Brightest, lightest and not too expensive rear lights?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jwb96

by jwb96

There's a .5 watt and 1 watt SuperFlash. I have the lesser and have no problems with viability, but I hear the 1w is killer. It's the strobe pattern as much as the brightness on these. Highly recommend.

rjfrzb

by rjfrzb

+1 on the Cygolite Hotshot.
Wide range of patterns and adjustable brightness. Great visibility when needed or very friendly to other riders in group rides. USB rechargable. Battery lasts 5 hours or more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Smart lights are brilliant! I got stopped by a marshal after one tt and told it was so bright you could see it for about a mile! and have had drivers complain its too bright (there is no such thing IMHO! especially when barrelling down a dual carriageway!) they do munch batteries quite quickly though!
Lunar R1 is the best for visibility with a very bright 1w main bulb. Not so great in wet weather as the switch isn't sealed very well so turns itself on automatically and won't go off till its dried out. Some might call this a safety feature...

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I don't get it. :noidea:
Brightest REAR light? As long as you are have a bright enough one, OK. But once it gets too bright, it's actually harder for cars overtaking you to judge distances.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

de zwarten wrote:I don't get it. :noidea:
Brightest REAR light? As long as you are have a bright enough one, OK. But once it gets too bright, it's actually harder for cars overtaking you to judge distances.

Well the idea in Britain anyhow would be that
1. They might actually pay some attention to you being in the road! and
2. that by making it difficult they might actually take those few extra seconds to think how to pass you safely and with enough space, rather than the typical mindset of "yeh, i can fit through that gap." usually cutting very close past your elbow and bars.

3. as I race on dual carriageways 2-3 times a week( usually at dusk or early morning) during the main season its nice to know that they will notice you from some distance away, to give them time to do something about it, as closing distances at ~40mph difference are quite short!

Its not unfeasibly bright though, just don't try and follow a rider less than 5m and you won't get any retina burn. :shock: