Long term Shakedry reviews/feedback?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Has anyone jumped on the Shakedry bandwagon yet? How are they holding up long(ish) term?

Looking to buy so curious about whether the material is as good as the reviews have been paid to say they are and whether durability is really there, they feel ridiculously fragile in person!

(I’m probs looking at Castelli as their fit suits my top half)

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Best piece of kit i ever bought. I have the Stretch Version and its amazing. 100% waterproof but its still super breathable.
Jacket ist two years old now and no signs of wear or damage, even though i use it a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chorus88

by chorus88

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 pm
Has anyone jumped on the Shakedry bandwagon yet? How are they holding up long(ish) term?

Looking to buy so curious about whether the material is as good as the reviews have been paid to say they are and whether durability is really there, they feel ridiculously fragile in person!

(I’m probs looking at Castelli as their fit suits my top half)
MerlinUK had a pretty good sale during the Yorkshire World Championships,
Castelli Idro Pro (SS18)=$274CAD & Castelli Idro Pro2 (AW19)=$327CAD :unbelievable:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Jugi

by Jugi

I've had the Gore C7 Shakedry Stretch jacket for one season. Haven't counted hours, but it has been used and spent almost as much time tucked in a jersey pocket.

It hasn't shown any signs of wear, but I have been very pedantic with it. It is a very good piece of kit for rainy or chilly road rides.

ianeire

by ianeire

As already mentioned, would rank as one of the top 3 cycling related things I've ever bought, period. It's one of those items of clothing that if something happened it tomorrow I would instantly replace. I've been using a Shakedry stretch since Jan 2019, and it get regular use here in Ireland.

peted76

by peted76

Yep, as above. Two seasons in and it’s the best bit of kit I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backdoor

by backdoor

I've got the Shakedry C5 1985 jacket. Picked it up on sale for $100usd. Best piece of kit I own. Bundles up tight and slips into a back pocket. Super light, 100% waterproof and keeps just enough heat in for a cold day without getting you all sweaty.

I have other "water repellant" jackets but now just wear them for super cold days and throw on the shakedry to keep dry as it's mostly rain here in the Pacific Northwest for the winters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

TonyM

by TonyM

Gore Tex Shakedry C5 1985 One for 2.5 years now.
Best waterproof jacket I had in the last 30 years!
100% waterproof, best breathability ever!
Incredibly light.
After 2.5 years of use, no sign of wear.
Be careful however with the very fragile material.

Only negative: unsafe black colour.

BTW the fit on the 1985 One is very race oriented.
That’s why they introduced the stretch version later.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

For once the hype of a cycling product (Shakedry) is merited.

I purchased the 7mesh shakedry jacket for a week long trip to the Italian Apps. It proved invaluable as we had two days that we were in the high mountains and torrential rain. Even after a 4 hour ride in the ride remained dry on the inside. Very impressed.

only cons were there’s no warmth to this jacket so need to layer appropriately.

Make sure you get to try them out first as they have different fits.

C36

by C36

TonyM wrote: Only negative: unsafe black colour.

Colour is about to change. They apparently overcame the problem to put colour on the fabric.

For the fit, I though the stretch version was more race oriented? Am I wrong (about to get one)?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They were too snug on me (my bad). But I did like their packability. The biggest thing with any “rain” jacket for me has always been the breathabikity and getting soaked from my own sweat on the inside. So, I generally just accept that I’m going to get wet during a ride, and if it isn’t from the cold rain it will be from sweat, so I try to find a balance between staying warm, protection from the elements, and not getting too overheated on the inside. But if these things fit me, I’d have one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

eins4eins

by eins4eins

C36 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 pm
TonyM wrote: Only negative: unsafe black colour.

Colour is about to change. They apparently overcame the problem to put colour on the fabric.

For the fit, I though the stretch version was more race oriented? Am I wrong (about to get one)?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
You're right. The Stretch Version has the most aggressive fit. Most relaxed is C5. C7 is somewhere in the middle.

Castelli has a super cool version, which is comparable to Gore's Stretch but with 3 outer back pockets. This will be my next purchase.
Think its called Idro Pro.

cerro

by cerro

probertsqbe wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:13 pm
For once the hype of a cycling product (Shakedry) is merited.

I purchased the 7mesh shakedry jacket for a week long trip to the Italian Apps. It proved invaluable as we had two days that we were in the high mountains and torrential rain. Even after a 4 hour ride in the ride remained dry on the inside. Very impressed.

only cons were there’s no warmth to this jacket so need to layer appropriately.

Make sure you get to try them out first as they have different fits.
I think it's a Pro that it isn't warm. Got one too and riding 5,5 in rain on asphalt and gravel in August was awesome. 7Mesh got two openings on the back to reach into your jerseypocket which really worked good too. Happy it seems to hold up so good as I will use mine for a long time :D

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

One more happy user. The breathability is extraordinary. Be very careful and make sure you know what you are buying. The pro models from Castelli are heavier jackets and less compact. The lighter versions are superior IMO. I have 7 Mesh and it does have a flaw. If you really fill your jersey pockets, the access flaps in the back of the jacket may open and allow water to enter. I actually use a small piece of Gorillia tape in the inside to keep the flaps closed. Fit is excellent for the long and lean type. Long arms cover cuffs of gloves with ease. Yeah they're black but in conditions that require the jacket, a flashing light is a very good idea also.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Awesome, thanks for all the replies, seems like it’s a product that’s worthy of all the praise it’s getting.

Thought I was sold on Castelli but I see there’s some deals on the Gore C7 stuff......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com