The Helmet Weight and Info Thread.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Epic-o

by Epic-o

djconnel wrote:NaCl, I suspect.

That's funny :lol: My Large Euro Specialized 2D weighs 217gr...without any ionic compound

semaj

by semaj

My Large Specialized White Prevail helmet (SNELL rated, USA version) weighs 261g without all the discretionary stickers on the inside of the lid. I kept the design decals on the outside alone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcusp

by marcusp

Other than style points, what does a $200 helmet really buy you?

Sure, I mean, why would anyone want a stylish item?!!

My Giro Prolight (M) came in at 165g; 7g less than claimed. I find it very comfortable.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Just got a 2011 Giro Ionos with the new RocLoc 5 in small. Came in at 308grams. Not light, but damn it is comfortable and great ventilation. I went and tried on the Prevail again. So glad I didn't go that way, it doesn't fit my head at all. Lighter than hell but not very comfy.

So far the winners for me are the Bell Volt and Giro Ionos. Although my Specialized S-works was much lighter, it felt heavier after a day of riding due to the pressure points it hit on my head. I like my Lazer Genesis, but has no place to put my glasses. HATE that!

I still own my Volt, Lazer and new Ionos, but I only wear the Volt or Ionos.

EDIT: 308 grams for my Ionos. Not 318.
Last edited by spinwax on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zak

by Zak

My Specialized Prevail size medium in white just came in the door and it weighs 199g and was bought in England (I don't know if there is a euro version). I just love how dived under the 200g mark :D .

gs15step

by gs15step

For what it's worth, my 2010 Giro Prolight in medium came in UNDERWEIGHT at 169g, compared to the 172g claimed weight.

I came from a 2010 Catlike Whisper, and although I didn't weigh it, it feels like you're strapping a big old lump of lead to your head, as a pose to the Giro being un-noticeable.

GS

swinter

by swinter

swinter wrote:Specialized 2D, large. claimed: 284. actual 272.

The Prevail looks like a nice upgrade. When I need to replace my helmet, that will probably be the one.

Well, a stupid accident in Florida a couple of weeks ago made it time to replace the 2D. (My noggin was fine, though. So, thanks Specialized.) Got a Prevail, but haven't ridden with it yet. (It's in the single digits -- farenheit -- here right now.)

Claimed weight (it's a large) 248. Actual weight, 254.

PS - what's the helmet that Euskaltel is wearing in the TDU? have gotten so used to seeing them in the Catlike, that the new lid was startling.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Epic-o

by Epic-o

swinter wrote:
swinter wrote:Specialized 2D, large. claimed: 284. actual 272.

The Prevail looks like a nice upgrade. When I need to replace my helmet, that will probably be the one.

Well, a stupid accident in Florida a couple of weeks ago made it time to replace the 2D. (My noggin was fine, though. So, thanks Specialized.) Got a Prevail, but haven't ridden with it yet. (It's in the single digits -- farenheit -- here right now.)

Claimed weight (it's a large) 248. Actual weight, 254.

PS - what's the helmet that Euskaltel is wearing in the TDU? have gotten so used to seeing them in the Catlike, that the new lid was startling.

Orbea helmet

swinter

by swinter

Thx
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

toshi

by toshi

spinwax wrote:ARRRRRGGGGG!!!! I love the looks of my new Lazer Genesis, but there is no place to put your glasses!!! WTF??????? I do a lot of climbing, and when you are grinding up a hill dripping sweat the last thing you want is your glasses keeping cool air off of your face and dripping sweat all on the insides. I guess I will have to put them in my pocket. This sucks.

Interesting... so no place to slot glasses? I see vents that seem like they would hold sunglasses. I have Oakley Radars that fit into my current Bell Sweep, bummer if I won't be able to do this with the Genesis that I just ordered. Can anyone confirm this? :(

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

I have a Lazer Helium. There are plenty of vents, including ones you would think be able to securely hold a pair of Radars, but no dice. It is a giant pain to get a pair to sit right.

KvnP

by KvnP

Anyone got any thoughts on the Prevail ?
How does it fit/comfort ?
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

jipperd

by jipperd

The prevail is along with the giro prolite, the lightest helmet on the market. As for comfort and fit the prevail has improved slightly compared to the 2d helmet.
Wearing both of them I found.the prevail to be way more comfortable and better adjustable.
Other than that I know that although the prolite helmet is approved it never past the safely tests. I can't comment if it's dangerous to wear it but it hasn't been approved. As for the prevail I don't have such information so I can't argue that.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

jipperd wrote:Other than that I know that although the prolite helmet is approved it never past the safely tests. I can't comment if it's dangerous to wear it but it hasn't been approved. As for the prevail I don't have such information so I can't argue that.

How could it get approved if it never passed the safety tests?

jipperd

by jipperd

I guess things don't always follow the route it should.. I have to add the comment that the info came partial from giro Europe.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com