Anyone ride the Specialized Romin Sadle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

If so, how do you have it setup? Attach pictures if possible.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

I've been riding the romin pro (carbon rails) for about 3 weeks, and so far so good. I've got it set up fairly flat in the middle section. I haven't tried any of the ultra lightweight saddles yet, but this one is plenty comfy and not too heavy. My 143 width weighed about 170 grams.
K.P.A.

fa63

by fa63

I have mine set up very slightly nose down.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the new Venge (the complete bike with Sram Red) has a Romin Evo saddle. the back end looks a little Phenom-ish. sorry i have no pics of that with me.
Im riding the current Romin on my mtb, for what it's worth.

my bike resized2.jpg

me

by me

I set mine up with a level sitting along the centre through the gap in the middle. Basically it is level (as much as possible) at the front and due to the shape kicks up at the back.

I would suggest starting at level and try it, IMO after a couple of 2x20 sessions I can normally tell if it needs adjusting.

Sorry I don't have a pic for you

dee

by dee

I ride mine slightly nose up.

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm asking because my back has been hurting on longer rides (lower back) and it seems as if it is keeping my hips from rotating when I get low or in the drops. I've moved it back considerably and tried running it slightly more nose up (it was flat), but this made the pain even worse. I rode a more aggressive position when I had a Toupe, so I'm thinking that this just might not be the saddle for me.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

dee

by dee

Try lowering your saddle 3-5mm and see if that helps.

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

KWalker wrote:I'm asking because my back has been hurting on longer rides (lower back) and it seems as if it is keeping my hips from rotating when I get low or in the drops. I've moved it back considerably and tried running it slightly more nose up (it was flat), but this made the pain even worse. I rode a more aggressive position when I had a Toupe, so I'm thinking that this just might not be the saddle for me.

I experienced the same issue, and now I am happily back on an Arione CX. I prefer a flat saddle.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

ahumblecycler wrote:
KWalker wrote:I'm asking because my back has been hurting on longer rides (lower back) and it seems as if it is keeping my hips from rotating when I get low or in the drops. I've moved it back considerably and tried running it slightly more nose up (it was flat), but this made the pain even worse. I rode a more aggressive position when I had a Toupe, so I'm thinking that this just might not be the saddle for me.

I experienced the same issue, and now I am happily back on an Arione CX. I prefer a flat saddle.

Ha. I'm on your Romin 143, and I love it. I find that the shape "cups" your ass, no matter on the hoods or drops. I felt like I was perched atop the Arione CX, and had to balance myself using my lower back/core more.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the romin may not be for you. it has significant "hammock" to it. when "flat", the saddle rises from the center to the nose, and when you get down in the drops, and rotate your hips, the nose is in the way of your...goods. if you then tilt the nose down to give you more room, then the sit bone area slopes too much, causing you to slide forward in the saddle, whether you're in the drops or not. a flatter saddle, like the toupe, would give you more room, and it's more tolerant of body position adjustment.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

thisisatest wrote:the new Venge (the complete bike with Sram Red) has a Romin Evo saddle. the back end looks a little Phenom-ish. sorry i have no pics of that with me.
Im riding the current Romin on my mtb, for what it's worth.

my%20bike%20resized2.jpg

Hmm, looks interesting. There aren't really any good pics of it on their site.

From the front:

And rear:

Looks like a narrower nose maybe? That was probably the biggest complaint of most users.

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

ricerocket wrote:Ha. I'm on your Romin 143, and I love it. I find that the shape "cups" your ass, no matter on the hoods or drops. I felt like I was perched atop the Arione CX, and had to balance myself using my lower back/core more.

Glad it is working out for you. I even switched both bikes to an Arione CX, and I could not be happier!

Doctor Who

by Doctor Who

I have one on my Jamis Dragon MTB. It's a great saddle and so much better than the Ariones I was using before. I recommend it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I had one but didn't like the width at the nose of the saddle.
Gave it to my dad and he's happy :thumbup: