life after a separated shoulder

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

roca rule

by roca rule

about 2 weeks ago i had an accident @ around 35mph, and i suffered a separated ac. i am feeling better now that the swelling has come down, but i still retain the shoulder bump. i am assuming this is a very common injury for cyclist. for the ones that have suffered such injury how did it affect you riding position or comfort over longer than 50mile rides? how long did the recovery took? was the recovery complete? how is life outside of cycling?
i ask because i do play soccer, and practice other activities. what happens if i have and accident like this in the future? i got scared when the doctors told me that some of the nerves could have been severed.

newfy

by newfy

I went down at 40mph. Broke the collar bone and a rib. That was six weeks ago and I've been on the bike a couple of times Im good for about and hour and half. I did have to shorten my reach but in the long run it's a better fit. I still can't do a push up. The jarring on the bike is ok just get tired in the upper body as the core has gotten weak as well. All I can say is I give Hoogerland and guys like him mad respect. I had a look cleat fail on me and well the rest is history. It's feels like a long and slow road but I tell myself I'll be back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

newfy wrote:That was six weeks ago ...
Was that on your trip to San Fran? Was the crash part of the reason you thank god you live on the east coast?

sorin

by sorin

Torn shoulder this summer from going DW @26mph .. took almost 9. Weeks to b able to lift it up and rotate and and about 3 months and 2 weeks if I remember clearly to have it fully operational ;-) I just road putting very little presssure from the coresponding hand.braking was an issue b\c was always hurting.just brake slowly when you have too and put all the balance and stabilize yourself with the other hand. You can do it. Tiger balm. Patches help a lot too. I never went to doto get mri ...it wasn't that bad ..now I have total control of it and doing a lot of stretching and rehabilitation moves for the shoulder.I do feel some movements are not 100% like before -must be some nerve still taking time to adjust.but again mine was only torn ...hope it helps !

newfy

by newfy

Yes it was from my trip. It was a freak crash. I love the mountians and hills I'm by no means a climber but love bomb mountian passes. I loved Santa Cruz but San Fran was just to busy for me I live in a little coastal town. But I'll be back out for work again and give it another go.

aerozy

by aerozy

Hi mate!

I had a complete AC separation of my right shoulder two years ago going at 80km/h. The bump on your shoulder will always be there but it could diminish over the years as the muscles and nerves build up again. Mine has gone down a little. I had doctors orders to rest for at least a month but I was on my bike a week later. To a normal person this might sound completely crazy as I couldnt even lift an apple. In my defence I actually think the riding was good for me as the joint is kept always under compression which probably helps the healing process. I would avoid contact sports (tennis, football, etc) where the shoulder would be strained under tension.

I was fully operational about 3 months after the crash but the pain only really went away about a year later. I thought I could never play tennis or bowling again but I can now. You'll have to wait a year or so for it to be painless.

Whatever you do dont get the operation! Recovery is anything from 6 to 12 months and ultimately it doesnt cure the problem. If anything it could make it worse.

There is a plus side. Once the shoulder ligaments are torn they cant be torn again. I have fallen on the same shoulder 3 times and wow it's so resistant to pain you wont believe it.

Good luck on your recovery. You might need to give up racing for a while but keep the training up! ;)
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

roca rule

by roca rule

do you know what if it was a type 1,2 or 3?
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

NS

by NS

I've done mine twice, same side. No operation but spent ££ on Physio to get it right. I get the odd twinge and ache if i've been doing something strenuous but if i do my exercises it sorts itself out in no time. Its all about maintaining it in its correct posture to retrain your muscles.

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Separated my left shoulder back in the mid-90's training for one of the first endurance races I remember. Stretched all the ligaments, but none tore. Since that time, my shoulder has separated more easily than before. I have actually separated it in my sleep and had to pop it back in when I woke up. The doctor offered to surgically tighten the tendons/ligaments (can't remember which is which) but I elected not to go through that.

I was back on the bike in that incident in approx 6 weeks, but I was also younger!

In 2010, A guy hit his brakes in front of me hard in a paceline on a training ride and I hit the deck at 25+mph. Unfortunately, I came to a dead stop and did not slide. As a result, I separated my shoulder again, broke the collarbone and broke my right wrist as well.

This time, the shoulder separation went back in almost immediately without pressure, but the collarbone and wrist kept me off the bike for 8-9 weeks.

My doctor this time set my wrist so that it fits the tops of a brake lever on a road bike very well, but not as well on a MTB.

My shoulder is essentially the same as it has been for the past 17yrs. I still don't do any seriously heavy lifting with it, but racing CX and MTB are not a problem. Did one long distance charity ride this summer of approx 175 miles and my shoulder never gave me any problem.

Work on your range of motion progressively and do exercises that will build up the muscles which hold the shoulder together and you'll be fine. The muscle strength is key because the rest of your shoulder structure is likely stretched out too much to keep everything together.

roca rule

by roca rule

This is getting encouraging.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

aerozy

by aerozy

QuattroAssini I believe what you have been experiencing is shoulder dislocation and not separation. Separation implies ligament rupture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separated_shoulder

I ripped all of mine meaning all the bones in the AC joint are now free to go wherever they please (type III). I never did physiotherapy but I always kept my self active and nowadays I think I have a stronger shoulder then I did before the accident. I guess its important to keep your shoulder muscled up to keep the joint in place. It might help prevent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoarthritis in future.

As I mentioned keep on riding and dont worry falling again on the same shoulder. Once the damage is done its done.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Aerozy, I think you are right.

I got this from an orthopaedics website:

A shoulder dislocation is an injury that occurs when the top of the arm bone loses contact with the shoulder blade. This injury is often confused with a shoulder separation, but these are two very different injuries! A shoulder separation is an injury to ligament between the shoulder blade and collar bone. It is important to distinguish between these two problems because the issues with management and treatment are different. Read on for more information about:

In my second injury, it was in fact a pure shoulder dislocation in addition to the broken collarbone. However, my first injury was a separation and dislocation, as my collar bone was not broken during the first injury, but was definitely separated in addition to the shoulder dislocation.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've done a grade 3 about 5 years ago (all ligaments torn). Luckily it wasn't so displaced that I needed surgery but I did need lots of rehab. The rehab is really mind numbingly boring and repetitive but it's super important for the future. There are a group of exercises called the 'super 7' but I'm sure any physio can give them to you. They are done with super light weight or just a rubber band and a door knob.

Word to the wise, I skimped a bit on rehab when first come back and still had issues. 2 years later I broke my leg and took the time to really attack the shoulder issues while laid up and it's been golden every since (although a bit freakish looking :D ).

swinter

by swinter

It all depends on the severity of the AC tear and what other damage you suffered.

I tore my AC back in '06. No surgery. Was back on the bike in six weeks, but definitely had pain. Used lots of ice packs after riding. Started daily physio with weights, which I continue to this day. Trick is to build up the muscles that have to take over from the ligament to hold the arm/shoulder in place. Compression garment definitely helps. (Though the Assos summer weight base layer or Uno jersey is enough to make a difference.)

For some time I favored the torn shoulder when riding, putting more of my weight on the other side (which would then affect that hand).

It doesn't bother me much anymore. Which is to say: I know it's there, but it no longer hurts or affect my riding.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I joined the AC separation club on Oct. 30. Stupid crash in a corner I have ridden hundreds of times. My separation is probably a 2, I say probably because the X-ray did not show significant separation but I do have a clavicle bump as compared to the other side. Doesn't matter, I was not a surgical case so the classification is a moot point. I also suffered some rotator cuff damage, as per assessment by my physio (who is one of my best friends and a regular training partner). He had me in his clinic after 1 week doing light ROM exercises, he said with the rotator cuff injuries it is possible to have a "frozen shoulder" situation. I did intensive PT from week 2 to week 6. I was back on the bike after week 4. I had some pain initially, especially pulling on the bars when leaving from a dead stop but it has gone away for the most part by about week 8. With winter weather around my riding has been sporadic but I did manage two weeks of 11 and 14 hours during the holidays and I have done a couple of 3.5 hour rides now. I would not say I feel 100% normal but probably a solid 90-95%. Of course my fitness sucks.

I have not done too much else other than regular activity and lifting in my job and it is now at the point where I don't notice it. We went away before Christmas and I was lifting luggage with either arm and not really noticing much difference. I can finally sleep on my right side and not have pain in the morning. I was also having some issues with tingling fingers as I went through the PT process, likely muscular changes impinging my radial and ulnar nerves but this has largely subsided.