Now I'm OK with all my 'Made in China' labeled team kit.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bricky21 wrote:I did look, but just overlooked it :oops: but it doesn't my feelings on the matter.

I think that Rapha have a point regarding the availability of production facilities in the UK that can produce to the standard and in the volume they need. The skills to produce Primark stuff exist in Leicester but they achieve that with lower skilled workers, frequently in sweatshop set ups.

Proper, well made performance sportswear is another matter. One thing I have not heard of over the last 7 years is people complaining about quality of construction of their Rapha kit. You don't read about their jackets coming apart. I have heard of a few issues with the gloves, but they're made in the UK....... :wink:

Rick

by Rick

bricky21 wrote:
Rick wrote:the administration of our welfare-state.

Please don't tell me your calling the US a welfare-state. It's more like a your on your own state. Compared to the rest of the civilized world including China The US is pretty far from being a welfare-state.

Well, "welfare state" probably has many shades of meaning.

But did you know that corporate taxes and individual income taxes are actually lower in China than in the USA ?

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I don't own any Rapha stuff, mostly due to price but I suppose I could someday... and after this... I really like my current stuff.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Rick wrote:But did you know that corporate taxes and individual income taxes are actually lower in China than in the USA ?
But in China, if you get caught cheating on taxes, you can be executed. In the U.S., if you get caught cheating on your taxes, you can become Secretary of the Treasury, who among other things, is the person to whom the Director of the Internal Revenue Service reports.

Rick

by Rick

But in China, if you get caught cheating on taxes, you can be executed. In the U.S., if you get caught cheating on your taxes, you can become Secretary of the Treasury, who among other things, is the person to whom the Director of the Internal Revenue Service reports.

Ha ha !

But seriously, I heard an interview with a man whose business runs in both China and America. He said that China was much simpler. In the USA there is a maze of regulations, and he is never sure if he is really complying. In China, he just attends a dinner every year where he hands a bribe envelope to the party officials, and thats it! :)

horse

by horse

Rick wrote:Ha ha !

But seriously, I heard an interview with a man whose business runs in both China and America. He said that China was much simpler. In the USA there is a maze of regulations, and he is never sure if he is really complying. In China, he just attends a dinner every year where he hands a bribe envelope to the party officials, and thats it! :)

You play every game according to the rules. Not knowing the rules and not following them makes him in-compliant to the rules. Defeating the entire purpose of playing the game.
USA (as well as many other places) have a labyrinth of red-tape and bureaucracy. These are the Rules in order to play the game. In every game you have contingencies, and rules ensure you follow the game. If you don't follow the rules you are cheating. But if you find a contingency in the game which is not covered by the rules, then you have found a loophole and this can be exploited until it is closed down by yet new rules.

China is simpler because the rules are not as many in comparison. More open system. You can say the number of contingencies in the game have not come up as many times as in say USA, to be bound by rules. In time rules bind everything, everywhere.

There need to be fewer rules, but more integration of them.

Human civilixations are like a patchwork of humpty-dumpty dotted all over the place. Each with its own rules, own currency, own borders, own everything. Here-in lies many problems.

Rick

by Rick

horse wrote:You play every game according to the rules. Not knowing the rules and not following them makes him in-compliant to the rules. Defeating the entire purpose of playing the game.
USA (as well as many other places) have a labyrinth of red-tape and bureaucracy. These are the Rules in order to play the game. In every game you have contingencies, and rules ensure you follow the game. If you don't follow the rules you are cheating. But if you find a contingency in the game which is not covered by the rules, then you have found a loophole and this can be exploited until it is closed down by yet new rules.

China is simpler because the rules are not as many in comparison. More open system. You can say the number of contingencies in the game have not come up as many times as in say USA, to be bound by rules. In time rules bind everything, everywhere.

Well, in this guy's case, it seemed like the point he was trying to make was that he was trying to foollow the rules in the USA, but they were so complex that he didn't know if he was completely compliant or not.
China actually does have a lot of "official rules", but as long as you pay the bribes you don't have to really follow them.

....just my interpretation of the interview.