HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm 

At last, justice for victims of road rage!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17066798

This happened in my city, and is all too common on the roads around Bristol. I have almost been under the wheels of 2 double length busses from the same company on 2 seperate occasions in as many weeks, and thats just the tip of the ice berg, I am hoping this will send a message out to all bus/taxi comapnies, professional drivers and other road users. WE HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO BE ON THE ROADS AS YOU DO!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm 

That's all he got is 17 months? In the US the bus company would be sued for millions.

Did he take his bike off the bus bike rack first? Looks like he has a previous altercation with the bus driver.

Here buses have bike racks one can use.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 pm 

Nah, apparently he had an arguement with the driver, then got on his bike and rode off, the driver saw red and you saw what happened!

I reckon I have at least 2 or 3 misses like that every ride nowadays! I have been rding 25 years and when I first started it was pretty safe, nowadays its like an extreme sport, so the only thing you can do is ride aggressively be seen and you might stand a chance, I obay the rules of the road always but dont take any shit from other road users, I have been knocked off twice in the last 6 years, neither times were my fault and ended up with some injuries and smashed bikes. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 pm 

crazy people

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 am 
in the industry

He got off lightly. I had exactly the same thing happen to me but at 30mph with a Mercedes. Broken ankle & a week in hospital for me, 30 months for the driver. I was lucky that I had witnesses and more importantly the Police & CPS went after the driver for GBH with Intenet. That carries a much higher penalty, as it should. This incident was exactly the same IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am 

The cyclist argued with the bus driver, if I read it well?
That's best to avoid, arguing with drivers.
Obviously he got mad because of that talk. Sure, he deserves the jailtime, but does it heal a broken leg? Better focus on avoiding the accidents, whatever it takes.

And of course, easier said than done, I would probably do exactly like this cyclist did. :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 pm 

I live and ride in Bristol and see this everyday on the way to work. A sorry mess of a City.

Sadly, despite its title as 'England's premier cycling City' it is a complete mess. Haphazard bike lanes merging into traffic, across traffic and pedestrians. Parking bays in cycle lanes, loading bays, the list goes on. Total and utter madness and the Council are a complete joke but then you can change a medieval infrastructure which I think is the real issue as UK cities grew from the centre out.

Try riding down Park St in rush hour and getting onto the cycle path which has the entrance to a taxi rank and a hotel splitting it but is also on the other side of the road so you have to get across on coming traffic and hold up people behind you. Mental !

That incident is truly shocking however and despite The Times newspaper campaign the people who react like this to bike riders usually read other newspapers.

A dangerous place to ride a bike despite what the marketing men say hence why we all head for the Mendips or the Cotswolds....

D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 pm 

it's definatley a marked contrast to riding in France, I know which I prefer!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:08 pm 

Ive never been to UK expect for airports but heard "funny" stories from local cycling friends which you'd never believe until you see video like that one. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 pm 

It seems road cycling has become an extreme sport recently!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am 

Quote:
or the Cotswolds....

Best place to ride, word :up:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
JesseD wrote:
At last, justice for victims of road rage!

Justice? Hah!!

The bus driver should have gotten life imprisonment without possibility of parole for attempted murder. The only early release he should be eligible for would be to a cemetery or an urn, otherwise, serve your time.

Has his driver's license at least been permanently revoked?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 am 

Stunning video. Hard to believe he wasn't charged with attempted murder or assault w/a deady weapon.

Is the victim suing, or is that just an endearing part of the US legal system and culture? In this case, he should...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 am 
in the industry

Fourthbook wrote:
Stunning video. Hard to believe he wasn't charged with attempted murder or assault w/a deady weapon.

Is the victim suing, or is that just an endearing part of the US legal system and culture? In this case, he should...

He was charged and convicted of Dangerous Driving and Causing Grievous Bodily Harm. I had a Mercedes driver do the same to me at 30mph 10 years ago. I was lucky that he was charged & convicted of the higher charge of GBH with Intenet. He got 30 months.

The problem in the UK is that most drivers are never charged with anything other than a driving offence. As a result they are not required to disclose any convictions as they are deemed "Road Traffic Offences". So a person with multiple dangerous driving convictions can carry on with their life unstigmatised, yet a person who has a single, even minor, non motoring conviction has to declare it on job applications for 5 years. Hardly just, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 pm 

bunch of tomfoolery.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next