HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 pm 

I've been looking at quite a few and I'm thinking of going with a Canon S80, but I've seen mixed reviews of it. I want something slim and kind of light that I can carry in my jersey pocket and hopefully can shoot HDR images. I've seen some good pictures on here so I was hoping for some good recs.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:57 pm 

iphone 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:52 pm 

I got a Nikon coolpix. Can't remember the model as it was one of their cheap ones a couple of years back. I think it has now been replaced by one of the newer models. In any case, it was/is good enough for some very nice shots. Most of the point and shoot cameras these days are so far above and beyond what the "good cameras" used to be that you'll be fine with just about any entry model of Canon or Nikon. For serious pictures, I use a Canon DSLR. One thing I have learned for sure is that the camera helps very little as it is the photographer that takes the picture that makes it very good. :noidea:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 pm 

I was going to say my iPhone 4 too... takes great videos/photos, good for checking out results at the mid ride coffee shop break, mp3 player, mapping, gps... all in one package (saving weight)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:48 pm 

Sony WX1. It's light, compact and has a wide lens (24mm equiv).

(That's with battery and memory card)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:54 pm 

My friend, you just took the whole ww thing to whole new level LOL.................. :beerchug:

iPhone 4 is good, but I would be extremely hesitant to use it while riding the bike Stopped? Yes. The camera has the advantage with the little cord of you being able to reach in your pocket, grab the cord and put it around your wrist, take it out, and shoot without worrying about dropping it. Besides, you cannot zoom in that clearly and well with the iphone as you will with a point and shoot. iphone is still a very good choice and saves you the money at the same time.

Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted pic quote from previous post. Thanks, PP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 am 

OK, an iPhone 4 with a case :thumbup:
Really, with all the other bike related stuff it will do it's a great option. Just keep it dry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 am 

Canon S95

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 pm 
Shop Owner

The photo I just posted in the "On the Road Today" Thread was taken with my wife's Blackberry. It is pretty darn good, plus you get that nice little option of having a phone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 am 

The Sony WX1 is a great camera due to the G Lens, which means good optics, CMOS sensor which will deliver a much nicer photo as better tone, colour and low light performance. I am a photographer based within the UK and sort of know my lemons ! As fully paid up photographer, the camera I would put in my pocket is the WX1 or similar from Sony. Here are a couple of stock photos from me. Oddly enough, some recent sales have paid for a set of Zipp 303 and Zipp 808 ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the rec on the Sony.

Sorry everyone else, but I don't want a phone. Just a camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:01 pm 

Diego is right in that the Sony has a great lens, takes good low-light photos, and is very small. There are some issues with the flash, however, and is enough for many to return the camera after the first use. There are also reports of the zoom lens getting "stuck" after only a few months of use. My main reservation with using the Sony WX, iPhone 4, Blackberry... is the lack of a large zoom. While Diego's photos are great (surely a professional at work), I am positive they were not taken with a 3x or 5x zoom camera. You would never get that up close and see that much detail without a larger lens. Certainly cycling photos are different but I often want to take scenic pictures and was dissapointed when things didn't seem as impressive when I uploaded the photos. Switching to a 10x zoom camera was a great balance between framing the shot properly, getting the detail I wanted to see, and having it fit in my jersey pocket.

Some mentioned Canon Powershot cameras which take beautiful photos and are nice and slim. I actually got my girlfriend one a few years ago and it lasted less than 1 year before the lens started getting "stuck" and wouldn't open, and it would give strange errors sometimes. She even used a case and certainly wasn't using it for things as dirty as cycling can be. She liked my camera so much that we now have 2 Panasonic Lumix TZ5 cameras with 10x zoom. It's a little bigger than a "slim" camera but fits in my pocket just the same. It isn't waterproof like the Lumix TS2 (with only 4.6x zoom) but a simple plastic bag does the trick. It is pretty tough and can take a bit of dirt, grime, drops, and scratches. It also has a beautiful 3 inch LCD screen and records 720p video. The TZ5 has been out for a couple of years and the newer equivalent is the Lumix ZS7 with 12x zoom so if you don't mind a little extra weight (240 grams), it's a great camera for taking beautiful photos. It's true that you don't always need 10x zoom, but for non-pro photography hacks like me, I only want 1 camera for everything and a more versitile camera means being able to capture any (unexpected) moment.
Here are some samples from a few rides recently, straight out the jersey pocket:

Some other 10x+ cameras that get decent reviews are:
Nikon S8000
Sony H55
Sony HX5v

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 pm 

Beautiful photographs! I have one concern with the Lumix cameras- there is no optical viewfinder. I am using a Pentax Optio S10, and one of its 2 significant faults (the other being very long shutter lag, but it is an older model) is that in very bright light the lcd washes out and it becomes impossible to frame the shot. Since I also use the camera while skiing and climbing this is a major liability. The thing I like about several of the Canon Elph models is that they are very slim and light but still have a small viewfinder, and image quality is surprisingly good for an economy point and shoot. Are there any like the Lumix with an optical finder? I was even toying with the idea of just going bigger with something like the Canon G12, but I am concerned that I would soon tire of something that big in my jersey pocket!

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 pm 

dmp, you might want to check out a Lumix at a local store first. Most people are really surprised by the quality and brightness of the screen (some fellow cyclists said so when they offered to take a photo with my camera). I've never even thought of an optical viewfinder until you mentioned it. I think its great even in direct sunlight. Maybe you do need a viewfinder, but check it out first.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next