The Helmet Weight and Info Thread.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I have not seen a thread dedicated to this so I thought I would start one.

Got myself a new Lazer Genisis Rd yesterday. Decided to weigh it as well as the more expensive Helium. Some nice surprises.

What was interesting is the Helium shell is larger than the comparable Genesis. I was going to get the Helium but it looked ridiculous on my head. Well, come to find out the one that fits my head in the Genesis is about 2cm smaller in shell size (ear to ear diameter) and looks way cleaner. The similar sized Helium has a much larger outsize shell; weird. The Helium is offered in a XXS-S/M-L/L-XL. The Genesis in a XXS-M/L-XL. So maybe that is the difference. Who knows? Personally the Genesis looks a little sleeker as well the way the ribs meet up around the helmet. All personal preference I guess.

Feel free to add any helmet weights you would like. Please include claimed by the manufacture, real weight, and any other info that may help someone with their purchasing decision.

2011 Lazer Helium in XXS-SM Claimed weight was 220 Grams. Real weight was 297!!!!!

2011 Lazer Genesis RD in XXS-M Claimed weight was 290 Grams. Real weight was only 310.
Not bad. Plus retail is about 50.00 to 80.00 USD less than the Helium depending on where you get it.

The other problem with the Helium is it was either too big or too small. The XXS-S was too small (fit, but if I wore an ear band or cold weather hat, it wouldn't fit) and the M-L was much too big. The Genesis seemed to have a better fit on me. I must not be the only one with this issue considering there are a ton of pros and almost all cyclo cross pros that are sponsored by Lazer are wearing the Genesis not the Helium.

EDIT: Weighed my actual helmet at home. Came out at 310 grams. Size XXS-M White Genesis.
Last edited by spinwax on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murphs

by Murphs

Haven't weighed them, but my new Giro Ionos is much heavier than my old Specialized 2D (both Large)

Ionos ventilates and fits my head better though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

El Cheapo Giro Transfer helmet from Performance - $20
Claimed: 280g, actual 282g.
Other than style points, what does a $200 helmet really buy you?

pierre-san

by pierre-san

Limar 969 size M 270grs, claimed 280grs, Limar PRO 104 size M 185grs, claimed 180grs.

Catlike Kompact Pro size M 246grs, claimed 240grs

Great thread!

sawyer

by sawyer

spinwax wrote:
2011 Lazer Genesis RD in XXS-M Claimed weight was 290 Grams. Real weight was only 315.[/b] Not bad. Plus retail is about 50.00 to 80.00 USD less than the Helium depending on where you get it.

Not bad in terms of actual vs. claimed, but 315g for a XXS - M helmet is very heavy.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

sawyer wrote:
spinwax wrote:
2011 Lazer Genesis RD in XXS-M Claimed weight was 290 Grams. Real weight was only 315.[/b] Not bad. Plus retail is about 50.00 to 80.00 USD less than the Helium depending on where you get it.

Not bad in terms of actual vs. claimed, but 315g for a XXS - M helmet is very heavy.

I should have mentioned, they both had all the tags on them. Yeah, a little heavy, but it is such a great helmet. Super comfortable, great looking, and tons of ventilation. The quality of the Lazers seem to be a notch up from many of the others. I think when they get really light like the ProLight by Giro they lose a lot in quality and looks. I had a Prevail on order, but I just got sick of waiting for it. I still might get it. You can never have too much cool cycling stuff! 8)

semaj

by semaj

My 2011 White/Silver Giro Ionos in a size Large (without stickers and cut-to-size chin strap) weighs 315g.

It may be a bit on the heavy side, but the fit and ventilation is the best for me compared to the Bell Volt and the LAS Victory helmets.

Rick

by Rick

Other than style points, what does a $200 helmet really buy you?

More efficient cooling vents.
I wouldn't have believed it until I first rode with a Giro Atmos.
(of course that isn't really a $200 helmet. I got it for $140) :lol:

yongkun

by yongkun

pierre-san wrote:Limar 969 size M 270grs, claimed 280grs, Limar PRO 104 size M 185grs, claimed 180grs.

Catlike Kompact Pro size M 246grs, claimed 240grs

Great thread!

spot on for my Pro 104 too, after switching to Ionos i find it to be too heavy and switched back to 104 again. :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Lazer Blade L-XL 350g bang on.

What a pig :(

hockinsk

by hockinsk

My Ekoi CL came in at 186g.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

kulivontot wrote:El Cheapo Giro Transfer helmet from Performance - $20
Claimed: 280g, actual 282g.

Mine started at 295g. But after extensive shaping of the styrofoam to get it to fit my head perfectly, and removing the adjuster and straps and replacing them with ribbon, it weighs 230g and vents better as well.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

ARRRRRGGGGG!!!! I love the looks of my new Lazer Genesis, but there is no place to put your glasses!!! WTF??????? I do a lot of climbing, and when you are grinding up a hill dripping sweat the last thing you want is your glasses keeping cool air off of your face and dripping sweat all on the insides. I guess I will have to put them in my pocket. This sucks.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Lightest would be foam Rudy Project helmets. I have one somewhere.
But serious weenie should have one of these. No problems with ventilation either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

spinwax wrote:my new Lazer Genesis, but there is no place to put your glasses!!! WTF???????

Deal breaker!

Not cool.