Mavic Ksyrium rim wear - concave brake track?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

I just noticed that on a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels I've borrowed, on the rear wheel, the brake track on the wheel is concave.

It goes deep in the middle, and extends toward the rim and the rim edge.

The front wheel is however not concave to the same extent.

Is this a sign of wear, or is it a design?

Supposedly they have not seen many kms of action.

Last edited by djm on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

It is wear. Significant wear by the sound of it.

djm

by djm

Obviously there was quite a lot of wear to these ES wheels and they were written off. However, I'm now experiencing wear on a set of Ksyrium Elites that I bought this spring, they've seen quite a few kms (probably around 14 000 km) and lots of it in bad weather.

By the look of it the rim walls are concave by about >0,5mm... is that significant enough to justify a rim swap?

Judging by the pictures in this thread: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50083.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there's still quite a bit of rim wall left even with more wear than what my rims are showing.

What is disconcerting is that the rim wear seems to have accelerated in the past couple of months with quite a few wet/slightly dirty rides.. and I've been very diligent in cleaning the bike and checking the brake pads for debris.