French Alps rides?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pastronef

by pastronef

airwise wrote:They are putting lots of tar and gravel on the Sarenne right now so it will possibly be horrible next week. They may however have finished. It would be worth asking in Alpe though before heading over.

thank you Airwise. it looks like the bad weather conditions forced the local workers to delay the works on Sarenne. that's maybe why the Criterium du Dauphine still got a rough road.
I'll surely ask in Alpe :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

I climbed it from Mizoen with a group today. Very gravelly from Km 3 upwards and across the summit. Descending today would be frankly lunacy. It seems the repairs are now in full swing.

pastronef

by pastronef

mmmm... maybe I'll have to postpone my ride to the last week of June. or maybe the road will be swept by the cars and cyclists on the week end, before I get there monday... :wink:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Just confirmed 2 weeks in Saint Michel de Maurienne.

Now, to find some rides! Already looking at this site

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/map-of ... ng-climbs/

but have a feeling there are more cols than listed. Also considering a big day out and getting Sestriere in...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There's 2 sides to every col, Nick ;-) That's doubled it straight away.

The alps are quite big, esp down that end; big long valleys and big lumps from my experiences, and with less roads that cross them than you'd imagine.
Obviously you've got telegraphe,galibier, glandon etc in one direction. Or head from la chamber over the Madeline, and hit the back way in to Albertville and the climbs from there (Croix de fer etc), or even up to Beaufort and the Cormet. Could start making a few BIG rides at this point :lol:

There are some real gems though that don't get a mention as they're too small for the tour etc. Sites such as climbbybike or even just zoom in on strava and see where people ride.

Be prepared for a couple of mountain weather days though in that 2 weeks; use them as recovery days up and down the valleys etc
Official cafe stop tester

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'll be taking a Gabba jersey and winter gloves. I've been taught a lesson by the Victorian Alps (child's play compared to these) once before.

Thinking of doing the Marmotte route, from St Michel, straight up Galbier. Only question is if I go back down Alpe d'Huez or drop down and take the Sarenne (no idea if that's possible) to get to Glandon.

Some big days will certainly be happening.

maquisard

by maquisard

You don't want to take the Sarenne but rather the balcony road past Villard Reculas from Huez village. This will bring you down to Allemont and on to the base of the Glandon.

I hope you have a hire car, a trip to Briancon, Barcelonnette or further North are a must if you are in the area.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No car hire. Have to ride where ever I want to go.

pastronef

by pastronef

the Marmotte ride will be a big one. Maquisard pointed at the right road from Alpe to Allemont (the big reservoir lake). From there Glandon/Croix de Fer is a loooong way up. you're lucky it's the last climb :)

Dalai

by Dalai

Tinea Pedis wrote:Thinking of doing the Marmotte route, from St Michel, straight up Galbier. Only question is if I go back down Alpe d'Huez or drop down and take the Sarenne (no idea if that's possible) to get to Glandon.

The Col de Sarenne descent takes you back in the direction of the Galibier. Suggestion by maquisard involves a partial descent of Alpe d'huez before cutting right around to Allemont in the direction of the Glandon.

Talking of Allemont - it would involve riding from St Jean over the Glandon or Croix de Fer, but I thought the Col du Sabot was the hidden gem around Bourg d'Oisans.

For some more ride ideas around Bourg d'Oisans 30 rides - http://bike-oisans.com/en/footer/guides-to-download

For around St Jean - including more obscure rides 41 rides - http://en.calameo.com/read/000224997aaaddc39c9be

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Thanks mate.

And staying in St Michel now (well, from the 11th). Levithan's suggestion of airbnb came up trumps.

Dalai

by Dalai

Nice TP. Enjoy!

pastronef

by pastronef

not French Alps, but Vaucluse.

I'll be in Bedoin MONT VENTOUX around August 11 to 13

anyone living in the area or there on Holiday?

thencameyou

by thencameyou

just wanted to bump this post. I will be in Bourg D'Oisans and Argeles-Gazost for a week each in early-mid september. Did Bourg for a week last year and did most of the classic rides:
- Marmotte loop
- Sarenne / Balcons d'Auris
- Les Deux Alpe
- Col de morte / col d'ornon
- Alpe d'Huez

Wanting to do a few other rides while there this time, The Madeleine appeals but it's a very big day to ride from Bourg. Also up the Glandon and then round to other side of Croix de Fer.
Any other suggestions for the Alps?
Also good rides (preferably loops) from Argeles-Gazost. Would like to do Tourmalet, Soulor, maybe Hautacam. others up for discussion...

Rudi

by Rudi

I found this site to be usefull when I was there a few years back:

http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisan ... cdf_page=1

Might have been posted earlier in the thread.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com