Bicycle industry stats

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I was just reading the Campag EPS thread and once again someone asked for actual industry numbers. I've seen this come up a few times over the last few years and nobody ever posts the actual numbers leaving everyone to guesstimate. So I thought I'd take a few minutes to post some actual numbers and facts that can be used in future discussions. This applies only to the U.S. market

This is a report from 2010 published by Gluskin Townley Group. I obviously cannot repost the entire 367 page report, but if you want it you can purchase it. If memory serves it's around $400 from NBDA.

As of January 1, 2010, there were 4,256 specialty bicycle retail store fronts conducting
business across the U.S. There were 63 fewer store fronts than at the beginning of 2009,
continuing the downward spiral since 2003 when there were 5,358 store fronts.

87% of stores are single location.

24% of shops reported an increase in revenue for 09
57% of shops reported a decrease in revenue for 09

% of total revenue by product category
bikes, 41%
parts and acc 26%
repairs 16%
apparel 7%

Percent share of bicycle sales by category
mtb 24%
hybrid/cross 21%
road 20%
comfort 15%
youth 13%
cruiser 6%
recum/tandem 1%

Best selling brands in 2009.
1. Trek
2. Giant
3. Raleigh
4. Haro
5. Specialized
6. Fisher
7. Redline
8. Cannondale
9. diamondback
10. Electra
11. Schwinn
12. Fuji
12. Sun
14. Gt

Average Salary
Owner, $44k
Manager, $33k
Sales/Service manager $29k
mechanic, $20k

Those should be noted by anyone who thinks their lbs is getting rich off of them.

38% of shops offer health insurance.

If I find time or anything else that I think might be interesting I'll try to post it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Very good post Madcow. As someone who has worked on and off in shops for 8 years now, it is sad to see what the economy and internet are doing to some of the remaining good shops.

OJ

by OJ

madcow wrote:Average Salary
Owner, $44k
Manager, $33k
Sales/Service manager $29k
mechanic, $20k

THIS! The reason why I chose to exit the bike trade and I'm not the only one.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks Madcow! :thumbup:

It looks like the percentage of road bikes has increased, good sign.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Raleigh sells more bikes than Specialized?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Best selling brands in terms of bikes or $$?

That might explain some of the surprises in the best selling list...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

elviento

by elviento

Forget about Raleigh, how about Haro. I cannot truthfully remember how any Haro model looks like. And I thought I am obssessed w bikes.

Also I find youth bikes at 13% v. 20% for road quite a surprise. Since the numbers are for revenues, so for every Madone/Evo/SL4/TCRAdv/...... how many little ones do they have to sell? This is amazing.

Epic-o wrote:Raleigh sells more bikes than Specialized?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

LouisN

by LouisN

I can understand the kid's bikes numbers. Over the last 4 years, I bought 8 different kid's bikes. And again I have to buy 3 next year. Even the non-cyclists parents buy bikes for their kids.

Louis :)

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

The best-selling list is interesting. I guess youth (bmx?) is what pushes up Haro and Redline. There are a lot of low end bikes sold every year...WWs are atypical consumers, that's for sure.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i'm assuming the best selling is by bicycle units, not dollars. correct?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

And I presume all these sales figures only include specialty bicycle retail stores. I suspect there are massive quantities of youth bicycles sold by Walmart and the like which are not reflected in the specialty bicycle retail store figures.

sawyer

by sawyer

What if any coverage of online sales do the numbers include.

In the UK most online retailers also have stores, but not all - Wiggle for example does not.

The trend in the UK is in the opposite direction. Over the past 10 years in London I'd guess the number of stores has trebled.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Powerful Pete wrote:Best selling brands in terms of bikes or $$?

That might explain some of the surprises in the best selling list...

It's based on number of units. Also keep in mind that for 2010 number 1 trek and number 6 Fisher merged under the Trek banner.

elviento wrote:Forget about Raleigh, how about Haro. I cannot truthfully remember how any Haro model looks like. And I thought I am obssessed w bikes.

Also I find youth bikes at 13% v. 20% for road quite a surprise. Since the numbers are for revenues, so for every Madone/Evo/SL4/TCRAdv/...... how many little ones do they have to sell? This is amazing.

In 2009 Haro had a strong presence in the mtb scene, particularly with single speed and hardtails, add to that their bmx bikes and I can see why they ranked so well.

GonaSovereign wrote:The best-selling list is interesting. I guess youth (bmx?) is what pushes up Haro and Redline. There are a lot of low end bikes sold every year...WWs are atypical consumers, that's for sure.

When it comes to Redline, they certainly do well to dominate the mini/micro/junior bmx markets, but they also have a very strong presence in the cx world.

Also keep in mind that these numbers reflect only specialty retailers, these do not count the bikes sold at Wally World or other big box stores. These also are not provided by manufacturers but are based off of shops figures.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

As mentioned in another thread, adding some more numbers here.

Total sales for FY 2010.
Shimano, $2,756,669,339
Sram, $524,300,000
Campag, $148,000,000 (reliable estimate)

Net income for FY2010
Shimano, $246,510,473
Sram, $50,000,000
Campag $9,000,000 (reliable estimate)

Interesting story on Campag and their future. I thought this was a great read and recommend it http://justenjoyit.posterous.com/campag ... full-story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

jdp211 wrote:Do you know if this includes Shimano's fishing products as well? As I understand it, rods and reels make up a significant portion of Shimano's income.

That is total sales. Bicycle components tally a little over 80% of their total sales. The remaining portion comes from fishing, golf and subsidiaries such as Pearl Izumi (which while is a cycling industry company, not considered as part of the 80%)

Another interesting comparison, Sram is said to be about $700 Million in debt (I think it was the Chicago Tribune where I read that, but my source may be wrong.) While Shimano has a cash reserve of over 1 billion dollars. Campag sales and income really haven't varied much with a couple of exceptions, since the mid 90's.