New Lightweight Obermayer (pic included)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Hello all-

Christmas came early and I just received my long awaited set of Lightweight Obermayers. Just a quick question regarding the built-in magnet...has anyone had success using it with the Garmin Cadence/Speed sensor mounted on the non-drive side chain stay? Would very much prefer to use this versus a spoke-mounted magnet.

Appreciate any recommendations from fellow enthusiasts.
Attachments
LW1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

A magnet's a magnet, should work with any sensor.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

tcurtbike wrote:A magnet's a magnet, should work with any sensor.

Well, the magnet is located in the rim, not on one of the spokes. Alignment with the cadence magnet mounted on the non-drive crank arm is the issue since there is only one sensor for both speed and cadence.

Any thoughts from experienced Lightweight users?

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Did you read the instructions that came with your Garmin unit? It's as simple as aligning the appropriate sides of the Speed/Cadence sensor with your wheel and crank arm magnets. If you can, all is good. If you can't, you'll have to get a different ANT+ sensor (like this one or this one) or use a spoke magnet.

You don't need to be an 'experienced Lightweight user' to know that, just a bit of common sense.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have always glued a magnet to the spoke on my LWs, as I don't want to mess-around with the sensor when I change to deep wheels. If all the magnets are in the same place, it is easier.

nismosr

by nismosr

congrats Tim ! when are we going to see the new wheels
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

The magnets in the from right? How do you use it for a Cateye strada where the sensor mounts to the chainstay?

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Geoff wrote:I have always glued a magnet to the spoke on my LWs, as I don't want to mess-around with the sensor when I change to deep wheels. If all the magnets are in the same place, it is easier.

Agreed -- that's probably the only option I have as well since the built-in magnet is too close to the BB. Just wondering if any of the Lightweight users have successfully utilized the built-in magnet as designed. With the Ventoux, built-in magnet is installed in the spoke, making it much more versatile. What kind of magnet did you use?

nismosr wrote:congrats Tim ! when are we going to see the new wheels

Thanks Edwin. Maybe this weekend?

Northoceanbeach wrote:The magnets in the from right? How do you use it for a Cateye strada where the sensor mounts to the chainstay?

I believe the magnets are on the non-drive side.

mjduct

by mjduct

if you are using it with a Garmin computer who cares?

just get the sensor lined up for your cadence and let the GPS calculate your speed

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Yeah -- thought about that but a lot of our rides are along tree-lined roads so the speed display will be sporadic.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the quote. PP

sungod

by sungod

even with good signal quality, gps speed/distance accuracy can be mediocre on fast twisty or hilly routes when using a basic gps or smartphone

it's better with devices that have doppler speed estimation, but small gps units usually don't have this, afaik none of the cycling-oriented gps units have doppler, nor any smartphone, instead they rely on a periodic join-the-dots approach, curves become a series of straight lines, i.e. shortened, accuracy gets worse as speed/curvature increase

typically the calculation is done in 2d, so gradient also affects accuracy, again the gps will read too low, even for movement in a straight line, it gets worse as gradient increases

if you want accurate speed (and distance), a device using wheel revolutions vs. time is best, as long as you do a rollout and calibrate to circumference

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Great info -- thanks!
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the quote. PP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com