The Helmet Weight and Info Thread.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Anyone know when the 2011 Uvex FP3 National Colours models come out. Look nice.
ImageImageImageImageImage

kenji

by kenji

OGK Mostro (Size S/M): 177g (actual measured weight)
http://www.ogkhelmet.com/english/bicycle/03/index.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

worstshotever

by worstshotever

prendrefeu wrote:Las Victory, Matte Black (2010) - 54-59: 256g
Las Squalo, Red/Carbon/White (2008) - 54-59: 290g

Can anyone "weigh" in on the LAS Istrion helmet? Seems nice and bonktown was blowing them out.

GZA

by GZA

spinwax wrote:
GZA wrote:Specialized Prevail Size Medium 196g actual

Where did you get a Prevail? They will not be available here till at least the middle to end of Dec with any luck. I guess it is due to meeting the U.S. standards.

Hi - I purchased mine in the UK - got it on order before they arrived so I guess at the front of the line. Very happy with it :)

swinter

by swinter

Specialized 2D, large. claimed: 284. actual 272.

The Prevail looks like a nice upgrade. When I need to replace my helmet, that will probably be the one.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Another Catlike Whisper Plus, size L (59/61), ready to be put on the head: claimed 270g, actual 278g.

Fully agree on that sunglasses pain discussed earlier, though :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

doverman

by doverman

Louis Garneau x-lite Medium - 195 grams

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

^^^ do you have the new X-Lite? I didn't think they were available yet. How do you like it?

doverman

by doverman

I like the helmet as it is nice to have the adjustment system built into the straps. Light, but still feels substantial.

Colin

by Colin

2010 Uvex FP 3.0 - 342g
2010 LAS Squalo - 324g
2010 Giro Prolight - 235g

All of these are the largest size available.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

^^Colin, the Uvex are tanks huh? Is the 3.1 the same weight as your 3.0? I was told sunglasses don't fit into the Uvex either. Is this true?

I think the Prolight might be my next helmet if my darn Prevail doesn't show up. I think I can squeeze my ol head into a small. Anyone have the real weight of a small Prolight?

hockinsk

by hockinsk

The FP1 is much lighter ~250g and a fait bit slimmer than the FP3 and normally a little bit cheaper too FWIW.

djconnel

by djconnel

My Specialized 2D, purchased from UK, 199.7 grams size medium out of the box. Curious thing is it gained a few grams since. NaCl, I suspect.

Anyway, Velonews claims the Prevail was 230 grams for size medium. I wonder if there's a different version for the US and the UK, due to the stricter clamp restrictions in the US.

If so, folks may consider ordering from the UK instead of buying within the US (USAC accepts either Euro or US certification).

Colin

by Colin

spinwax wrote:^^Colin, the Uvex are tanks huh? Is the 3.1 the same weight as your 3.0? I was told sunglasses don't fit into the Uvex either. Is this true?

I think the Prolight might be my next helmet if my darn Prevail doesn't show up. I think I can squeeze my ol head into a small. Anyone have the real weight of a small Prolight?

Sorry, I just now saw this. Yeah the Uvex aren't very light, but they sure are comfortable! Not sure about the 3.1. And nope sunglasses don't fit.

The Prolight's are very nice, but they are kind of strange looking. kind of make you look like a mushroom :lol: .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

I just replaced my older Bell Ghisallo today with a Specialized S-works. Claimed weight 225, actual 219 (size small). I almost went with a Giro Atmos (I liked the colors better), but the S-works fit a bit better and weighed 70g less. Both are last years models and on sale at the local Bike Source for about $100 (about 60% off).