Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm 

I recently came across the L'eroica classic (vintage?) annual cycling event and love the whole concept so much I am planning to ride in 2013. For those who don't know about it here's a nice overview video from Brooks who sponsor the event (warning no carbon fibre appears in this video - grab an expresso coffee or Italian red wine and enjoy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTV9FBH ... re=related

For those who didn't watch - to participate you need a bike built no later than 1987 - no STi's or carbon allowed - so this is the beginning of a vintage bike build project (WW 1980's style).
As a recent convert to cycling I know nothing about old equipment so would really appreciate thoughts on how to approach this.

I ride with a couple of guys who have 1980's bikes that have been in constant use so the hubs, ratchets etc are starting to fail - I'm wondering whether I should try and purchase a NOS or near new 1980's groupset as the first step and then source the rest of the bike or try another approach.

Being an Italian event I am definitely thinking Campy groupest on an Italian frame - maybe a Zullo or Cinelli (or anything) I would really appreciate style or practical advice on what to be looking for - ie what Campy groupset was the best performing in that era (not forgetting that some of the ride is 23%+gradient) Conversely, being Italian maybe the emphasis should be on the most stylish build regardless of how badly it performs...
In return I will hopefully be able to start a thread around a stylish vintage WW build and a ride as well.

'83 De Rosa Professional |'11 Baum Corretto |'08 BMC Pro Machine >6 |'86 Pinarello Team |'72 Cinelli SC |'58 Bianchi |'71 Cinelli SC |'78 Masi GC |'83 La Redoute Motobecane |'94 Banesto Pegoretti |'88 Bianchi X4 |'48 Super Elliott |'99 Look Kg281

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:30 pm 

So cool. I would love to do that!

I raced on Zullo for about 5 seasons after we got dropped by Colnago. They were beautifully made and every bit the equal of Colnago from a construction perspective. They would make the bikes any way we wanted and delivered on-time, every time. My last pair of Zullo Race bikes are still in my collection.

About 30% of my collection is 80s-vintage race bikes. You will be fine with a reasonably-conditioned Super Record group. Every single small part is replaceable and still available. Hoods are starting to get expensive, though! For freehubs, I rode my entire racing career on Maillard, even when we were sponsored by Regina. They were heavy and solid steel, but they never failed.

That is a great project. Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:42 pm 

At first Id start to look at a frame that fit you in size and look, then search around for a Super Record; there are sometimes some good deals around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm 
in the industry

dadoflam08 wrote:
I recently came across the L'eroica classic (vintage?) annual cycling event and love the whole concept so much I am planning to ride in 2013. For those who don't know about it here's a nice overview video from Brooks who sponsor the event (warning no carbon fibre appears in this video - grab an expresso coffee or Italian red wine and enjoy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTV9FBH ... re=related

For those who didn't watch - to participate you need a bike built no later than 1987 - no STi's or carbon allowed - so this is the beginning of a vintage bike build project (WW 1980's style).
As a recent convert to cycling I know nothing about old equipment so would really appreciate thoughts on how to approach this.

I ride with a couple of guys who have 1980's bikes that have been in constant use so the hubs, ratchets etc are starting to fail - I'm wondering whether I should try and purchase a NOS or near new 1980's groupset as the first step and then source the rest of the bike or try another approach.

Being an Italian event I am definitely thinking Campy groupest on an Italian frame - maybe a Zullo or Cinelli (or anything) I would really appreciate style or practical advice on what to be looking for - ie what Campy groupset was the best performing in that era (not forgetting that some of the ride is 23%+gradient) Conversely, being Italian maybe the emphasis should be on the most stylish build regardless of how badly it performs...
In return I will hopefully be able to start a thread around a stylish vintage WW build and a ride as well.
If the rules say pre-87 that should allow you to use first generation C-Record. Consequently a 39 inner ring is possible. I'd echo Geoff's view on Maillard freewheels too, Regina were lovely when new but weren't known for their durability. Simplex Retrofriction levers work well with Campag too. Check on the Aero Levers too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 am 
Shop Owner

maybe a bonded Vitus with Mavic OR7s, Dura Ace AX 7300, and a de-upholstered Selle Italia Flite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 am 

Mine is prefaced on 70's stuff. I didn't ride much in the 80's. Great idea. You can go on Campyonly / Campyoldy. They have loads, or did have, lots of Campag stuff, plus rims etc. Campag Nuovo Record was the groupset followed by the C Record I think. Frames: There are still some old school Colnago's before they started going overboard with the paint jobs. Their early 70's frames were understated and very nice. Of course there are other framebuilders from that era such as Masi and De Rosa.

Wheels: Low profile of course. We used to ride mainly Super Champion rims, Campag record hubs, Regina cassettes (they were not actually in a cassette; tubulars were Clement or Vittoria. I rode cheap Barum tubs, the others were too expensive.

Cinelli Bars (64 or 66) and stems. Campag headset. Saddles were usually Unicanitor, brakes Campag or Universal. Binda toeclips, Christophe straps.

Make sure you have a wool jersey. Hairnet lid, etc. I still have some of these that you could use although we hardly ever raced with lids on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am 

Dont know if you are aware of TC from the Fyxomatosis blog in Melburn at all, but check his site as he has plenty of old frames and parts for sale. Also sells on Evilbay. His stuff is expensive but always top notch.
http://www.fyxomatosis.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
dadoflam08 wrote:
What about a pre-1987 carbon frame? I have a 1985 vintage Alan Record Carbonio carbon frame including carbon chain and seat stays (but alu lugs and head tube, and originally with alu fork/steerer). That was a WW frame in its era. TVT was also around then. There were even plenty of Carbon frames ca. 1984, although not many with carbon chain and seat stays.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm 

I still have some old (but perfectly working) Campy stuff that came off of my '84 Pinarello Record when I rebuilt it with 10sp Record. It is in VG or better condition, all well maintained. Let me know by pm if your interested. I know I have a NR crankset (170 arms, 52/42), SL pedals/ clips/ Binda straps, a set of Campy and a set of Modolo downtube shift levers, and I've forgotten what else (I know there's a set of Suntour Superbe brakes, too, which are beautiful and in great condition, but not Italian, of course, if you are looking to be a purist!). The drive train (NR) has already been sold. I have a bunch of freewheels, too (Italian thread, of course).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm 

Everyone will be on Campag. If I had the money and a couple of months to bid on Ebay to get it all together I would actually go for a Mavic SSC groupset. The brakes are made my Modolo, pedals and possibly chainset by TA and gear levers were Simplex I think. In its time this groupset more expensive than Super Record and today certainly rarer and more desirable. It is a nice mix of French & Italian components.

Something like this is around 1982-1984 I reckon:

As for the frame. The most winningest frame maker of all time and still the most successful cycling team in the history of cycling is Peugeot. I would hunt down a 1987 Peugeot PX-10 I reckon. Preferably one in the Italian blue of course!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm 
in the industry

HammerTime2 wrote:
dadoflam08 wrote:
What about a pre-1987 carbon frame? I have a 1985 vintage Alan Record Carbonio carbon frame including carbon chain and seat stays (but alu lugs and head tube, and originally with alu fork/steerer). That was a WW frame in its era. TVT was also around then. There were even plenty of Carbon frames ca. 1984, although not many with carbon chain and seat stays.
TVT were a little later, circa 1988/89. There's always the original Vitus Carbon 3 which Peugeot used in the early to mid 80's or the original Looks that La Vie Claire rode in 86 and Toshiba rode in 87.

hockinsk wrote:
As for the frame. The most winningest frame maker of all time and still the most successful cycling team in the history of cycling is Peugeot. I would hunt down a 1987 Peugeot PX-10 I reckon. Preferably one in the Italian blue of course!
If you're going Toute Mavic there is only one frame manufacturer to consider - Vitus. Kelly Blue in alloy or a Carbone 9.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:11 am 

Vitus perhaps too obvious a choice. 99% of those riding Eroica will not be paying homage to Peugeot despite more races won on a Peugeot frame than any other since the dawn of cycling (ok some were painted Masi's too). The PX's used to come with Mavic SSC out of the factory, so would be more apt than even Vitus to my eyes. Too subtle for many though, who would just see it as a crappy Peugeot I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:21 am 

I would look at getting Modolo Kronos Brake Levers, calipers, and shift levers. They didn't work that well for me when i rode them but they certainly looked good. The huret jubilee rear derailleur was a popular light choice. Suntour Superbe Pro track pedals were very popular for racing. For wheels, I think a pair of Mavic GEL 280 laced to Phil Wood hubs would look great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:10 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
ultimobici wrote:
TVT were a little later, circa 1988/89. .

Per http://www.lookcycle.com/en/all/look-cy ... toire.html , Look produced a TVT tubed carbon frame in 1986 (ridden by Lemond in some of the stages in his 1986 TdF victory). I can't find it, but I'm pretty sure frames with TVT carbon tubes were sold in 1985.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:10 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 am 

The classic Peugeot that most associate with is the white one; and the checkerboard white jersey when it was Peugeot-BP is the all time classic jersey IMO.

The bikes less so. Masi built frames for Simpson and Merckx. You can tell the difference on old shots from 1967. Their frames had no black lug lining on the head tube and looked much nicer. Note that Merckx also rode with Universal side pull brakes when the others were on centre pull Mafacs, Stronglight chainsets, Simplex gears. Merckx made some very disparaging remarks about the stock bikes they were provided with. In 1968 Merckx had then moved on to Faema and Simpson was dead.

For me the most iconic pics I've seen are from 1967 Paris - Nice. Merckx and Simspon broke away on the penultimate stage and pulverised the rest. The former won the stage, the latter won the race. Some great pictures of them riding in tandem.

My other fave is the Salvarani jersey on the shoulders of Gimondi (the coolest looking rider ever along with De Vlaeminck); the bike the celeste Bianchi.

I have woollen jerseys for Peugeot, Salvarani and Faema.