Giro versus Sidi road shoe sizing

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Have not seen that this was previously discussed, but if yes, please point me in the right direction.

I currently wear Sidi road shoes (Ergo 2, special order mis-matched sizes) and the largest shoe is a size 47.
I am considering the new Giro Empire because simple laces may solve some fit problems of mine.

There is no place to try these on yet in my area, but several mail order sites appear to have them and one site's rep advised that the sizing - length wise - would be the same. 47 Sidi Ergo 2 = 47 Giro Empire.

However, from the foot length comparisons (cm) online between Sidi and Giro, it seems I should size down to a 46 or 46.5 in Giro.

Anyone else make the plunge recently from Sidi to Giro who can advise about sizing differences?

Much obliged ahead of time.

marsbe

by marsbe

I'm also interested in this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

Can you give us links to the websites which sell the shoes please? Sorry if this is OT...
It isn't going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Not certain that this is helpful, but I have always been a Sidi 45 regular. Recently the wife bought me a pair of Giro shoes (thinking they were Sidis). Also in 45. I find the Giro shoes fine fit-wise, but they are a bit more snug - I do not use any of the fancy schmancy insoles provided. So I would go up half a size to be comfortable.

For reference, they are a pair of Giro Trans.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

dmp

by dmp

Pete, by snug do you mean that the Giro's are narrower, or shorter? As someone with narrow feet I am always looking for narrow shoes! (I use the Sidi's now, as they seem to be the narrowest out there; I was in Diadora before, but they were too wide).

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I would say that the Giros are a bit narrower than the Sidis.

All personal impressions, so take this with a grain of salt. What I can tell you is that I tried them on with the insole provided by Giro and thought I needed to return them. Took out the insole, and they fit fine.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The advice from most Giro retailers and other sources received so far is settling on an even trade from Sidi to Giro in terms of length - i.e. Sidi 47 would = Giro 47.
(I even had a few people pull out the inserts and measure those up for me.)
Mine are on order and expected early Jan at this point.
I'll report back when they are in hand (or, more appropriately, on foot).

HakeemT

by HakeemT

I just went from a Sidi (Genius 6.6) 46 to a Giro (Factor) 45.5. Very happy with the sizing. Most reviews I could find online mentioned sizing down 0.5 from Sidi and it seems to have worked for me.

Cento

by Cento

Exactly the same case for me,,all my Sidis are 42 but I ordered 41.5 on Rapha shoes which made by Giro,its right on spot as rapha sizing chart advise..

HakeemT wrote:I just went from a Sidi (Genius 6.6) 46 to a Giro (Factor) 45.5. Very happy with the sizing. Most reviews I could find online mentioned sizing down 0.5 from Sidi and it seems to have worked for me.

noctilux

by noctilux

Same thing for me. I use a Sidi 44 for most models including my MTB shoes. Got myself Giro Empires in 44. The Empire seems slightly larger, a good thing the laces can make it more snug. I could live with a 43.5 for the Empire.

HakeemT wrote:I just went from a Sidi (Genius 6.6) 46 to a Giro (Factor) 45.5. Very happy with the sizing. Most reviews I could find online mentioned sizing down 0.5 from Sidi and it seems to have worked for me.

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

I'm 45 in a Sidi Ergo 2 and 3s and 45 in Giro Gauge and Empire.

Perfect size match for me.

djm

by djm

44 in DMT and Sidi. I went for 44 in the Empire SLXs also, and they are as others have experienced a little more snug than DMT or Sidi. Empire SLX 44 is almost perfect for my foot.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Just to bookend this thread, I ordered the size 47 Giro and they fit wonderfully. I now have three pairs of the Empire and the Sidis are collecting dust.
For what it is worth, the Giro width is a tad wider and longer (we are talking 2 milimeters or so here) which works for me. Both brands fit me in 47, but the Giro is more comfortable due to the smidge of extra space and the lacing system.

Sykes

by Sykes

I take a 44 in both. When I was last looking I was deciding between the empires and wires.

cendres

by cendres

44 in both for me as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com