Anyone ride the Specialized Romin Sadle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Alright so I actually tried bring my handlebars up a bit and that helped a bunch. The Antares is noticeably more comfortable now, almost non-present since I did that. I will try swapping back to the Romin Evo for a bit now as I would rather not buy another saddle. The issue might have been that my handlebars were significantly too low since bringing them up instantly made a huge positive change.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

motorthings

by motorthings

everyone says that comfort with the romin is very sensitive to saddle angle. handlebar position could definitely affect the angle of incidence between your tuchus and saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

B23

by B23

thanks man I appreciate it.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

motorthings wrote:everyone says that comfort with the romin is very sensitive to saddle angle. handlebar position could definitely affect the angle of incidence between your tuchus and saddle.

The funny thing is that I haven't even tried riding the Romin again since raising my handlebar position. I currently have a Fizik Antares demo saddle on my bike. It went from being quite uncomfortable to un-noticeable and awesome by flipping my stem + and adding the spacers back in. Handlebars are now just a bit below level with the saddle yet know I see myself riding I'm not "upright" in any way, my body is still pretty low and long.

Have a fit session this weekend so I'll see how that goes and either stick with the Antares, try an Arione or try to make the Romin Evo work out again.

joestralia

by joestralia

Made the transition from a Fizik Arione to a Romin EVO Pro with the carbon rails. It was immediately more comfortable! The EVO allows me to ride in the drops with less complaint from the boys. I got the 143 mm after sitting on a Specialized's Ass-O-Meter and it was right on. The differences: The Romin EVO is much shorter; however there is still a good amount of latitude for moving fore and aft. The EVO tail is so much more pronounced which gives you a more planted feel. Definitely a stable feel where I perceive more of my leg power is actually going to the pedals and not leaking out. EVO's nose drops down which allows me ride on the drops more comfortably.

However, I'm not sure that the carbon rails in itself contributes a lot to a plush ride more than the shell does. (Im sure the carbon rails contribute more to Specialized's profits!) The shell actually flexes easily acting like shock absorbers. Hope it doesn't sag with mileage. Cheers!

motorthings

by motorthings

after a few weeks on the romin evo (coming from the toupe expert), i prefer the romin evo hands down. it is more comfortable to ride in the drops, and am able to spend more time in the drops as a result. no downsides!

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Ok well to make a long story short the fit had interesting results to say the least. Turns out that no saddle or shoes for that matter will ever be really comfortable for me due to the significant body imbalances I have. Until those are resolved stuff will always hurt due to pelvic movement and instability.

Basically, the fitter told me, "I have never seen someone like you" the difference in leg length isn't mm's...it's cm's! :unbelievable:
*Going to see actual doctor about this since it explains a bunch of my running problems as well*

motorthings

by motorthings

good luck with that! i have a 6mm skeletal discrepancy, and it made enough of a difference (shims fixed it). i can't imagine how much cm's difference would jack things up. hope your doc and pt can get you on level footing.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

motorthings wrote:good luck with that! i have a 6mm skeletal discrepancy, and it made enough of a difference (shims fixed it). i can't imagine how much cm's difference would jack things up. hope your doc and pt can get you on level footing.

Yeh it's somewhere between 1-2cm :unbelievable: The amount of reach the legs have is not even close to even. My saddle height is 72.3cm for the left leg and to get the right to actually be able to complete the full pedal stroke comfortably and putting power down it should be ~71cm or even less. If I drop the saddle below 72cm my left knee gets really mad really fast so that is a no go, we will see what the doc says I guess.

Have a doctor appointment today to hopefully get some xrays or something to figure out what the heck is going on, needless to say this explains probably all of my bike discomfort... :smartass: