Anyone ride the Specialized Romin Sadle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

headwind816

by headwind816

KWalker wrote:Its not hard to do and I'll probably do it in the next month or so and give it a shot. The glue isn't very thick and a simple heatgun should be able to pry it up.

Did you ever do this? How did it turn out?

KWalker

by KWalker

I did, but it didn't really seem to help anything and I ended up selling the saddle to a friend and not taking pictures. The curvature of the nose ended up being the problem and honestly the experiment was a bit time consuming. If you're interested in something like that just go with the Romin Evo.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

@KWalker - thanks for the response and the advice.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've been messing around on the side with a Romin on my winter hack (cheating on my main squeeze Flite Gel Flow) mainly due to numbness while riding on the rollers or the trainer. Lack of padding really doesn't matter much indoors and the lack of pressure is nice. Out on the road, the Flite is more plush, but I'd like to try the Evo with a touch more padding and definitely the narrower nose, that thing is a pain when seated climbing for me.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

ultyguy wrote:I've been messing around on the side with a Romin on my winter hack (cheating on my main squeeze Flite Gel Flow) mainly due to numbness while riding on the rollers or the trainer. Lack of padding really doesn't matter much indoors and the lack of pressure is nice. Out on the road, the Flite is more plush, but I'd like to try the Evo with a touch more padding and definitely the narrower nose, that thing is a pain when seated climbing for me.

Padding and Narrower nose are the exact reasons I own an Evo now after selling off my Romin. The Evo has cleared up both of the issues I had with the original Romin and has been serving me very well so far! Be prepared to mess with the angle a bit though, this saddle, more than ones in the past, seems to be very dependent upon angle
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

xcnick

by xcnick

A question for those who have tried Toupe and Romin back to back-did you have to adjust your saddle height?

I use a Toupe and have an ISP, and don't want to chop the mast down!

motorthings

by motorthings

I went from the toupe to the romin evo and i ended up dropping the seatpost by about 1/8" to get the equivalent BB ctr to seat top measurement. So, not a huge amount. Maybe you're seat was 1/8" too low in the first place, so it would be perfect?

The seat height fitting is a range (generally from 30-35 degrees), so there is an acceptable + and - to the height.

BTW - love the Romin Evo over the Toupe, and I really like the Toupe.

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks for the reply! Though it's not what I wanted to hear :D

dynaserve

by dynaserve

I have modified my Romin saddles to save 2 to 6 grams....

Only joking - Did it to aid comfort when lent forward / on the drops. Seems to work, no noticeable increase in saddle flex or noise.

Patent pending :D
Attachments
DSC01945 - Copy.JPG
DSC01946 - Copy.JPG

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Ok here is a quick question to all my fellow Romin riders out there. I have a Romin Evo 143mm and I'm experiencing some significant discomfort on slightly longer >20mile rides on the sit bone area's. I have been riding the saddle for a month to month and a half now and this hasn't gotten better.

It feels a bit like part of my rear/sitting area is on and part is off. There is more pressure/weight being held by one side or the other. If I nudge the nose to either side I can shift the feeling to the opposite one. I'm currently demo'ing a Fizik Antares and the feeling is more pronounced with one side hurting and the other not.

Think this means I need a wider saddle? Should I try the 155mm version? I know weight/size has nothing to do with saddle but I do ride with a fair amount of drop and am a tiny featherweight *125pd* climber type so the saddle width thing seems a bit odd to me... :noidea:

motorthings

by motorthings

are your sitbones both on the saddle, and your "soft tissue" over the edges, or is one of your sitbones always hanging off the edge?

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

motorthings wrote:are your sitbones both on the saddle, and your "soft tissue" over the edges, or is one of your sitbones always hanging off the edge?

I'm not really sure...I'm guessing it's a bit of sit bone but I don't really know. I guess I'm not sure if it should be small or larger, just that right now it's like I'm getting saddle sore like spots on a particular spot where I'm sitting.

If I push back onto the wider/widest part of the antares then it all feels good however I always slide forward so this isn't practical. Also, in that position the back of my legs are rubbing/digging the edges of the saddle since I don't think your supposed to sit there.

I'm thinking a size larger might be better, but smaller could be ok too :noidea: Saddle's are annoying to say that least

motorthings

by motorthings

easy enough to try a larger size from the trial saddles the dealer offers (and try the sit-ometer) seatbone measuring device to confirm.

you may want to check your saddle setback as well, the shape of a saddle will affect the setback (even going from a toupe to romin, my setback changed a fair amount. if you don't get the setback right, you may be ending up with you sitbones on the wrong part of the saddle. KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) at 3 o'clock is the benchmark for that, but is one of the fitting rules that can be stretched and broken.

B23

by B23

Does anyone know the rail lengths for the Toupe and Romin?

I'm currently using the Toupe Expert right now but I'd like to give the Romin a try...though I also ride a bike that has a limit on the set back and I think I need something that has a longer rail....then again I could just buy a longer stem(? )

I did a test ride on my new bike yesterday and I think I'm too cramped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

i measure 78mm on the toupe expert, and 70mm on the romin, but the 70mm on the romin is just the textured area. there is still about another 8mm of non-textured area that could be used.