Metal Crankset - Sweet Wings or Coda Magic?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Given a choice between the two which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Sweet Wings
67%
Coda Magic
33%

Total votes: 6

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

at one point I think I owned 4 pairs of Coda Magics. great cranks even 20 years on. But if you mount them make sure you use blue loctite on the crank bolts as the self tightening bolts do the opposite. Also, until you know that the bolt is set ride with a multi-tool cause they have a horrible tendency to back out.

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Why not still use either set? I thrash my Coda's on rocks, roots, crashes, everything. Hold up real nice! And as was mentioned, they weigh less than most modern cranksets, and have terrific stiffness. Q factor is a tad wider than some, but no issue for me on the mtb.

from sunday:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hey xnavalav8r,

I've got a pair of original silver Magic Motorcycle cranks with original chainrings etc...I was thinking of possibly putting some Praxis rings on them and swapping them over from my older Campy carbon square taper chain set/bb...

What's your opinion on this? I'm not trying to look retro but thought they might look unique on my Merlin Extralight?

Wingnut

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I had the Magic Motorcycle in 1995 on a Super V 2000. I purchased them aftermarket but traded them for a set of Mavics on White Industry hubs because I remember the drive train being annoyingly noisy due to the rings. I loved the weight and the beefy design. The hubs were garbage anyway... Oh the 90's.
carbonLORD.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I love the look of the older Magic and Coda cranks. The set I had were brand new old stock. I never used them. They're actually in Trek's bike museum now. My Sweet Wings are for sale.

I think the older cranks can be really great. But definitely use modern chainrings.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

I have a pair of the coda 900 MM style cranks on my beach cruiser now that I retired them from the mountain bike. My most adored crankset;-)

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Had it not been for the outdated spacing of the chain rings and the non-bb30 fit to my system six I would have put them on my system. Since that's the case I still have them on my Super v2000 with a 48tooth raceface ring that was like impossible to find on the bay. in 20 years they have never given me a problem and are the stiffest cranks I have felt. :thumbup:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

It ended up that I couldn't use mine as I don't have a hole to access the allen key when tightening my Time pedals... ;(

Wingnut

by Wingnut

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My Sweet Wings are for sale.

lowntegra

by lowntegra

hi everyone! i am new to this forum, directed here by a gentleman that i procured some magic cranks from. he recommended i come check this place out, and specifically this thread.

i have sourced two sets of the magic cranks (CODA's , not the actual magic motorcycles), but unfortunately, neither set has come with bottom brackets. i am curious if any of you may have some spares kicking about? spindles, cups, or the fixing bolts would help my cause out ;)

you can reach me here, or email (as i do not yet see PM's available to me). i am also very active over on the retrobike forums as well, if you guys are looking for some more info on these particular cranks.

thanks to all! happy holidays!

bryan g.

bryan_garmon AT HOT mail (dot) com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I saw some bottom brackets on ebay recently.

lowntegra

by lowntegra

yes, im in contact with the sellers. no BB cups or bolts available yet though....

may be interested in your sweet wings... PM me.

lowntegra

by lowntegra

i just wanted to share some information i found while working with the Coda's:

i finally got them installed on my retro mountain build, and discovered there are alternatives to the super-hard-to-find bottom bracket cups. turns out, one of the crank sets i bought did come with a bottom bracket spindle and cups from the seller, which he thought were trashed. i bought new bearings for the cups and all worked fine.

now, the interesting part- the spindle shares the exact same diameter with the newer "external" type BB cups- 25mm. i currently have a shimano hollowtech II drive side cup/bearing assembly on my bike. fits perfect. shimano hollowtech, FSA, SRAM gxp, raceface, etc...would all work.

you may need some spacers, depending on the spindle length, and shell width. i know the different length spindles were fairly specific to the cups. and most were made for a 68mm shell.

here it is on the bike, kinda hard to see. i can take some better pics if there is interest.

vdrey

by vdrey

Better pics would be excellent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com