HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: UnderArmour?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 am 

Not really cycling related, but it goes to the aero topic-- the US speed skaters are complaining their skinsuits are to blame for their lack of performance at the olympics. I've always thought underarmour was overrated (and overpriced) crap. Interested to hear what others think.

Post subject: UnderArmour?
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 am 

Post subject: Re: UnderArmour?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 am 

I have a lot of Underarmor stuff and I like the feel of it when I use it for a base layer. But I wouldn't recommend buying it because it smells after a while and my wife or I cannot seem to get rid of the smell. All my pieces have the same funk too after about two months of use (about once or twice a week). I had the same issues with other synthetics such as Target's C9 gear and some golf shirts form numerous manufactures. I've had much better luck with more expensive base layers from Castelli and cheaper stuff from Riddell. I think Underarmor is about 40% higher priced than what it's worth.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:50 am 

white vinegar in the wash helps get rid of the funky smell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:55 am 

I used to use the Coldgear stuff for base layer until I started using merino wool. The UA stuff is crap and it leaves me feeling damp due to it not wicking nearly as well as merino does. The Assos base layer works very well also.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:58 am 

rijndael wrote:
white vinegar in the wash helps get rid of the funky smell.

Tried that. It removed some of the funky smells from my golf shirts but not the Underarmor or my C9 stuff. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 am 

Note to self... don't buy underarmor.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:58 am 

Same issue (smell). and my wife uses a little vinegar when washing and it will remove some of smell. I've had them for 3 yrs now - the upside to them is they are very durable and have go through many different scenarios and kept me warm (even cycling), etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 am 
Administrator

mdeth1313 wrote:
Not really cycling related, but it goes to the aero topic-- the US speed skaters are complaining their skinsuits are to blame for their lack of performance at the olympics. I've always thought underarmour was overrated (and overpriced) crap. Interested to hear what others think.

Well, if performances are lacking, you need at least something to blame. Because, since the year 2005 we seem to lack to carry responsability.

That, and the Mulder twins are nephews of my wife, so we don't realy mind the US speed skaters complaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm 

Some of the skaters are switching suits, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. I couldn't help but notice the Dutch are using Craft. I have several craft items I use for cycling (and other activities) and I find them far superior to the underamour stuff (and often cheaper).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:54 pm 

You have to remember that UA made their debut offering form fit tops and bottoms that provided protection from artificial turf burns. Their garments, being a relatively dense weave worked well in this respect. They eventually decided to broaden their market by offering these as base layers for other sports however, the weave and construction was no where near optimum for wicking, much less insulation. Construction of the fabric has changed over the years to better address new sports market (running, cycling, etc) - and it has improved, although its still no match for wool or other higher tech synthetics (e.g.; Craft, Castelli, etc). Apparently UA is now trying to market their compression garments for aero activities like speed skating. They apparently don't realize that construction should be optimized for specific athletic sports activities. No one size fits all.

I have a couple of their garments and the evo Coldgear tights are Ok when temps are in the 40's and 50's, and you don't need much insulation. The tops though, they still do not wick very well and although advertised for winter, the insulation properties are poor. I pretty much only use wool on top these days. It works very well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm 

Blaming the Mach 39 is just so much garbage. Truth is, they should have ditched Utah and skated in Milwaukee, instead.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:27 am 

I use UA for my baselayer (cold gear and heat gear). I've been using it for over three years now, and no complaints. I haven't noticed any smells coming from any of my items. I wash with Tide w/ Febreeze, and have had good results.

2013 Superfly
2013 Madone 5