't know existed.

On Thanksgiving, I help organize the Low-Key Hillclimbs, which has it's finale on Thanksgiving up Mt Hamilton. That's an epic climb, 30 km of mostly up, but it's in San Jose. But there will also be a Diablo ride, I'm sure.

One early morning weekday option is SF2G, a commuting group, which has an excellent ride this Tue through Half Moon Bay and up Tunitas Creek Road. You can catch the Caltrain back to SF and still get back by late morning while the rest of us go sit on our cubicles.

uraqt

by uraqt

It doesn't get much nicer Tunitas Creek Road!! You are going to have some perfect weather!!!

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

uraqt wrote:It doesn't get much nicer Tunitas Creek Road!! You are going to have some perfect weather!!!

C

Both Tunitas and Mt Hamilton were perfect weather. It starts to get dicey this time of year as we're entering rainy season but so far, fantastic fall.