Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:34 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:16 am 

Hello all.

My fav bib shorts ever are the old Assos F1 S2 like these:

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

with the orange pad as shown here:

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

EDIT: sorry, can't get the links to work!

I still have a few pairs but despite repairing them a couple of times after crashes, they are now on their last legs.

My favorite things about them were the pad (thicker than the current Assos pad and not "floating") and the lycra in the legs was less stretchy, more firm and stays in place.

I've tried the new Assos, Castelli (pad too thin, lycra too stretchy) and others. So far the next best for me is Sportful Bodyfit Pro because the pad is thicker than some others and everything (pad and legs) stay in place ok. But still not as good as my old faithful Assos S2.

So what is the closest to the old S2, thinking especially about a thicker pad and a pad and legs that don't stretch too much, just stay put?

Thanks in advance!

GJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:32 am 

Along the lines of lots of compression and a thicker pad are DeSoto 400-mile bibshorts. I like them for the two reasons you mention. Lately I've tried out a few X-Bionic models, and while I think they are the best shorts I've ever worn in hot/humid conditions, they lack the level of compression I'd prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 am 

The S2s are my favorite as well, but haven't found anything as good. I will say the Rapha Classic bib pad is great, but the compression is lacking compared to the S2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 am 

Yeah the Rapha pad is ok but legs have very little compression and are too stretchy. Everything just moves around far too much with my Rapha bib shorts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 am 

Thanks Boysa, I'll look into the Desoto.

Looking at their web site they say that the legs are shorter than standard.... not sure I like the sound of that, don't want the Tommy V look. How does the length compare with, say, Castelli?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am 

Ha! The length is one of the main reasons I like the DeSoto! They are more in line with what I would call normal length, that is, not the excessively long legs which seem to have come into vogue. They fit me very well, but of course we are all built differently.

I say typical pro-length, not the Lance and not the Tommy V. Somewhere in between.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 am 

For what it is worth the Rapha Pro Team are much more compressive and tighter fitting than the Classic and i find the chamois (of PT) from a padding and positional perspective very comparable to the Assos S5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am 

I was smart and bought half a dozen pairs from the factory outlet after they rediscovered 10000 of the old inserts 8)

Best shorts they ever made i think, its a pity they changed to "US fit", and used that giant blue nappy :roll:

Closest fit wise i've used are the frc Giordana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:24 am 

I suggest you try Giordana FRC series with Cirro OmniForm chamois like:

http://www.giordanacycling.com/men/summ ... -bib-short

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:40 pm 

The Rapha Pro Team has almost the same CyTech chamois as the old Assos S2. I also prefer the fabric of the Rapha (more compression and slightly longer).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:14 pm 

I can't recommend another brand but you really should try the newer floating design. I was skeptical at first but they are definitely the most comfortable Assos bib shorts I've worn. And that's saying something. I also have several of the older orange pads in knickers and that is a great pad. Let us know what you try and what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 pm 

I'll second the thumbs up on the most current Assos models with the "floating" chamois as Vagabond describes above.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm 

boysa wrote:
Along the lines of lots of compression and a thicker pad are DeSoto 400-mile bibshorts. I like them for the two reasons you mention. Lately I've tried out a few X-Bionic models, and while I think they are the best shorts I've ever worn in hot/humid conditions, they lack the level of compression I'd prefer.

DeSoto is very close to my house, but I had never tried them, recently they where having a big sale so I stopped by. I got to try on all their stuff, meet Mr DeSoto, his Wife and his team, I will say I was very impressed. Great products and 1st rate customer experience, also if for any reason you do not like what you buy you can return it for a full refund.

I ended up with 2 sets of bibs ....

Carrera - These fit me great in size Medium, I'm very happy with them.

400-Mile - I tried these in side Medium also but I was not used to the all over compression these have. It feels like a bit of pressure all over, I was afraid I would not like this on a long ride so I bought a size Large. So far these are also working out great also.

Pad info - Patent Pending Integrated 400-Mile Ceramicoâ„¢ 14 mm Pad.This pad floats and stretches which means it can be used as a race piece in a triathlon. On the bike, the pad stretches with the short and follows your skin as it moves with every pedal stroke, eliminating the friction that can cause irritation or rashes.