New Rapha Winter gloves.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Rapha products and Assos products aren't made any better than anything else, they just have better marketing and appeal to the riders that want to channel retro/technical appearances for whatever reason. I found my Assos 3 layer system to be bulky, poorly made (everything fell apart), and annoying. I now use some Gore or Castelli gloves for the winter and have no problems. My Giro Lusso summer gloves have been to hell and back, look just like the Rapha ones that cost twice as much, and work just fine. Everyone I know that has used Rapha gloves has had a problem with them. The Rapha merino neck warmer is pretty much useless and was a giant waste of money, as was their winter hat. To each their own, but its a lot to pay for something that isn't terribly functional well-made, and worth the cash.

I do have the Rapha softshell, however, and I think its an awesome jacket.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StefanR

by StefanR

you see these nice holes ;) compare the design with the Giro Lusso ones... for sure the Giros are good, so are the ones here in the picture ;)

diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

limba

by limba

I don't want to get into the Rapha sucks/it's overpriced/such and such is just as good for half the price... there's plenty of threads on the internet covering that already. This thread is about the winter gloves and the temperature they work at. If you want to add something other than that start your own Rapha Sucks thread.

giant man

by giant man

kac wrote:I can't comment on Rapha winter gloves, but I purchased a pair of their all leather (some exotic type, doubtless) summer gloves and the stitching came apart at the seams after about a month of use. A trip to the local shoemaker and $10.00 fixed the problem along the problematic seam, but then another seam let go. I think these would be nice for driving a Ferrari, but if the construction quality of the summer gloves is indicative of what can be expected from the winter type, I would pass.

KAC

Do you mean the Grand Tour gloves for 100 quid? I am surprised.

kac

by kac

Yes, I believe that was the model Rapha summer glove.

Thanks,
KAC

muzz

by muzz

I love the Rapha 'winter collar' (i.e buff, neck warmer). Wear it round the neck with skull cap on my bald dome when it's freezing, or over my bald dome when it's too warm for skull cap.

Other brands do merino 'buff' type things too and I assume they will be just as good though.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Say what you will about where/how it is made, but they really do stand behind their products. On more than one occasion, I've had issues and they have either fixed or replaced the items with no cost to me at all. I particularly enjoy their bibs, jerseys, and jackets.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

OK that sounds like way too many issues with the product. Now I know what we are really paying for at Ralpha: replacement, shipping, possible crash replacement as well.

By the way the $30 bibs and I have several have had no issues with not even a stitch.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

KWalker

by KWalker

The problem with Rapha is that their fanboys and forum members are the same ones posting all the awesome praises here and us that have had less than stellar experiences get drowned out. Their stuff looks nice, but isn't made well.

I had Rapha gloves and they ripped in two rides. Got a refund, which is good, but they shouldn't have ripped in the first place. They do look nice in pictures taken with the hipstamatic app on the iPhone.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

giant man

by giant man

KWalker wrote:The problem with Rapha is that their fanboys and forum members are the same ones posting all the awesome praises here and us that have had less than stellar experiences get drowned out. Their stuff looks nice, but isn't made well.

I had Rapha gloves and they ripped in two rides. Got a refund, which is good, but they shouldn't have ripped in the first place. They do look nice in pictures taken with the hipstamatic app on the iPhone.

Well actually no, you're wrong. The winter gloves are my first purchase of anything Rapha, so I would hardly call that 'fan-boy; territory ......

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Giant man,

First - it is not necessary to have a full quote of the post immediately preceding your post.
Second - Kwalker was not referring to solely you, and by your response it seems as though you took it that way, as if you are the only person on this forum, on this thread, in the world. No need to get all wound up about it, man.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

StefanR

by StefanR

there is a problem in the forum with rapha fan boys? ;) what is a "rapha fan boy"?
diversity.....

KWalker

by KWalker

no problem, but they're the only ones who endlessly defend the brand regardless of its many flaws and products that are designed more with looking cool in mid-ride photos than performing super well or holding up well. I've owned quite a few of their products and the only thing that hasn't broken in the first month was the softshell. Its great that they accept returns, but stuff that is that expensive shouldn't break like that.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Santoki

by Santoki

Wow I was just giving my opinion on one rapha product (the winter gloves). Just like most companies Rapha makes some great products, some good products and bad products. I really like their like their pro team glove line (in which I'm including the winter gloves because they are similarly constructed), simple gloves which I find very well made. Does this make me "fanboy"? In fact, I completely agree with some earlier posters that their fancy leather gloves look great, but I didn't get on so well with them. Similarly my long-finger assos gloves are hole ridden, while my assos tights are brilliant.

To each their own and I will stick with their gloves.

StefanR

by StefanR

KWalker wrote:no problem, but they're the only ones who endlessly defend the brand regardless of its many flaws and products that are designed more with looking cool in mid-ride photos than performing super well or holding up well. I've owned quite a few of their products and the only thing that hasn't broken in the first month was the softshell. Its great that they accept returns, but stuff that is that expensive shouldn't break like that.

excuse me Walker, you came up with the ""problem"" before, thats why I asked. ;) so is there a bigger history in the forum about fan boys "endlessly defend the brand" rapha? to me you sound a little too global " I've owned quite a few of their products" means?
3, 5, 10, 15 20, or more? and with how many of these products you had problems, I am interested, just to get an idea.

my own experience tells me that, (I have a whole wardrobe full of their stuff) maybe from 100 pieces you have 1-2% faulty stuff. so what means faulty? faulty means that maybe some stitching opened, these to me are minor faults. you get them with any company, assos, nallini ect. and I bought a lot of cycling cloth in 25 years of cycling.
diversity.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com